Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Pentax K10d

Reply
Thread Tools

Pentax K10d

 
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
$US899 for body.
Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
400d / d80 / a100 / K10d

Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf


It claims to use a 22-bit A-D converter. Who are they trying to kid?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Paul Rubin wrote:
> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
>> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
>> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf

>
> It claims to use a 22-bit A-D converter. Who are they trying to kid?


More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.


Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
release writer went berserk with it:

Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion

The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.

The above paragraph is of course completely insane.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Mitchum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
> focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
> of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
> Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
> magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
> LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
> $US899 for body.
> Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
> 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d
>
> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf


I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
K11d with a pentaprism.

The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.
 
Reply With Quote
 
frederick
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Paul Rubin wrote:
> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

>
> Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
> further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
> release writer went berserk with it:
>
> Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
>
> The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
> faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
> into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
> million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
> digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
> 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
>
> The above paragraph is of course completely insane.


Oh - I didn't see all that - I agree. However at $899 for the general
feature set for this camera, the marketroids seem to have done a very
good job in other ways. I can't see any of these new dslr prices
holding - even at the low 400d level - after the early adopters (aka
real beta tester) market has been saturated and stock is sitting on the
shelf.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Mitchum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

>
> Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
> further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
> release writer went berserk with it:
>
> Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
>
> The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
> faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
> into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
> million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
> digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
> 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
>
> The above paragraph is of course completely insane.


The converter is 22-bit, the sensor is 12-bit. This is good, for obvious
reasons. However, it leads to completely true but potentially-misleading
copy as above.

Note also that the camera can write DNG files. Yay open standards.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Mitchum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul Rubin wrote:
> > frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> >> More likely just a Steve's Digicams typo.

> >
> > Definitely not a Steve's Digicams typo. Maybe a typo that occurred
> > further upstream in the marketroid process, after which the press
> > release writer went berserk with it:
> >
> > Newly developed A/D converter for truthful image data conversion
> >
> > The K10D incorporates a high-performance A/D converter, which
> > faithfully converts the analog data collected by the CCD image sensor
> > into digital data. With the highest resolving power (22 bits, or 4.2
> > million gradations) among all existing digital cameras, it offers a
> > digital-conversion capacity 1,024 times greater than conventional
> > 12-bit, 4,096-gradation A/D converters.
> >
> > The above paragraph is of course completely insane.

>
> Oh - I didn't see all that - I agree. However at $899 for the general
> feature set for this camera, the marketroids seem to have done a very
> good job in other ways. I can't see any of these new dslr prices
> holding - even at the low 400d level - after the early adopters (aka
> real beta tester) market has been saturated and stock is sitting on the
> shelf.


Then it's just time to rebrand it as Samsung.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006

"Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:1hlklss.hyi591wmx057N%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
>> focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
>> of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
>> Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
>> magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
>> LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
>> $US899 for body.
>> Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
>> 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d


Mmmm, I am thinking that the the only reason the A100 is in this list is
that it is 10MP, does not look up to par really.

>>
>> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
>> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
>> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf

>
> I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
> K11d with a pentaprism.
>
> The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.


I am pretty sure that it will be a Penta Prism, expect to see a 16-50mm F2.8
as well.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul Mitchum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
> news:1hlklss.hyi591wmx057N%(E-Mail Removed)0m...
> > frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> 10mp / 3fps sensor. New in-camera anti-shake system (allows for lens
> >> focal length, adjusts for vert. horiz. rotational shake - manual input
> >> of lens focal length possible when using old lenses.) Dust removal.
> >> Weather sealed. ~100,000 actuation rated shutter. 96% FOV / 0.95
> >> magnification viewfinder (penta-mirror).
> >> LiIon batteries - optional vertical grip. List price is supposed to be
> >> $US899 for body.
> >> Plenty of choice now in 10mp <$1000 dslrs.
> >> 400d / d80 / a100 / K10d

>
> Mmmm, I am thinking that the the only reason the A100 is in this list is
> that it is 10MP, does not look up to par really.
>
> >>
> >> Steve's digicams press release was pulled from site - but can be d/l
> >> here (until he gets a cease and desist notice):
> >> http://ericcloninger.com/albums/DPRS...10DRelease.pdf

> >
> > I'm jazzed about everything but the penta-mirror. Maybe there'll be a
> > K11d with a pentaprism.
> >
> > The 70mm pancake lens looks nice, too.

>
> I am pretty sure that it will be a Penta Prism,


The linked article says it's a penta-mirror.

> expect to see a 16-50mm F2.8 as well.


Neeto.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why didnt dpreview test the pentax k10d in bright mode? tootal2@sbcglobal.net Digital Photography 6 03-06-2007 06:47 PM
photos from my pentax k10d tootal2@sbcglobal.net Digital Photography 2 02-23-2007 05:56 PM
??who has best price on Pentax K10d in the uk?? simon Digital Photography 1 02-15-2007 11:15 PM
should i buy a pentax k10d? tootal2@sbcglobal.net Digital Photography 27 02-13-2007 09:32 PM
Pentax K10D mogh baba Digital Photography 3 09-28-2006 08:31 PM



Advertisments