Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon SD700 IS firmware update to include MPEG4 vid?

Canon SD700 IS firmware update to include MPEG4 vid?

gaikokujinkyofusho@gmail.com

This is more of a hypothetical question. I just got the SD700 and love
almost everything about it but was throughly irked by the discovery
that it uses Motion JPEG instead of a more space friendly MPEG4 codec
(my fault, i should have done my homework) so 15min of 640x480 15fps
video takes up 1gb... sigh.

Is it possible that canon might offer a firmware upgrade that would use
mpeg4 for its video? or maybe there are some projects out there that
are working on this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

-Gaiko

Paul Rubin

> This is more of a hypothetical question. I just got the SD700 and love
> almost everything about it but was throughly irked by the discovery
> that it uses Motion JPEG instead of a more space friendly MPEG4 codec
> (my fault, i should have done my homework) so 15min of 640x480 15fps
> video takes up 1gb... sigh.

I have an A530 that makes AVI files, and I'd expect the SD700 to use
the same format. The AVI file is motion jpeg?

> Is it possible that canon might offer a firmware upgrade that would use
> mpeg4 for its video? or maybe there are some projects out there that
> are working on this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

I kind of doubt it, if they decided against mp4 from the beginning.
They also may not have the CPU power to run an encoder.

Flash cards are pretty cheap these days, the AVI format that the
camera uses is pretty efficient even if it's not mpeg4, and there's
reason to think SD700 supports 4GB cards. The A530 (and maybe the
SD700) has a 1GB limitation on the size of individual video clips.
That, and the lack of an external microphone socket, seem like much
worse annoyances than the file format. Basically the video features
of these cameras are intended for short, casual, video snapshots. If
you want to shoot lengthy or higher quality video, get a camcorder.

Androo

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This is more of a hypothetical question. I just got the SD700 and love
> almost everything about it but was throughly irked by the discovery
> that it uses Motion JPEG instead of a more space friendly MPEG4 codec
> (my fault, i should have done my homework) so 15min of 640x480 15fps
> video takes up 1gb... sigh.
>
> Is it possible that canon might offer a firmware upgrade that would use
> mpeg4 for its video? or maybe there are some projects out there that
> are working on this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

> Cheers
> -Gaiko

I think the answer has to be no I'm afraid.

One thing that might happen though is an upgrade so the camera accepts SDHC
cards (I presume it doesn't already). Already available up to 8Gb, these
cards are expensive now, but won't be for long.

Androo

Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This is more of a hypothetical question. I just got the SD700 and love
> almost everything about it but was throughly irked by the discovery
> that it uses Motion JPEG instead of a more space friendly MPEG4 codec
> (my fault, i should have done my homework) so 15min of 640x480 15fps
> video takes up 1gb... sigh.
>
> Is it possible that canon might offer a firmware upgrade that would use
> mpeg4 for its video? or maybe there are some projects out there that
> are working on this? any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Cheers
>
> -Gaiko

NO.
just plain simple. Two reasons: first, Canon didn't do it in S1, not in S2,
not in S3, so i see no reason that it would do it in above camera.

Second, MPEG4 is not a firmware issue, but rather a hardware one. Camera
should have on-board MPEG4 chip which encodes video in this format. For
software encoding a veeery powerfull CPU would be needed which is just not
possible right now, plus camera would need quite a lot of internal memory to
squeeze encoding program in it, which i doubt it has.
You can comfort yourself by the fact that mjpeg format is better in quality
and possibility of editing while loosing very little on quality.

Protoncek \(ex.SleeperMan\)

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>> This is more of a hypothetical question. I just got the SD700 and love
>> almost everything about it but was throughly irked by the discovery
>> that it uses Motion JPEG instead of a more space friendly MPEG4 codec
>> (my fault, i should have done my homework) so 15min of 640x480 15fps
>> video takes up 1gb... sigh.

> I have an A530 that makes AVI files, and I'd expect the SD700 to use
> the same format. The AVI file is motion jpeg?
>
>> Is it possible that canon might offer a firmware upgrade that would use
>> mpeg4 for its video? or maybe there are some projects out there that
>> are working on this? any help would be greatly appreciated!

> I kind of doubt it, if they decided against mp4 from the beginning.
> They also may not have the CPU power to run an encoder.
>
> Flash cards are pretty cheap these days, the AVI format that the
> camera uses is pretty efficient even if it's not mpeg4, and there's
> reason to think SD700 supports 4GB cards. The A530 (and maybe the
> SD700) has a 1GB limitation on the size of individual video clips.
> That, and the lack of an external microphone socket, seem like much
> worse annoyances than the file format. Basically the video features
> of these cameras are intended for short, casual, video snapshots. If
> you want to shoot lengthy or higher quality video, get a camcorder.

i just wanted to say same thing...these cameras are NOT camcorders. They are
point'n'shoot ones. For movies, people, buy video camera.

jkdood jkdood is offline
Junior Member

HI, it is a couple of years later.

Has anyone heard that Canon finally has MPEG4 capability (via hardware) in their latests DSCs still cameras or hybrids or any ones coming out next year 2009?

THANKS (I posted this and PM or email too, hope this is not annoying.)
Jay
jkorobow (who is AT) comcast (dot) net!