Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommendations for photo printer with large-ish screen?

Recommendations for photo printer with large-ish screen?

Pig Ignorant

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
specifically what I was looking for in the archives.

I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
would still be OK).

The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
of the screen would be important.

Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.

Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.

Thanks for your help.

PI

Roy G

"Pig Ignorant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
> specifically what I was looking for in the archives.
>
> I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
> digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
> print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
> computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
> would still be OK).
>
> The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
> printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
> slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
> than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
> of the screen would be important.
>
> Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
> them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.
>
> Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
> advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> PI

Hi.

There is a problem with these compact printers.

They all print at 6 x 4.

Digicam images are almost all 6 x 4.5.

So there will be cropping, and very often the user has no control over which
half inch is going to be cropped.

Roy G

Pig Ignorant

Roy G wrote:

> There is a problem with these compact printers.
>
> They all print at 6 x 4.
>
> Digicam images are almost all 6 x 4.5.
>
> So there will be cropping, and very often the user has no control over which
> half inch is going to be cropped.

Thanks for the reply Roy.

With my wife's photographic skills, that's unlikely to be a problem

But thanks for pointing it out. It does seem daft that when digital
cameras have a 4:3 ratio, the printers should be 3:2.

Can anyone recommend some easy to use PC software as an alternative,
that would make it easy to print a digital photo without having to
resize, crop etc. (unless you wanted to)? Maybe that would be a better
solution (although she seems keen on having one of these printers and
it's her birthday coming up - the printer would seem to be a better
present!)

Bill Crocker

"Pig Ignorant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Apologies if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find
> specifically what I was looking for in the archives.
>
> I want to get my wife a dedicated photo printer that she can plug her
> digital camera into (she has a Canon Ixus 5.5 mpixel), and ideally
> print directly from the camera, rather than having to go via the
> computer (although if the printer would only work with a computer that
> would still be OK).
>
> The main problem is that my wife has poor eyesight and some of these
> printers have a small screen, and I'm looking for one that has a
> slightly larger screen. Although her camera is small it has a larger
> than average screen (at least it was when she bought it). So the size
> of the screen would be important.
>
> Can anyone recommend printers I could look at? I don't know much about
> them as I've only ever printed photos on my HP inkjet printer.
>
> Any advice as to photo printers I could consider, with any
> advantages/drawbacks etc., would be gratefully received.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> PI

Check out Canon's PIXMA iP6600D, sound like it's exactly what you're looking
for! It's not too expensive either.

Bill Crocker