Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Organising photos from Nikon and Canon?

Reply
Thread Tools

Organising photos from Nikon and Canon?

 
 
PeteD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
Hi,

I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have a
Canon P&S.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser program
to pull in shots from the D80.

On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory but the
orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may be a
loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.

Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too or
something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon file.

I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....

thanks
Pete

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Gartshore
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have a
> Canon P&S.
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser program
> to pull in shots from the D80.
>
> On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory but the
> orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may be a
> loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.


Assuming that ZoomBrowser won't do the job for you. Irfanview will do a
lossless JPG rotation.. PSP9 does it too. I'm sure there are others.

Not sure about RAW files though..

T.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Joan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
What software came with the D80?

--
Joan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: Hi,
:
: I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have a
: Canon P&S.
:
: Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser
program
: to pull in shots from the D80.
:
: On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory but
the
: orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may
be a
: loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
:
: Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too or
: something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon file.
:
: I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
:
: thanks
: Pete
:

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:05:50 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Joan"
<(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote:

>What software came with the D80?


The same POS PictureProject that comes with every Nikon these days.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
At least it recognises the orientation flag. Might be it's only
saving grace.

--
Joan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:05:50 +1000, in rec.photo.digital "Joan"
: <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote:
:
: >What software came with the D80?
:
: The same POS PictureProject that comes with every Nikon these days.
: --
: Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
: http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
This will be confusing to some with you using that sig.

Oh well, thats the way it goes.

Cheers.

Pete D

"PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi,
>
> I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have a
> Canon P&S.
>
> Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser program
> to pull in shots from the D80.
>
> On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory but the
> orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may be a
> loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
>
> Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too or
> something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon file.
>
> I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
>
> thanks
> Pete
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
I'm not confused at all.

--
Joan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:450746d9$0$7336$(E-Mail Removed)...
: This will be confusing to some with you using that sig.
:
: Oh well, thats the way it goes.
:
: Cheers.
:
: Pete D
:
: "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: > Hi,
: >
: > I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have
a
: > Canon P&S.
: >
: > Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser
program
: > to pull in shots from the D80.
: >
: > On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory
but the
: > orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may
be a
: > loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
: >
: > Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too
or
: > something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon
file.
: >
: > I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
: >
: > thanks
: > Pete
: >
:
:

 
Reply With Quote
 
Pete D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
LOL.

I was, wondered what I was posting about.

"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote in message
news:45074758$0$7291$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not confused at all.
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>
> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:450746d9$0$7336$(E-Mail Removed)...
> : This will be confusing to some with you using that sig.
> :
> : Oh well, thats the way it goes.
> :
> : Cheers.
> :
> : Pete D
> :
> : "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> : > Hi,
> : >
> : > I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have
> a
> : > Canon P&S.
> : >
> : > Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser
> program
> : > to pull in shots from the D80.
> : >
> : > On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory
> but the
> : > orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may
> be a
> : > loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
> : >
> : > Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too
> or
> : > something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon
> file.
> : >
> : > I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
> : >
> : > thanks
> : > Pete
> : >
> :
> :
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
PeteD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Hey,

Sorry about having a nearly identical name to a regular here!!

pete

Pete D wrote:
> LOL.
>
> I was, wondered what I was posting about.
>
> "Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote in message
> news:45074758$0$7291$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm not confused at all.
> >
> > --
> > Joan
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
> >
> > "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:450746d9$0$7336$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > : This will be confusing to some with you using that sig.
> > :
> > : Oh well, thats the way it goes.
> > :
> > : Cheers.
> > :
> > : Pete D
> > :
> > : "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > : news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > : > Hi,
> > : >
> > : > I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have
> > a
> > : > Canon P&S.
> > : >
> > : > Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser
> > program
> > : > to pull in shots from the D80.
> > : >
> > : > On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory
> > but the
> > : > orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may
> > be a
> > : > loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
> > : >
> > : > Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too
> > or
> > : > something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon
> > file.
> > : >
> > : > I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
> > : >
> > : > thanks
> > : > Pete
> > : >
> > :
> > :
> >


 
Reply With Quote
 
PeteD
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-13-2006
Picture Project 1.7

I used a friends version of that previously and found it fairly
unpleasant. I was trying to use the one program to pull in photos from
both cameras.

As recommended above it seems Irfanview would do the trick so maybe I
need to use that as an organiser for both.

Cheers
Pete

Joan wrote:
> What software came with the D80?
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>
> "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> : Hi,
> :
> : I've just bought myself a Nikon D80 (first DSLR). We already have a
> : Canon P&S.
> :
> : Does anyone know if it's possible to use the Canon ZoomBrowser
> program
> : to pull in shots from the D80.
> :
> : On my first download I just used XP and copied into a directory but
> the
> : orientation does not sort itself out. I'm concerned that there may
> be a
> : loss in quality by doing a rotate in XP.
> :
> : Is there some sort of thumbnail info file that I need to copy too or
> : something? If so, will the Canon software recognise the Nikon file.
> :
> : I'm just trying to avoid using two different photo organisers....
> :
> : thanks
> : Pete
> :


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finally organising photos in Picassa john d hamilton Computer Support 8 09-23-2008 08:48 PM
Finally organising photos in Picassa john d hamilton Digital Photography 8 09-23-2008 08:48 PM
Organising Photos on Hard Drive Robin Digital Photography 27 04-27-2007 08:23 PM
best practice in organising folders WindAndWaves HTML 18 01-17-2005 10:34 PM
organising newsgroups folders Walter Mitty Firefox 2 05-18-2004 10:48 AM



Advertisments