Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > SD Card Backup Gadget?

SD Card Backup Gadget?

Triple Jumper

Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
any experience of this product?

Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?

(Hope this isn't a FAQ)

TJ

snapper@mailinator.com

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 13:33:44 +0100, Triple Jumper <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
> water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
> backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
>
> After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
> any experience of this product?
>
> Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?

Check the word Vosonic on Google.

David J Taylor

Triple Jumper wrote:
> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
> sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
> gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
>
> After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone
> have any experience of this product?
>
> Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
>
> (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
>
> TJ

I would recommend one of the Epson range - P-2000, P-4000, P-4500

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

David

Gerrit 't Hart

"Triple Jumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
> water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
> backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
>
> After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
> any experience of this product?
>
> Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
>
> (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
>
> TJ

On 1 September jack mcadam started a thread called "portable digital
storage" discussing just this subject.

Gerrit

news.houston.sbcglobal.news

I have the Wolverine 40 GB FlashPac. (www.wolverinedata.com) I have used it
on a vacation trip to Alaska's interior and for several weddings to back up
memory cards. What was particularly nice was that I was able to backup
other peoples memory cards (SD, CF, SM, MS, MicroDrive etc.) so they could
continue shooting. It has a built in rechargeable battery and a basic
information screen LCD screen.

The only thing I could complain about is the time stamp for each flash card
save. It creates folders based on the card ex. CF001, CF002 or SD001,
SD002. The time stamp on each folder is the same 2/1/2002 12:00 AM.,
probably due to drive firmware. The folders and files copied from the
memory cards retain their creation date and times. Other than that it is
light and fits in my camera bag with my extra lenses

Jim

"Triple Jumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
> water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
> backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
>
> After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
> any experience of this product?
>
> Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
>
> (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
>
> TJ

Roger Wright

One of these devices from B&H should meet your needs:

http://tinyurl.com/nnds4

Roger Wright

"Triple Jumper" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of sea
> water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight gadget for
> backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
>
> After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone have
> any experience of this product?
>
> Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
>
> (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
>
> TJ

Stewy

In article <lLKLg.25168$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Roger Wright" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> One of these devices from B&H should meet your needs:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/nnds4

Wow. Neat machine. Have you got one? Does it work well?

Stewy

In article <JRzLg.14517$(E-Mail Removed) >,
"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:

> Triple Jumper wrote:
> > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
> > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
> > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.
> >
> > After some searching, I found the SmartDisk PhotoBank. Does anyone
> > have any experience of this product?
> >
> > Are there any alternatives that you would recommend / avoid?
> >
> > (Hope this isn't a FAQ)
> >
> > TJ

> I would recommend one of the Epson range - P-2000, P-4000, P-4500
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/epsonp2000/

Yeah but $500 is a lot more than the Wolverine at $169. Do you really
need all those features as it'll be sitting in a drawer most of the time
(unless you're a pro, of course)

Paul Rubin

Triple Jumper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
> sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
> gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
recover it?

John Turco

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Triple Jumper <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Having just lost about 2Gb of pictures and videos due to ingress of
> > sea water, I was wondering if there exists a simple, lightweight
> > gadget for backing up SD cards while away from any PC.

> Sea water killed your SD card? Did you make any serious efforts to
> recover it?

Hello, Paul:

What did you expect him to do...perform pin-to-pin resuscitatation?

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>