Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

SMS

Kinon O'Cann wrote:
> "SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44f454e6$0$96199$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Digital Photography Now wrote:
>>> See:
>>> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
>>>
>>> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems
>>> to have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
>>> Digital Photography Now
>>>
>>> http://dpnow.com

>> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

> Wrong:
>
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/
>
> This is the "teaser" site from Sigma.

Argh, I guess they don't plan to sell any of these in China or Taiwan.

g n p

>> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

Ok, I give up.......
Why not??????????

SMS

g n p wrote:
>>> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

> Ok, I give up.......
> Why not??????????

4=Death
14=Certain Death

"The Chinese do not like to have a house or a car with the number 4 or a
combination like 14 “must die”, 24 “easily dying”, 44 “dying and dead”
and 74 “surely dead”"

http://www.feng-shui-architects.com/...numerology.htm

Also see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_(number)"

Unfortunately, the way I learned about this is working for a U.S.
company that had a product with 14 in the model number. And the
precursor to the name transliterated into Cantonese was "banana." So
everyone in our Hong Kong office ran around calling the product (a
microcontroller system-on-a-chip), the "Dead Banana."

Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

Bill Hilton

SMS wrote:

> > Ok, I give up.......
> > Why not??????????

> 4=Death
> 14=Certain Death
>
> "The Chinese do not like to have a house or a car with the number 4 or a
> combination like 14 "must die", 24 "easily dying", 44 "dying and dead"
> and 74 "surely dead""
>
> http://www.feng-shui-architects.com/...numerology.htm
>
> Also see "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14_(number)"
>
> Unfortunately, the way I learned about this is working for a U.S.
> company that had a product with 14 in the model number. And the
> precursor to the name transliterated into Cantonese was "banana." So
> everyone in our Hong Kong office ran around calling the product (a
> microcontroller system-on-a-chip), the "Dead Banana."
>
> Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
> product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
> but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

Ah, I guess that explains why Nikon didn't come out with an F4 film
camera too ...

SMS

Bill Hilton wrote:

> Ah, I guess that explains why Nikon didn't come out with an F4 film
> camera too ...

In the 1980's companies were a lot less sensitive to this sort of thing.

Mike Civil

In article <44f4afcd$0$96158$(E-Mail Removed)>,
SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
>product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
>but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

Explains why Panasonic went from FZ30 to FZ50 )

Mike

Helen

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44f4afcd$0$96158$(E-Mail Removed)...

> 14=Certain Death

Well, let's face it, it IS a Sigma.
All jokes die don't they?

Daniel Silevitch

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 21:43:01 +0000 (UTC), Mike Civil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <44f4afcd$0$96158$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> SMS <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>Anyway, a savvy international company would be very careful about
>>product branding. Don't you wonder why there was a Canon G1, G2, & G3,
>>but they skipped the G4, and went on with G5 and G6?

> Explains why Panasonic went from FZ30 to FZ50 )

They did have an FZ4, though (a 4 MP version of the FZ5).

-dms

Bart van der Wolf

"Eric Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
SNIP
> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

Apparently, from what I've read, 2640x1760 pixels = 4.65 Mp.
Times 3 colors, makes13.9 RGB samples, with R/G/B being co-located.
Lens mount seems to be a Sigma mount.

Formal introduction seems to be planned on Sept. 26th at the
Photokina 2006 (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/).

--
Bart

Bill Funk

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 01:02:29 +0200, "Bart van der Wolf"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Eric Miller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>SNIP
>> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

>Apparently, from what I've read, 2640x1760 pixels = 4.65 Mp.
>Times 3 colors, makes13.9 RGB samples, with R/G/B being co-located.
>Lens mount seems to be a Sigma mount.
>
>Formal introduction seems to be planned on Sept. 26th at the
>Photokina 2006 (http://www.sigma-sd14.com/).

Watching this, I gather the camera will be RAW only, and will lack
features that are included in cameras in the SD14's class.
But, I could be wrong; it's vaporware.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

Tethering the Sigma SD14 Fred the Red Shirt Digital Photography 8 02-10-2009 01:35 AM
SD14 Alfred Molon Digital Photography 8 06-04-2007 10:41 AM
Sigma SD14 samples Alfred Molon Digital Photography 40 02-20-2007 01:15 PM
Sigma's SD14 Postponed Kinon O'Cann Digital Photography 50 12-11-2006 02:24 PM
Sigma 24-60 DG compare with sigma 24-70 DG rolento Digital Photography 1 11-13-2004 02:40 AM

Advertisments