Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lens cleaning fluid. - help

Lens cleaning fluid. - help

frederick

Epoch wrote:
> "DoN. Nichols" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> According to Epoch <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>> "frederick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>> [ ... ]

>>> Thanks to all who replied (even the comedian)
>>>
>>> One question - will a pharmacy actually sell me the stuff?

>> I'm answering from the perspective of someone in the USA, so
>> things may well be different where you are.
>>
>> Isopropanol *should* be readily available from a pharmacy, as it
>> is often used for cleaning areas around wounds prior to applying
>> bandages. Our local pharmacys (and the drugs section of the supermarket
>> as well) offer 70% and 91%.
>>
>> Here -- to get pure *ethanol* (well -- something like 95%, as it
>> tends to absorb water from the air) in *this* state (Virginia) you go to
>> the Alcohol Control Board -- where you buy the various stronger
>> alcoholic beverages (wine and beer you can get other places) and you can
>> buy it -- with a rather stiff tax on it, because it is being sold there
>> for consumption by humans.
>>
>> When I worked for the US Government, we kept some bottles around
>> for lens cleaning purposes (we worked with night vision equipment,
>> mostly), and we had to go through a major pain of record keeping for the
>> bottles, with only one bottle open and available for use at a time. The
>> rest had to be locked up.
>>
>>> - I mean, you
>>> can't even buy more than 24 paracetamol tablets these days - just in case
>>> you're thinking of trying escaping from the misery of New Britain - can't
>>> even buy wood glue, for that matter, unless the store manager decides
>>> that
>>> you're not going to inhale the stuff! What a nasty little country this
>>> has
>>> become.

>> Glues and such have been under some level of control here for
>> many years -- because of kids inhaling them, and some dying of liver
>> damage or other things of the sort. Those glues have had additives
>> tossed in to make them a bit less good as glues, but very unpleasant to
>> inhale. IIRC, the control of the glues (at least model airplane cements
>> and similar) started in the late 1950s. But -- if you are buying from
>> an industrial supplier, you are presumed to be beyond the sniffing age.
>> The restrictions are more likely to be enforced in a place which
>> typically sells to kids, like model shops.
>>
>> Other solvents, such as carbon tetrachloride, have been pretty
>> much unavailable except in chem labs, because of the number of people
>> who have died while using it. For that matter, I had a rather nasty
>> bout when I used it to clean the gates of two 16mm movie projectors at
>> school. I was one of those allocated the job of projection for the
>> classes.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> DoN.

> About 10 years ago Tandy (now defunct in the UK) used to sell some wonderful
> stuff called 'Freon' (I think) I used it for cleaning tape heads and it was
> the best stuff ever! - it evaporated almost instantly, left no residue, and
> made a first class job of cleaning heads and rollers.
>
> Then, without warning, it was gone - withdrawn because of a European
> directive. I don't know what was in it, but I've never been able to find
> anything similar since.

Freon is IIRC a Dupont trade name for their CFCs, including
refrigerants. Unfortunately, it was destroying the Ozone layer.
Damn shame - I've never had car air conditioning that worked as well as
the ones I had in the 80's.

eds

"Epoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]

>> bout when I used it to clean the gates of two 16mm movie projectors at
>> school. I was one of those allocated the job of projection for the
>> classes.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> DoN.

> About 10 years ago Tandy (now defunct in the UK) used to sell some
> wonderful stuff called 'Freon' (I think) I used it for cleaning tape
> heads and it was the best stuff ever! - it evaporated almost instantly,
> left no residue, and made a first class job of cleaning heads and rollers.
>
> Then, without warning, it was gone - withdrawn because of a European
> directive. I don't know what was in it, but I've never been able to find
> anything similar since. even Eclipse fluid isn't as good.
>
> Perhaps I could ask you my question about Isopropyl alcohol? - does it
> leave any residue?, and is it safe for lens coatings?

Do you wear glasses? Use the stuff that optometrists sell for cleaning. They
also have lintless papers. Most glasses are optical plastic and much less
tough than camera lenses.
EDS

Dave Martindale

"Epoch" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>About 10 years ago Tandy (now defunct in the UK) used to sell some wonderful
>stuff called 'Freon' (I think) I used it for cleaning tape heads and it was
>the best stuff ever! - it evaporated almost instantly, left no residue, and
>made a first class job of cleaning heads and rollers.

Probably Freon TF. It was not flammable like petroleum-based solvents,
and not toxic to people. I remember computer service people buying it
in gallow jugs.

