Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > best digital under $400?

best digital under $400?

SJ

I thought the consensus of the group was that the Panasonic had less noise
than the Canon, with those same models? I could be wrong.

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44f621dd$0$96198$(E-Mail Removed)...
Rex B wrote:
> I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought
> a camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
> Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
> Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
> magazine.
>
> Min specs:
> 5 megapixels
> 10X optical
> macro capability
>
> Wide angle would be useful
> panoramic would be useful.
>
> Image stabilization
>
> Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.
>
> I'd welcome all suggestions.
>
> Thanks

I guess the Panasonic DMC-FZ7 or the Canon S3is are about your best
choices. I guess I'd go with the S3is as it's lower noise than the
Panasonic. If Panasonic could solve their noise issues they'd have an
awesome product line, based on their features.

m Ransley

Panasonic are well known to have the most noise but do very well at iso
100 where as the competion gives you 1-200 more iso.

bluezfolk

Rex B wrote:
> Jack wrote:
> > Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
> > phone! Very economically viable!
> >
> > Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
> > angle? Just interested.

> Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
> of rooms, for example.
> Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
> novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
> small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
> is like
>

> > "Rex B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I need a new camera for my workplace. It's been years since I've bought a
> >> camera, so I'm not up to speed, yet I need this in the next few days.
> >> Estimated budget was $300, but I can stretch it.
> >> Output needs to be good enough for (occasional) publication in a glossy
> >> magazine.
> >>
> >> Min specs:
> >> 5 megapixels
> >> 10X optical
> >> macro capability
> >>
> >> Wide angle would be useful
> >> panoramic would be useful.
> >>
> >> Image stabilization
> >>
> >> Nothing small, needs to be big enough to handle easily.
> >>
> >> I'd welcome all suggestions.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> --
> >> - -
> >> Rex Burkheimer
> >> WM Automotive
> >> Fort Worth TX

This may sound a bit silly, but for panaromic why not just take a
photo from a distance and cut of the top and bottom? I had a pentax
35mm that did exactly that for its panaromic shots.

Eric

Rex B

bluezfolk wrote:
> Rex B wrote:
>> Jack wrote:
>>> Maybe a camera phone for your brochure. Let's face it, a camera and a
>>> phone! Very economically viable!
>>>
>>> Tell me, how do 'you' define the difference between panoramic and wide
>>> angle? Just interested.

>> Wide angle is equivalent to a 24-28mm lense. For taking interior views
>> of rooms, for example.
>> Panoramic is like a long thin 180-degree landscape. This is more a
>> novelty than a need. I sometimes like to picture a retail store in a
>> small town. Panoramic view gives a better feel for what the neighborhood
>> is like
>>
>>> "Rex B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> This may sound a bit silly, but for panaromic why not just take a
> photo from a distance and cut of the top and bottom? I had a pentax
> 35mm that did exactly that for its panaromic shots.

Well sure, but sometimes you can't back off far enough to do that.

Rex B

I took your suggestions, charted out the features/price by model.
Looks like the best one for my purposes is the Canon S3IS.
Thanks much for all the input.

- -
Rex Burkheimer
Fort Worth TX