Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > XD card corrupt

XD card corrupt

Salvador Freemanson

Hello,

My camera (Olympus) told me that the XD card is faulty. However, when
I put the card in a cardreader connected to a PC I was prompted to
format the card (which I did, losing all my holiday snaps). The PC can
now read and write to the card no problem.

But the camera still tells me the card is faulty.
That particular camera turned out to be faulty. But I have tried the
same card in two other cameras and get exactly the same result - card
unreadable in camera

Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Thanks

Salvador

Tony Sivori

Salvador wrote:

> My camera (Olympus) told me that the XD card is faulty. However, when I
> put the card in a cardreader connected to a PC I was prompted to format
> the card (which I did, losing all my holiday snaps). The PC can now read
> and write to the card no problem.
>
> But the camera still tells me the card is faulty. That particular camera
> turned out to be faulty. But I have tried the same card in two other
> cameras and get exactly the same result - card unreadable in camera
>
> Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

--
Tony Sivori

My Name

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:15:05 -0400, Tony Sivori <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.

The card works fine in the PC.

AZ Nomad

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:54:32 +0200, My Name <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:15:05 -0400, Tony Sivori <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

>>Format the card the card with your camera, not your PC.

>Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
>that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.

>The card works fine in the PC.

Is the card of a higher capacity than the camera will accept? Perhaps you
did something goofy like partition the card with entries the camera can't
handle, or format it with a file system incompatible w/ the camera? Try
deleting the card's partitions and then format it in the camera?

ASAAR

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:54:32 +0200, My Name wrote:

>>> My camera (Olympus) told me that the XD card is faulty. However, when I
>>> put the card in a cardreader connected to a PC I was prompted to format
>>> the card (which I did, losing all my holiday snaps). The PC can now read
>>> and write to the card no problem.

> Except that the camera (and two other cameras I've tried) tells me
> that the card is unreadable and refuse to format it.
>
> The card works fine in the PC.

It sounds as if your computer used the wrong format, one which is
incompatible with your cameras. Usually the format that creates
problems is done using FAT32. When using the Format option, either
from My Computer or from Windows Explorer, I can choose either FAT32
or FAT for the card's File System. After formatting the card with a
FAT file system your cameras should be able to see the card. If
they do, *then* format the card once more using the camera, just to
be safe. If afterwards you put the card in a card reader and get
another prompt asking you to format the card, ignore the request. I
used to get a similar format request when using a SCSI based card
reader, but only if the card was in the reader when the computer
booted up. After ignoring the format request there were no
problems, and files could be copied to and from the card. I tried
formatting cards in the reader a couple of times several years ago,
and afterwards only the computer could use the cards.