Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D80 vs Canon XTI

Nikon D80 vs Canon XTI

Volker Hetzer

Bill Funk wrote:

> Will the dust shaker work? My observations of dust say no, it won't.
> Dust doesn't fall neatly down, to stick to a vertical sticky strip.
> What's to keep it from sticking to the sensor, again, which is bigger
> than the sticky strip?

The vibrations. The doesn can't rest until either the remover is switched
off or the dust gets stuck.

Volker

Bill Funk

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:10:49 +0200, Volker Hetzer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> Will the dust shaker work? My observations of dust say no, it won't.
>> Dust doesn't fall neatly down, to stick to a vertical sticky strip.
>> What's to keep it from sticking to the sensor, again, which is bigger
>> than the sticky strip?

>The vibrations. The doesn can't rest until either the remover is switched
>off or the dust gets stuck.
>
>Volker

But what will make the dust stick to the sticky strip? Or, perhaps, I
should say, why will the dust be attracted to the sticky strip?
The vibrations will stop, the dust will be in the air. What will make
it go somewhere besides wherever it wants to go?
As I said, I've observed dust; it doesn't falll neatly down,
especially when the air it's in is disturbed. The shaking of the
sensor occurs when the camera is turned on, meaning it's probably in
motion, and the air will be disturbed by the camera's motion. It will
be disturbed more by the actuation of the shutter and mirror movement.
Why would loose dust go to the sticky strip?
It seems to me this is a gimmick, more or less forced on Canon by the
"popularity" of the same gimmick in other cameras.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Volker Hetzer

Bill Funk wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:10:49 +0200, Volker Hetzer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Bill Funk wrote:
>>
>>> Will the dust shaker work? My observations of dust say no, it won't.
>>> Dust doesn't fall neatly down, to stick to a vertical sticky strip.
>>> What's to keep it from sticking to the sensor, again, which is bigger
>>> than the sticky strip?

>> The vibrations. The doesn can't rest until either the remover is switched
>> off or the dust gets stuck.
>>
>> Volker

> But what will make the dust stick to the sticky strip? Or, perhaps, I
> should say, why will the dust be attracted to the sticky strip?
> The vibrations will stop, the dust will be in the air. What will make
> it go somewhere besides wherever it wants to go?

I guess it will remove a little bit (the bits that are at the bottom of
the sensor) each time it gets switched on. Bigger grains will obviously
drop down more readily. As for small stuff, it's statistics. By making
one surface vibrate you decerase the surface available for the dust.
Therefore the percentage of surface covered by the sticky strip increases.
Therefore the likelyhood of the dust hitting the sticky bit increases
too.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

Bill Funk

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:57:17 +0200, Volker Hetzer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill Funk wrote:
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 11:10:49 +0200, Volker Hetzer
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> The vibrations. The doesn can't rest until either the remover is switched
>>> off or the dust gets stuck.
>>>
>>> Volker

>> But what will make the dust stick to the sticky strip? Or, perhaps, I
>> should say, why will the dust be attracted to the sticky strip?
>> The vibrations will stop, the dust will be in the air. What will make
>> it go somewhere besides wherever it wants to go?

>I guess it will remove a little bit (the bits that are at the bottom of
>the sensor) each time it gets switched on. Bigger grains will obviously
>drop down more readily. As for small stuff, it's statistics. By making
>one surface vibrate you decerase the surface available for the dust.
>Therefore the percentage of surface covered by the sticky strip increases.
>Therefore the likelyhood of the dust hitting the sticky bit increases
>too.

Eventually.
But then, new dust enters too.
And the sticky strip is smaller than the sensor, so the dust is more
likely to stick on the sensor than on the strip.
Overall, the dust removal system may mean a little less dust on the
sensor, but since dust isn't that big a problem in the first place for
most users...
I still think it's not needed, and not very usefull.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"