>Then, without warning, it was gone - withdrawn because of a European
>directive. I don't know what was in it, but I've never been able to find
>anything similar since. even Eclipse fluid isn't as good.

It turned out to be one of the CFCs most harmful to ozone. So it went
away.

>Perhaps I could ask you my question about Isopropyl alcohol? - does it leave
>any residue?, and is it safe for lens coatings?

I get pure isopropyl from an electronics supplier (Active Electronics).
It evaporates without residue. I have also gotten stuff that is
supposed to be pure isopropyl from a pharmacy, though I haven't tried
the evaporation test on it.

Isopropyl is one of the first things I try (after mild detergent and
water) for cleaning things - it seems to be less agressive than either
methanol or ethanol on plastics, for example. I have used it on lenses,
to remove blobs that regular water-based lens cleaner would not.

Dave

Epoch

> [...]
>>> school. I was one of those allocated the job of projection for the
>>> classes.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>> DoN.

>> About 10 years ago Tandy (now defunct in the UK) used to sell some
>> wonderful stuff called 'Freon' (I think) I used it for cleaning tape
>> heads and it was the best stuff ever! - it evaporated almost instantly,
>> left no residue, and made a first class job of cleaning heads and
>> rollers.
>>
>> Then, without warning, it was gone - withdrawn because of a European
>> directive. I don't know what was in it, but I've never been able to find
>> anything similar since.
> >

> Freon is IIRC a Dupont trade name for their CFCs, including refrigerants.
> Unfortunately, it was destroying the Ozone layer.
> Damn shame - I've never had car air conditioning that worked as well as

Yes, I remember Tandy saying something about that when I asked where my
Freon had disappeared to.

Not many UK cars had air-con in the 80's Most do now - probably because of
all the damage done by Freon

so many substances are getting banned now - brake pads don't last because
asbestos has vanished, and the new compounds seem to wear the brake discs
(rotors) remarkably quickly - or maybe they're just using softer metal
because some ingredient for the steel is now on the verboten list.

I don't know what things are like in New Zealand, but the UK is in the grip
of safety mania! - it's now illegal for household electrical work to be
carried out by anyone who is not 'competent' (read 'Registered Tradesman'),
Gas has had the same restrictions for some years, smokers are near to being
lynched by roving teams of Government Health Inspectors, various products
are now starting to come with the sort of warnings that, until now, have
been the stuff of urban legends ('Never Operate Your New Flymo While Taking
A Shower', that sort of stuff!) and every supplier or retailer of goods and
services is in a state of near panic, and constantly thinking ten steps
ahead to try and determine whether their actions are going to land them in
civil litigation!

It's awful, really - one suspects that it's all part of a sinister plan to
reduce the population to an infantile state of utter dependency , prior to a
totalitarian coupe. If so, it's succeeding brilliantly - the nation that
carved out the greatest empire the world has ever seen, that endured the
agony of the Somme trenches without a Grief Councilor to bless themselves
with, and who stood firm while the Nazi's bombed cities to rubble, are now
too nervous to switch on an electric light bulb without consulting
appropriate instructions first.

If I win the lottery, I'm on the first available boat to somewhere sane , no
doubt about it!

Rob

eds wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>> DoN.

>> About 10 years ago Tandy (now defunct in the UK) used to sell some
>> wonderful stuff called 'Freon' (I think) I used it for cleaning tape
>> heads and it was the best stuff ever! - it evaporated almost instantly,
>> left no residue, and made a first class job of cleaning heads and rollers.
>>
>> Then, without warning, it was gone - withdrawn because of a European
>> directive. I don't know what was in it, but I've never been able to find
>> anything similar since. even Eclipse fluid isn't as good.
>>
>> Perhaps I could ask you my question about Isopropyl alcohol? - does it
>> leave any residue?, and is it safe for lens coatings?
>>
>> Cheers.
>>

> Do you wear glasses? Use the stuff that optometrists sell for cleaning. They
> also have lintless papers. Most glasses are optical plastic and much less

Yes, I was going to give that idea.

Lencrafters have some wipes that are packaged one wipe at the time. It
can be used on Anti-reflective coatings.

What ever you use, make sure it is meant for AR coating. Stuff does not
smear much at all, and lenses get pretty clean.

