Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > AdobeRGB or sRGB?

AdobeRGB or sRGB?

John McWilliams

tomm42 wrote:
> bigfeet wrote:
>> First of all, thank you to all those that helped with my earlier posts.
>> I've finally taken the leap and gone digital (350D and Tamron
>> 17-55/2. and very happy so far.
>>
>> My question is: What is the difference, a setting on the 350D, between
>> AdobeRGB or sRGB? Is it only relevent to JPEGs or would it affect RAW
>> files as well?
>>
>> Thanks

> I would use Adobe RGB in the camera, if your pics are going only to the
> internet use sRGB. If you feel you are going to print aRGB is a better
> start. I found our local drugstore uses an aRGB model after a number of
> pictures I sent them came back looking flat. At 19 cents a print, not a
> crisis. Adobe RGB can always be converted to sRGB, but the other way
> you still only have the truncated sRGB color.

T-

I wonder if you missed the many answers already given, as you posted off
the original?

IAE, it would seem an isolated case where a local drugstore uses aRGB.
Did they tell you that or did you ascertain via testing?

--
john mcwilliams

Derek Fountain

> Browsers *do* use colo[u]r management, just in different ways from
> browser to browser.

How so? My Firefox browser under Linux isn't doing any colour management
- there's no colour management in the entire system.

A quick check of Firefox under Windows shows no difference in the
rendering of an image with an embedded profile compared to the same
image without a profile. So how do browsers use colour management?

--
http://www.derekfountain.org/

Paul Mitchum

Derek Fountain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Browsers *do* use colo[u]r management, just in different ways from
> > browser to browser.

> How so? My Firefox browser under Linux isn't doing any colour management -
> there's no colour management in the entire system.

Actually, linux is getting better about this, especially since the
release of lcms.

> A quick check of Firefox under Windows shows no difference in the
> rendering of an image with an embedded profile compared to the same image
> without a profile.

If the two images are both the same color profile and that color profile
happens to be sRGB then it could be that Firefox is assuming sRGB. Or it
could be honoring one profile and assuming sRGB for the other.

> So how do browsers use colour management?

In different ways from browser to browser, like I said. Some
browsers honor the embedded profile, some browsers default to sRGB, some
browsers use the monitor profile, and some browsers ignore the profile
altogether.

sRGB was designed to represent the color profile of an average CRT
monitor. So if you embed an sRGB profile, then browsers which honor
profiles will know what to do, browsers which assume sRGB will be
correct, and browsers which use the monitor profile or ignore the
profile altogether will probably be close, since sRGB is basically a
generic monitor profile.

Floyd L. Davidson

(E-Mail Removed)0m (Paul Mitchum) wrote:
>Derek Fountain <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> > Browsers *do* use colo[u]r management, just in different ways from
>> > browser to browser.

>> How so? My Firefox browser under Linux isn't doing any colour management -
>> there's no colour management in the entire system.

>Actually, linux is getting better about this, especially since the
>release of lcms.

Since *1998*, when lcms was initially released. Linux has had
managed color since roughly about the same time that it became
available on MS Windows.