Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Adobe Lightroom, where does it fit in?

Adobe Lightroom, where does it fit in?

Bill Crocker

I was just watching a demo on Adobe's beta of Lightroom. Where is this
going to fit in the Adobe product line-up? Will it be a replacement for
Photoshop, or something that is used in addition to Photoshop? I'm
confused.

Thanks,
Bill Crocker

C Wright

On 9/12/06 4:14 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Bill Crocker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was just watching a demo on Adobe's beta of Lightroom. Where is this
> going to fit in the Adobe product line-up? Will it be a replacement for
> Photoshop, or something that is used in addition to Photoshop? I'm
> confused.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Crocker

I see it as a stand alone program for photographers who want to shoot raw
but don't want or need the additional heavy duty editing capabilities of
Photoshop. Or, for photographers who continue to need Photoshop's
capabilities, Lightroom works as a sort of super viewer/sorter/organizer.
It is not a replacement for Photoshop; if anything, it would replace Bridge
which is now a stand alone application but closely integrated with PS.
Chuck

bmoag

I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
it is a free beta.
I think Adobe genuinely wants feed back about this product which is
essentially a variant of Bridge.

Barry Pearson

Bill Crocker wrote:
> I was just watching a demo on Adobe's beta of Lightroom. Where is this
> going to fit in the Adobe product line-up? Will it be a replacement for
> Photoshop, or something that is used in addition to Photoshop? I'm
> confused.

There are 2 separate questions there.

1. Where will it fit when release 1 is launched?

See the other responses.

2. Where will it fit in the long term?

It is one of a new breed of photograph handling product, using a
"metadata editing" rather than a "pixel rendering" method. Other
examples include Apple's Aperture, Nikon's NX, and some others such as
LightCraft's LightZone.

As new metadata editing features are added, the need for pixel
rendering photo-editors such as Photoshop will reduce. There will be a
steadily-increasing overlap between what we can do with metadata
editing and what we can do with pixel rendering, although the user
interfaces will be very different. And this new breed will offer other
advantages of their own.

I use Photoshop CS2 daily. I suspect I may never upgrade, but instead
keep it available for the decreasng number of cases that metadata
editing can't handle. I must emphasise that this is SUSPICION!

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Bill Funk

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 01:21:52 GMT, "bmoag" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
>it is a free beta.

Most betas are free (Microsoft being the largest deviant).
Betas are freely distributed in order to get a large beta-testing
base, so they can find the bugs still left after alpha (which uis
usually in-house).
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Thomas T. Veldhouse

bmoag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is why
> it is a free beta.

I don't think that they are too confused. They are going to offer Lightroom
free to all current registered Pixmatic Premier Raw Shooter users; so clearly
the end product will be stand alone. I suspect it will potentially be bundled
with Elements in their more advanced offerings.

> I think Adobe genuinely wants feed back about this product which is
> essentially a variant of Bridge.

Bridge doesn't DO anything. Lightroom does, so there is a glaringly
significant difference. You can process photos with Lightroom and you can not
[per se] with Bridge.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Hebee Jeebes

Bridge isn't going any place. I don't think Lightroom will ever be offered
with Elements, Lightroom will cost at least $199 probably more so including
that with Elements takes Elements out the game for many people. I do think
it will be offered with Adobe Photoshop which to me is a more proper
marriage since Lightroom doesn't do pixel level editing and probably at best
never really will. I am sure they will add something like a clone or healing
brush tool but that is about it.

ACR isn't going any place either. Adobe has made that clear. PS CS3 will
include a new version of Bridge and a new version of ACR.

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SIfOg.1679$(E-Mail Removed)...
> bmoag <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think Adobe is confused also about where Lightroom fits in, which is
>> why
>> it is a free beta.

> I don't think that they are too confused. They are going to offer
> Lightroom
> free to all current registered Pixmatic Premier Raw Shooter users; so
> clearly
> the end product will be stand alone. I suspect it will potentially be
> bundled
> with Elements in their more advanced offerings.
>
>> I think Adobe genuinely wants feed back about this product which is
>> essentially a variant of Bridge.

> Bridge doesn't DO anything. Lightroom does, so there is a glaringly
> significant difference. You can process photos with Lightroom and you can
> not
> [per se] with Bridge.
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1

Barry Pearson

Hebee Jeebes wrote:
[snip]
> I do think
> it will be offered with Adobe Photoshop which to me is a more proper
> marriage since Lightroom doesn't do pixel level editing and probably at best
> never really will. I am sure they will add something like a clone or healing
> brush tool but that is about it.

[snip]

It will eventually be FAR more than that!

- Crop and rotate and all the features of ACR are obvious candidates.

- Nikon's NX uses metadata editing. It has "control points" that
perform a sort of selection to which editing can be applied.

- LightCraft's LightZone can do metadata editing on tone zones.

- Nikon's Capture has long been able to do red-eye reduction and
sensor-dust removal.

- Obviously metadata editing will eventually be able to everything that
actions in Photoshop can do. After all, actions are a form of metadata
editing!

Metadata editing is only limited by our imagination, and the need for
processing power.

--
Barry Pearson
http://www.barry.pearson.name/photography/

Ol' Bab

Barry Pearson wrote:
> It is one of a new breed of photograph handling product, using a
> "metadata editing" rather than a "pixel rendering" method. Other
> examples include Apple's Aperture, Nikon's NX, and some others such as
> LightCraft's LightZone.
>
> As new metadata editing features are added, the need for pixel
> rendering photo-editors such as Photoshop will reduce.

How the HECK can editing a picture's metadata do pixel editing?

I googled on metadata editing and found nothing in the first
three pages of returns that looked applicable to manipulating
an image. Plenty of stuff that implied dealing with a "super
keyword" block of data.

No, I'm not grumpy, just mystified...

Ol' Bab

Hebee Jeebes

What he means is your image isn't altered, not the original. All changes you
make in Lightroom are done and stored as metadata. Not in the file yet, but
when LR ships it will be stored in the file. LR and other programs read this
meta data and apply the changes to it. LR DOES NOT DO pixel level editing.
It does image level editing.

news:qr2Pg.33252$(E-Mail Removed)...