Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon G7 announced

Canon G7 announced

Daniel Silevitch

There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review, the
answer is "yes".

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp

The overview:
"Canon has finally announced the long-awaited new G series compact to
replace the G6 (launched August 2004). The $550 PowerShot G7 features a
new Digic III processor, 10 megapixel (1/1.8-inch) CCD and a 6x
(35-200mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. The G7 also sports a hot
shoe, face detection software and ISO settings up to 1600.
Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which appears to
have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact models -
presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital SLRs."

-dms

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:15:53 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
> continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review, the
> answer is "yes".
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp
>
> The overview:
> "Canon has finally announced the long-awaited new G series compact to
> replace the G6 (launched August 2004). The $550 PowerShot G7 features a
> new Digic III processor, 10 megapixel (1/1.8-inch) CCD and a 6x
> (35-200mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. The G7 also sports a hot
> shoe, face detection software and ISO settings up to 1600.
> Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which appears to
> have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact models -
> presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital SLRs."

Following up to myself, I have to giggle slightly at this product shot:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/ca...G7-w-580EX.jpg

The camera looks like an accessory hanging off of the flash, rather than
the more normal other way around.

-dms

David J Taylor

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:15:53 GMT, Daniel Silevitch
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
>> continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review,
>> the answer is "yes".
>>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp
>>
>> The overview:
>> "Canon has finally announced the long-awaited new G series compact to
>> replace the G6 (launched August 2004). The $550 PowerShot G7
>> features a new Digic III processor, 10 megapixel (1/1.8-inch) CCD
>> and a 6x (35-200mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. The G7 also
>> sports a hot shoe, face detection software and ISO settings up to
>> 1600. Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which
>> appears to have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact
>> models - presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital
>> SLRs."

> Following up to myself, I have to giggle slightly at this product
> shot:
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/ca...G7-w-580EX.jpg
>
> The camera looks like an accessory hanging off of the flash, rather
> than
> the more normal other way around.
>
> -dms

Yes, quite!

Do you think this means there will be no S4 IS? The G7 zoom is a little
limited at 210mm (equivalent) .... but otherwise there is quite a lot of
overlap. No EVF either.

David

Daniel Silevitch

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:50:40 GMT, David J Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

> Do you think this means there will be no S4 IS? The G7 zoom is a little
> limited at 210mm (equivalent) .... but otherwise there is quite a lot of
> overlap. No EVF either.

Different target audience, I would guess. Note that at a suggested list
price of somewhat above $500, it's quite a bit pricier than the $400 S3.
Bigger sensor, more pixels, flash hot shoe, the dedicated ISO dial,
etc., separate this from the S series.

Looking at the pictures, it has an optical finder, rather than an EVF.

-dms

David J Taylor

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:50:40 GMT, David J Taylor
> <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Do you think this means there will be no S4 IS? The G7 zoom is a
>> little limited at 210mm (equivalent) .... but otherwise there is
>> quite a lot of overlap. No EVF either.

> Different target audience, I would guess. Note that at a suggested
> list
> price of somewhat above $500, it's quite a bit pricier than the $400
> S3.
> Bigger sensor, more pixels, flash hot shoe, the dedicated ISO dial,
> etc., separate this from the S series.
>
> Looking at the pictures, it has an optical finder, rather than an EVF.
>
> -dms

Yes, I agree. Surprising that Canon choose to make their S3/S4 IS cameras
a middle-of-the-road model rather than a flagship model.

David

Philippe

David J Taylor wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 14:50:40 GMT, David J Taylor
>><(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you think this means there will be no S4 IS? The G7 zoom is a
>>>little limited at 210mm (equivalent) .... but otherwise there is
>>>quite a lot of overlap. No EVF either.

>>Different target audience, I would guess. Note that at a suggested
>>list
>>price of somewhat above $500, it's quite a bit pricier than the $400
>>S3.
>>Bigger sensor, more pixels, flash hot shoe, the dedicated ISO dial,
>>etc., separate this from the S series.
>>
>>Looking at the pictures, it has an optical finder, rather than an EVF.
>>
>>-dms

> Yes, I agree. Surprising that Canon choose to make their S3/S4 IS cameras
> a middle-of-the-road model rather than a flagship model.
>
> David

you and me both.. I'm hooked on the G series right now, but the G7 is
making me think fairly seriously about either stopping and looking at
the S2 or just saving up and hitting DSLR a little earlier than I
planned..

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

bugbear

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which appears to
> have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact models -
> presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital SLRs."

Hmm - it must be, since in software terms,
raw output is the easiest, and is pretty much a
zero-cost feature.

BugBear

SMS

Daniel Silevitch wrote:
> There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
> continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review, the
> answer is "yes".
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp

<snip>

They also dropped the tilt, twist and swivel LCD, which was a very
useful feature on the G series.

Still, the G7 is probably going to end up being the best
image-stabilized compact camera in terms of lens quality, noise, and
features (other than the lack of RAW).

Kinon O'Cann

Canon dropped RAW support on this one? What an amazingly stupid move!

WTF?????

"Daniel Silevitch" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
> continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review, the
> answer is "yes".
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp
>
> The overview:
> "Canon has finally announced the long-awaited new G series compact to
> replace the G6 (launched August 2004). The $550 PowerShot G7 features a
> new Digic III processor, 10 megapixel (1/1.8-inch) CCD and a 6x
> (35-200mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. The G7 also sports a hot
> shoe, face detection software and ISO settings up to 1600.
> Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which appears to
> have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact models -
> presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital SLRs."
>
> -dms

Keith

Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There was some speculation here recently about whether Canon would
> continue their G series. According to a press release on DP Review, the
> answer is "yes".
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0609/06091405_canon_g7.asp
>
> The overview:
> "Canon has finally announced the long-awaited new G series compact to
> replace the G6 (launched August 2004). The $550 PowerShot G7 features a
> new Digic III processor, 10 megapixel (1/1.8-inch) CCD and a 6x
> (35-200mm equiv.) image stabilized zoom lens. The G7 also sports a hot
> shoe, face detection software and ISO settings up to 1600.
> Disappointingly what it doesn't have is a raw mode, which appears to
> have been completely dropped by Canon for its compact models -
> presumably to protect the sales of entry-level digital SLRs."
>
> -dms

No RAW though... what were they thinking....!