Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Capturing a Killer...Worth a Look... (Hey Bret!)

Reply
Thread Tools

Capturing a Killer...Worth a Look... (Hey Bret!)

 
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
I'm sure this will never happen again this way...

Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a tree-top.
Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why, since he wasn't
eating...a crow...
-Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...

Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.

Have a look:

-Oh...and these are NOT crops.
These are all full-frame, except for ONE shot.
100% on the eye is a crop, but the rest are full-frame shots (OK, there's
one other where I included a partial crop, and noted it):

First, a tame one:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725426/original

And another tame one:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716142/original

Shadow of things to come...
http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727617/original

It gets VERY NASTY from here...
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66718270/original

This one IS a crop, but not by much (the full-frame version is included in
the gallery):
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725099/original

Killer Profile:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716132/original

Checking on me...What a stare!!
http://www.pbase.com/image/66723625/original

Eerie...Yes, those are the eyes looking up at his own killer through skin:
Nature can be rough:
http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727411/original

Waste not...
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716140/original

Looks that Kill...What a GLARE!:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716136/original

Vice-Grips:
http://upload.pbase.com/image/66726793/original

The Aftermath:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716144/original

Now for the PRE-QUEL:
Setting the table #1:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724740/original

Setting the Table #2:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724741/original

Setting the Table #3:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724742/large

Killer with a heart--He hung the left-overs up for the flies:
http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66726960/original

100% Crop of Eye:
http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727810/original

I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious, and moved
only after he gave indication that he was continuing with his business. I
doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk in action ever again. I
sat in the tree with him no less than 40 minutes. -Quite an experience.

Just goes to show you that you've got to be ready for opportunity when it
knocks.

By the way... These are quicky-jpegs. I haven't had a chance to convert
RAW, but that will be next. These were a bit dark, so RAWs will adjust
nicely. I was amazed at the out-of-camera sharpness of the 5D. While flash
use wasn't ideal, it was either flash or nothing at all. Additionally,
there were spots of sunlight shining through holes in the tree canopy--a
typical shot-ruining factor. I lowered ISO to 50 and decided to rely on
flash more in order to reduce the effect of the bright sunlight spots. This
is always a challenge when shooting in the shade under trees in bright
sunlight.

-MarkČ
-- Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
MarkČ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
MarkČ wrote:
> I'm sure this will never happen again this way...
>
> Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a
> tree-top. Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why,
> since he wasn't eating...a crow...
> -Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...
>
> Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the
> tree he sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended
> up an amazing 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.
>
> Have a look:
>
> -Oh...and these are NOT crops.
> These are all full-frame, except for ONE shot.
> 100% on the eye is a crop, but the rest are full-frame shots (OK,
> there's one other where I included a partial crop, and noted it):
>
> First, a tame one:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725426/original
>
> And another tame one:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716142/original
>
> Shadow of things to come...
> http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727617/original
>
> It gets VERY NASTY from here...
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66718270/original
>
> This one IS a crop, but not by much (the full-frame version is
> included in the gallery):
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725099/original
>
> Killer Profile:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716132/original
>
> Checking on me...What a stare!!
> http://www.pbase.com/image/66723625/original
>
> Eerie...Yes, those are the eyes looking up at his own killer through
> skin: Nature can be rough:
> http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727411/original
>
> Waste not...
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716140/original
>
> Looks that Kill...What a GLARE!:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716136/original
>
> Vice-Grips:
> http://upload.pbase.com/image/66726793/original
>
> The Aftermath:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716144/original
>
> Now for the PRE-QUEL:
> Setting the table #1:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724740/original
>
> Setting the Table #2:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724741/original
>
> Setting the Table #3:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724742/large
>
> Killer with a heart--He hung the left-overs up for the flies:
> http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66726960/original
>
> 100% Crop of Eye:
> http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727810/original
>
> I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious,
> and moved only after he gave indication that he was continuing with
> his business. I doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk
> in action ever again. I sat in the tree with him no less than 40
> minutes. -Quite an experience.
> Just goes to show you that you've got to be ready for opportunity
> when it knocks.
>
> By the way... These are quicky-jpegs. I haven't had a chance to
> convert RAW, but that will be next. These were a bit dark, so RAWs
> will adjust nicely. I was amazed at the out-of-camera sharpness of
> the 5D. While flash use wasn't ideal, it was either flash or nothing
> at all. Additionally, there were spots of sunlight shining through
> holes in the tree canopy--a typical shot-ruining factor. I lowered
> ISO to 50 and decided to rely on flash more in order to reduce the
> effect of the bright sunlight spots. This is always a challenge when
> shooting in the shade under trees in bright sunlight.
>
> -MarkČ
> -- Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson


--
Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
www.pbase.com/markuson


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Paul Rubin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
> Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
> sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
> 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.


