Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless and XP sp2

Reply
Thread Tools

wireless and XP sp2

 
 
billyw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2004
have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)

it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will see
wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.

however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.

remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
tried with and without firewall and there was no difference



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Rod Farmer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2004
I have similar problems with SP2 and network/Internet connections (you can
see my recent post to this group).
How did you return your system to pre-SP2 - I have a pre-SP2 restore point
and SP2 also shows up in <add/remove programs>. Is it best to remove it
first and then use SR, or just use SR.

Thanks for any advice.

Rod
"billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
> the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
>
> it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
> previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will see
> wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
>
> however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
> it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
>
> remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
> tried with and without firewall and there was no difference
>
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Malke
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2004
billyw wrote:

> have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
> the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
>
> it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
> previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will
> see wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
>
> however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
> it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
>
> remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
> tried with and without firewall and there was no difference


See if there are updated drivers for that wifi card from DLink.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
 
Reply With Quote
 
billyw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2004
hi

i just uninstalled it

"Rod Farmer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have similar problems with SP2 and network/Internet connections (you can
> see my recent post to this group).
> How did you return your system to pre-SP2 - I have a pre-SP2 restore point
> and SP2 also shows up in <add/remove programs>. Is it best to remove it
> first and then use SR, or just use SR.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> Rod
> "billyw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
>> the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
>>
>> it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
>> previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will see
>> wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
>>
>> however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
>> it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
>>
>> remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
>> tried with and without firewall and there was no difference
>>
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
billyw
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-29-2004
it is the latest drivers.
also removed drivers and re applied after sp2 install.. still no go


"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> billyw wrote:
>
>> have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
>> the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
>>
>> it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
>> previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will
>> see wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
>>
>> however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
>> it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
>>
>> remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
>> tried with and without firewall and there was no difference

>
> See if there are updated drivers for that wifi card from DLink.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?SmltIFo=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-30-2004
I am having similar issues with my wireless.
I have a Linksys routerWRT54
Broadband wirless internal cards on 2 laptops
1 Linksys external for a laptop
2 Dlink G cards for desktops
all have 128 wep to connect to access point.
nothing but troubles with SP2.
apparently they did not test this properly before releasing.
I have uninstalled the SP2 and it works fine now.
I have left it onmy laptop with broadband card.
and disabled the fire wall Securty center in the control panel.
I have firewall protection on the router and thru symantec.
It seems to be working for the moment but we will see.
Trying to send this to the support team but can't get to send them the info.
hope Microsoft reads these.

"billyw" wrote:

> have upgraded 4 PC's without issue to SP2.
> the 5th i was leaving to last as it is an old PC (p3 800)
>
> it has a Dlink dwl-510 PCi wifi card in it.
> previous to xp sp2 it was connecting no problem. add sp2 and it will see
> wifi access point but not connect. it's uising wep 64 bit.
>
> however it can see the the AP but and will try and connect but no go.
> it can connect to another AP across the way without any probs.
>
> remove sp2 and it connects again no problem.
> tried with and without firewall and there was no difference
>
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
CZ
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-01-2004
>> Same problems here. I have an IBM T42 (XP Pro with SP2) with an internal
wireless adapter that I first thought was at fault-disabled it- and used a
Linksys wireless card and was able to connect only to then lose the
connection-the IP address was on and off. I have a Dell notebook with a
wireless card (XP HOME ED with SP2) that works fine with the Linksys
wireless
card. I went through IBM support and my T42 was functioning without a
problem
everything pinged and he suggested that I contact the Router company
(Linkcys
WRT54GS). I sent an e-mail message but have no response yet.

Bill:

Just a note that WiFi (802.11b) works fine here with XP SP2 using Orinoco
cards and AP:
Home built desktop: XP Home and Pro
Dell Latitude C400 portable: XP Pro


 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9l?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-03-2004
I also have same problem, current setup = Linksys (bef11s4 ver4) wireless
router, Centrino laptop with internal Intel 2100 mini pci adapter. Laptop can
see router with full signal but cannot connect. Can see and connect to
neighbors netgear router. My linksys router can see and connect to netgear
bridge. Have updated to SP2, latest drivers for both router and internal
Intel adapter in laptop, turned on off firewall, moved both computer and
router to different locations, changed channels, ect. Contacted linksys and
after 2 phone calls and 2 hours each, still not working. called HP tech
support and after waiting 4 days for an answer I get the famous "reimage". Is
this what tech support (lack there of)has come to so with nothing left to
lose but my personal info. I reinstalled Windows XP and drivers. No luck
still not working. Installed SP1, no luck. Installed SP2, no luck. For less
than 50 bucks I can get another router, will most likely be Netgear since I
know that I can connect to it. Thanks all for listening to me vent. hope This
helps someone with there problem.

"CZ" wrote:

> >> Same problems here. I have an IBM T42 (XP Pro with SP2) with an internal

> wireless adapter that I first thought was at fault-disabled it- and used a
> Linksys wireless card and was able to connect only to then lose the
> connection-the IP address was on and off. I have a Dell notebook with a
> wireless card (XP HOME ED with SP2) that works fine with the Linksys
> wireless
> card. I went through IBM support and my T42 was functioning without a
> problem
> everything pinged and he suggested that I contact the Router company
> (Linkcys
> WRT54GS). I sent an e-mail message but have no response yet.
>
> Bill:
>
> Just a note that WiFi (802.11b) works fine here with XP SP2 using Orinoco
> cards and AP:
> Home built desktop: XP Home and Pro
> Dell Latitude C400 portable: XP Pro
>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adminpak SP2 , Windows Server x64 SP2 =?Utf-8?B?QmrDuHJu?= Windows 64bit 2 09-03-2007 12:54 PM
MDAC 2.8 SP2 for W2K3 R2 x64 SP2 =?Utf-8?B?SmFja04=?= Windows 64bit 2 06-07-2007 12:00 AM
Novell Client 4.92 SP2 and Windows XP SP2 Yogi Computer Support 1 07-22-2005 01:33 AM
WIN XP SP2 ERROR: Can not read from or write to the data base. SP2 installation did not complete Father Jack Hackett Computer Support 5 01-26-2005 06:08 PM
Re: IE 6.0 with SP2 and Windows XP SP2 and Adobe Acrobat & Reader 6.0 George ASP .Net 5 08-24-2004 12:11 PM



Advertisments