Hope it helps,

Rob

Bob Williams

Epoch wrote:
> Can anyone in the UK point me to a readily available lens cleaning fluid?
>
> I've been using Eclipse, but have run out and it's only available from a
> couple of on-line stores in the UK - which means waiting until at least next
> Tuesday for delivery, and that only if I pay about 7 for overnight
> delivery.
>
> I've tried some stuff that claimed to be lens fluid - which turned out to be
> greasy water with the evaporative qualities of concrete!.
>
> What I need is a high grade alcohol type fluid that will evaporate cleanly
> and leave no residue. The trouble is that in Nanny UK it now seems
> impossible to get hold of anything suitable, lest you sniff it, or drink it,
> or give it to the cat, or some other bizarre use.
>
> Any easily available solution would be greatly appreciated.

Did you try breathing on it and letting moisture from your warm breath
condense on the lens? This produces pure water.
Then wipe it off with a piece of microfiber cloth.
That combination is super safe and will remove even "oily" smudges.
Bob Williams

frederick

Epoch wrote:

> Yes, I remember Tandy saying something about that when I asked where my
> Freon had disappeared to.
>
> Not many UK cars had air-con in the 80's Most do now - probably because of
> all the damage done by Freon
>
> so many substances are getting banned now - brake pads don't last because
> asbestos has vanished, and the new compounds seem to wear the brake discs
> (rotors) remarkably quickly - or maybe they're just using softer metal
> because some ingredient for the steel is now on the verboten list.
>
> I don't know what things are like in New Zealand, but the UK is in the grip
> of safety mania! - it's now illegal for household electrical work to be
> carried out by anyone who is not 'competent' (read 'Registered Tradesman'),
> Gas has had the same restrictions for some years, smokers are near to being
> lynched by roving teams of Government Health Inspectors, various products
> are now starting to come with the sort of warnings that, until now, have
> been the stuff of urban legends ('Never Operate Your New Flymo While Taking
> A Shower', that sort of stuff!) and every supplier or retailer of goods and
> services is in a state of near panic, and constantly thinking ten steps
> ahead to try and determine whether their actions are going to land them in
> civil litigation!
>
> It's awful, really - one suspects that it's all part of a sinister plan to
> reduce the population to an infantile state of utter dependency , prior to a
> totalitarian coupe. If so, it's succeeding brilliantly - the nation that
> carved out the greatest empire the world has ever seen, that endured the
> agony of the Somme trenches without a Grief Councilor to bless themselves
> with, and who stood firm while the Nazi's bombed cities to rubble, are now
> too nervous to switch on an electric light bulb without consulting
> appropriate instructions first.
>
> If I win the lottery, I'm on the first available boat to somewhere sane , no
> doubt about it!

Things are the same in NZ now for sure.
There's few sane places left to go in the world.

The only way we can still escape fairly well for a few days at a time is
on our small yacht.
Sadly, and always "justified" by the irresponsible actions of a few,
there is always talk of new regulations for this.
At the moment you don't need a certificate to say that the navigation
lights work - if they don't, then you get run over by a big ship at
night and if you are lucky enough not to drown, you are left with a big
fine from the authorities and a boat at the bottom of the sea. You
don't need a registered gas fitter to connect up the cooker. If you use
gas and connect things badly, then perhaps you will get blown 100 metres
in the air one day. These things do happen, and after the
investigation, there are calls to regulate. As things are going, one
day the calls will be stronger, and there will be too few left to resist.

Mike Coon

frederick wrote:
> The only way we can still escape fairly well for a few days at a time
> is on our small yacht.
> Sadly, and always "justified" by the irresponsible actions of a few,
> there is always talk of new regulations for this.

I'm amazed, because I had read (I have a subscription to a yachtie magazine)
that NZ were one of the most stringent and wouldn't even let you get your
feet wet without meeting their list of working safety gear on the yacht.

Mike.
--
If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

David Kelson

Epoch wrote:
> Can anyone in the UK point me to a readily available lens cleaning fluid?
>
> I've been using Eclipse, but have run out and it's only available from a
> couple of on-line stores in the UK - which means waiting until at least next
> Tuesday for delivery, and that only if I pay about 7 for overnight
> delivery.
>
> I've tried some stuff that claimed to be lens fluid - which turned out to be
> greasy water with the evaporative qualities of concrete!.
>
> What I need is a high grade alcohol type fluid that will evaporate cleanly
> and leave no residue. The trouble is that in Nanny UK it now seems
> impossible to get hold of anything suitable, lest you sniff it, or drink it,
> or give it to the cat, or some other bizarre use.
>
> Any easily available solution would be greatly appreciated.

>From Panavision you can get "PANCRO" Professional Lens Cleaner.

Non-Streaking
Non-Residue
Non-Toxic
Fast Drying
We use it on the movie set for all things optical.
Best regards, David

David Kelson