Amazing shots, well worth a shirt and some cramps.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Joan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
Damn good shots Mark!

--
Joan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:h2sNg.12321$c07.6997@fed1read04...
: I'm sure this will never happen again this way...
:
: Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a
tree-top.
: Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why, since he
wasn't
: eating...a crow...
: -Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...
:
: Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the
tree he
: sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an
amazing
: 5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.
:
: Have a look:
:
: -Oh...and these are NOT crops.
: These are all full-frame, except for ONE shot.
: 100% on the eye is a crop, but the rest are full-frame shots (OK,
there's
: one other where I included a partial crop, and noted it):
:
: First, a tame one:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725426/original
:
: And another tame one:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716142/original
:
: Shadow of things to come...
: http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727617/original
:
: It gets VERY NASTY from here...
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66718270/original
:
: This one IS a crop, but not by much (the full-frame version is
included in
: the gallery):
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66725099/original
:
: Killer Profile:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716132/original
:
: Checking on me...What a stare!!
: http://www.pbase.com/image/66723625/original
:
: Eerie...Yes, those are the eyes looking up at his own killer through
skin:
: Nature can be rough:
: http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727411/original
:
: Waste not...
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716140/original
:
: Looks that Kill...What a GLARE!:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716136/original
:
: Vice-Grips:
: http://upload.pbase.com/image/66726793/original
:
: The Aftermath:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66716144/original
:
: Now for the PRE-QUEL:
: Setting the table #1:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724740/original
:
: Setting the Table #2:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724741/original
:
: Setting the Table #3:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66724742/large
:
: Killer with a heart--He hung the left-overs up for the flies:
: http://www.pbase.com/markuson/image/66726960/original
:
: 100% Crop of Eye:
: http://upload.pbase.com/image/66727810/original
:
: I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious,
and moved
: only after he gave indication that he was continuing with his
business. I
: doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk in action ever
again. I
: sat in the tree with him no less than 40 minutes. -Quite an
experience.
:
: Just goes to show you that you've got to be ready for opportunity
when it
: knocks.
:
: By the way... These are quicky-jpegs. I haven't had a chance to
convert
: RAW, but that will be next. These were a bit dark, so RAWs will
adjust
: nicely. I was amazed at the out-of-camera sharpness of the 5D.
While flash
: use wasn't ideal, it was either flash or nothing at all.
Additionally,
: there were spots of sunlight shining through holes in the tree
canopy--a
: typical shot-ruining factor. I lowered ISO to 50 and decided to
rely on
: flash more in order to reduce the effect of the bright sunlight
spots. This
: is always a challenge when shooting in the shade under trees in
bright
: sunlight.
:
: -MarkČ
: -- Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
: www.pbase.com/markuson
:
:

 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
MarkČ wrote:

> I have no idea why he let me get this close. I was very cautious,
> and moved only after he gave indication that he was continuing with
> his business. I doubt I'll be able to get this close to a wild hawk
> in action ever again. I sat in the tree with him no less than 40
> minutes. -Quite an experience.


Nice job! As for why he let you get this close, he must be a regular
newsgroup reader and decided to show a bit of sympathy on you since he
sensed a bit of self esteem issues and didn't see you swinging a 600mm lens
on the old 5D. That, or he decided that he's so tame and domesticated that
he would no longer think of himself as "wildlife" and loves the flash.
Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how to "zoom
with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway, good job, I'm proud
of you.








Rita

 
Reply With Quote
 
John McWilliams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
Joan wrote:
> Damn good shots Mark!
>

Joan, if you would be so kind as to trim your replies, the rest of us
wouldn't have to scroll three pages to get to the next post.

