Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > flash card recovery

Reply
Thread Tools

flash card recovery

 
 
Roy G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.

It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.

I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.

Roy G



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:41:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:

> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>
> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>
> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.


Is this error shown by the camera or by a computer? If the
latter, and the pictures can be viewed in the camera, see if the
camera will be able to transfer the pictures to the computer using a
USB cable.

If the xD card was in a card reader when the errors were seen,
check the card to see if it's one of the newer type "H" xD cards. I
recently bought (and returned) a Sandisk card adapter. It was
compatible with all of my xD cards save one, a new type "H" 1 GB xD
card. The computer had no problem seeing the card, but was totally
confused by its file system. I had no problems reading any of the
cards using the computer's built-in card reader, although it is
quite a bit slower.

If errors are seen when the card is in the camera and also when it
is in a reader, then there's probably nothing you can do other than
try to use a disk recovery utility program. Ask your friend if the
card was ever formatted, and if it was, whether it was last
formatted in a card reader. That can cause problems if the wrong
format is used. When using "My Computer" recently to format the
flash RAM in an mp3 player which has two USB modes, I discovered
that in one mode there's no control over what type of format is used
and no information about it is given. In the other USB mode, I was
given not only a choice between FAT and FAT32, but also could use
automatic or manually selected allocation block sizes.

After you've done all that you can, the xD card should be
formatted in the camera and then tested by taking some more pictures
to see if the problem has disappeared or if it is still there. Also
(and especially if the card is 512MB or larger) see if the camera is
compatible with cards of that capacity. You may not be able to rely
on the camera's manual, as the one for my Fuji S5100 only shows that
it will work with card sizes up to 512MB, but it actually works with
1 GB xD cards. Other Fuji cameras sold when I bought the S5100
aren't compatible with 1GB cards.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roy G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 10:41:24 GMT, Roy G wrote:
>
>
> Is this error shown by the camera or by a computer? If the
> latter, and the pictures can be viewed in the camera, see if the
> camera will be able to transfer the pictures to the computer using a
> USB cable.
>
> If the xD card was in a card reader when the errors were seen,
> check the card to see if it's one of the newer type "H" xD cards. I
> recently bought (and returned) a Sandisk card adapter. It was
> compatible with all of my xD cards save one, a new type "H" 1 GB xD
> card. The computer had no problem seeing the card, but was totally
> confused by its file system. I had no problems reading any of the
> cards using the computer's built-in card reader, although it is
> quite a bit slower.
>
> If errors are seen when the card is in the camera and also when it
> is in a reader, then there's probably nothing you can do other than
> try to use a disk recovery utility program. Ask your friend if the
> card was ever formatted, and if it was, whether it was last
> formatted in a card reader. That can cause problems if the wrong
> format is used. When using "My Computer" recently to format the
> flash RAM in an mp3 player which has two USB modes, I discovered
> that in one mode there's no control over what type of format is used
> and no information about it is given. In the other USB mode, I was
> given not only a choice between FAT and FAT32, but also could use
> automatic or manually selected allocation block sizes.
>
> After you've done all that you can, the xD card should be
> formatted in the camera and then tested by taking some more pictures
> to see if the problem has disappeared or if it is still there. Also
> (and especially if the card is 512MB or larger) see if the camera is
> compatible with cards of that capacity. You may not be able to rely
> on the camera's manual, as the one for my Fuji S5100 only shows that
> it will work with card sizes up to 512MB, but it actually works with
> 1 GB xD cards. Other Fuji cameras sold when I bought the S5100
> aren't compatible with 1GB cards.



Thanks Asaar.

Even if I can not get anything off that card, at least I now know that my
wife's S5100 can use 1Gb Cards.

I don't think I will get the Camera, just the card. It belongs to the son
of a friend who was on Holiday in Canada, and I do not think they would want
the card to be formatted.

I will even give that HP Slooooow Built In Reader another chance.

Roy G


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave Cohen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
Roy G wrote:
> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>
> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From #15
> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>
> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.
>
> Roy G
>
>
>

Recovery manager from:
http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
is free and works well assuming images were stored on card.
Dave Cohen
 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy G
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2006
"Dave Cohen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1kZJg.19$%_1.12@trndny07...
> Roy G wrote:
>> A friend has asked if I can try to recover pictures from an XD card.
>>
>> It seems that only 14 out of the 100 or so on the card are usable. From
>> #15
>> onwards the icons all have a red "?" and won't open.
>>
>> I have no experience of this sort of error, and wonder if anyone here can
>> offer some advice, in advance of the card being delivered to me.
>>
>> Roy G
>>
>>
>>

> Recovery manager from:
> http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
> is free and works well assuming images were stored on card.
> Dave Cohen


Thanks Dave.

Roy G


 
Reply With Quote
 
garygeorge33@gmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2013
Hi
I was in the same problem that you are going through. I have lost all my data from my flash card due to accidental formatting. But thanks to god, one of my friends recommended me memory card recovery software named Unformat Drive, which is capable to perform formatted flash card recovery. You can download this tool from internet by going through below provided link in order to recover data from f lash card.
Website: http://www.unformatdrive.com/memory-card.html
Download: http://www.unformatdrive.com/download/unformatdrive.exe
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2013
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi
> I was in the same problem that you are going through.


no you weren't you lying spammer, not to mention your english sucks.

> I have lost all my data


good. maybe you'll lose your usenet access for spamming.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Me
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-06-2013
On 6/02/2013 5:06 p.m., http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi
> I was in the same problem that you are going through. I have lost all my data from my flash card due to accidental formatting. But thanks to god, one of my friends recommended me memory card recovery software named Unformat Drive, which is capable to perform formatted flash card recovery. You can download this tool from internet by going through below provided link in order to recover data from f lash card.
> Website: http://www.unformatdrive.com/memory-card.html
> Download: http://www.unformatdrive.com/download/unformatdrive.exe
>

There's better software available for free, not $128.00
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
 
Reply With Quote
 
Wolfgang Weisselberg
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2013
Me <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 6/02/2013 5:06 p.m., (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hi…

[spammer claims to have found panacea, magical silver bullet and world peace]
>> Website: [snip]
>> Download: [snip]
>>

> There's better software available for free, not $128.00

[snip URL]

Don't answer spammers. If you answer them, at least neuter
their spammy URL payload.

-Wolfgang
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software ) Author Tarun Tyagi Cisco 0 12-29-2004 05:03 PM
Data Recovery Book and Online Business Promotion, Products Sales Promotion, Search Engine Optimization and Online Data Recovery Training services Author Tarun Tyagi Cisco 0 12-15-2004 01:52 AM
Digital Image Recovery and Memory Stick Recovery; Recovery of Lost Photos Digital Image Recovery Computer Support 1 09-10-2004 04:43 PM
Digital Image Recovery and Memory Stick Recovery; Recovery of Lost Photos Digital Image Recovery Digital Photography 0 09-10-2004 04:21 PM
Q: how exactly is a 40x flash card "faster" than a 4x flash card? Paul Bennett Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 09:32 PM



Advertisments