--
john mcwilliams
 
Reply With Quote
 
Annika1980
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>
> Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how to "zoom
> with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway, good job, I'm proud
> of you.


I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle would
someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW" to
"Monkey Boy."
"Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.

Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and crank
down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show off the
5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have produced
some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree with a 5D,
a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's dedication!
Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.

 
Reply With Quote
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
On 12 Sep 2006 09:34:04 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

> Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and crank
> down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show off the
> 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have produced
> some interesting effects.


What are you saying? That could have cost him is life! Hawks
invariably attack at the sound of the mirror flap. It was only the
bright flash that blinded Hawkeye, keeping him at bay, thus leaving
MarkČ unPierced.


> Did you really shimmy up that tree with a 5D,
> a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's dedication!
> Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.


Nah, nothing like that at all, my good serendip. He repaired to
the tree to be able to munch some GORP, buffalo jerky and a few
Snickers bars with some privacy. Would you climb a tree and leave
all that gear down below for the taking? The return of Hawkeye was
merely a fortuitous, fortunate accident of fate that didn't turn
fatal, thanks to the flash. In the interest of safety, maybe Canon
will wise up and add an internal flash to the 5D's successor.

 
Reply With Quote
 
David Littlewood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
In article <h2sNg.12321$c07.6997@fed1read04>, MarkČ
<mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
>I'm sure this will never happen again this way...
>
>Went to the beach to discover a flock of crows dive-bombing a tree-top.
>Why? They were after this guy... Though not sure why, since he wasn't
>eating...a crow...
>-Ran back to the condo in my bathing suit to grab my camera...
>
>Ended up ruining my shirt and getting leg-cramps while climbing the tree he
>sat in, but wouldn't have missed this for anything... Ended up an amazing
>5-6 feet away through the whole thing...at eye-level.
>

[snip]

Really impressive shots Mark - a credit to the photographer, the camera
and the lens. Were you using the 70-200 f/2.8 IS?

Interesting that the exif information says "no flash used" - you would
think it would be clever enough to detect an external flash. I do wonder
if Bret's comment is a good one - would have been worth trying 400 ISO
and no flash, but of course we don't know what the light was like. I
know I have been amazed at the high-ISO performance of the 5D.

David
--
David Littlewood
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-12-2006
Annika1980 wrote:

>> Plus, you never did take the time to thank him for teaching you how
>> to "zoom with your feet" even though you had a zoom on. Anyway,
>> good job, I'm proud of you.

>
> I think Mark has taken the term "zoom with your feet" to new heights!
> I knew all those years being raised in that South American jungle
> would someday pay off. Perhaps I shall change Mark's name from "PW"
> to "Monkey Boy."
> "Monkey Boy Morgan' .... kinda has a nice ring to it.


Yep! Mark did really well getting close on this one. I would say that he's
probably about 25' or less away.

> Nice pics, BTW. Next time you climb a tree, crank up the ISO and
> crank down on the flash. This might have been a good time to show
> off the 5D's high-ISO performance. The natural lighting might have
> produced some interesting effects. Did you really shimmy up that tree
> with a 5D, a 70-200 f/2.8L IS, and an external flash? Man, that's
> dedication! Might get you in the Canon Hall of Fame.


That was my first thought after I seeing the harsh shadowing from having the
flash mounted on camera. He should have taken a few ISO 800 shots without
any flash as this most likely would have been amazing with natural light.
Of course, he probably could have had some nice fill flash using that
homemade rubbing alcohol bottle diffuser. Anyway, great shots Mark.







Rita

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mozilla Thunderbird Email NOT capturing clicked email links... AJPDLA Firefox 4 04-12-2006 07:05 PM
MDS 9216, capturing FC frames Konrad Madej Cisco 1 11-24-2004 01:33 AM
REGEX: capturing on optional groups which fail Charles Shannon Hendrix Perl 0 06-13-2004 11:22 PM
Capturing Request Stream PJ ASP .Net 4 07-17-2003 05:44 AM
Capturing ASPX output from another page Rick Strahl [MVP] ASP .Net 1 07-09-2003 07:34 PM



Advertisments