Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR?

Digital Photography Now

See:
http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577

I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

Ian

Digital Photography Now

http://dpnow.com

Randall Ainsworth

In article <2QUIg.19415$(E-Mail Removed)>, Digital
Photography Now <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
> have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

If it carries the Sigma name, you know it's gotta be crap.

mark

Hi Randall.
Bye Randall

Randall Ainsworth schreef:

> In article <2QUIg.19415$(E-Mail Removed)>, Digital
> Photography Now <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
> > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.

> If it carries the Sigma name, you know it's gotta be crap.

Eric Miller

Digital Photography Now wrote:
> See:
> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
>
> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
> have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
>
> http://dpnow.com

I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

SMS

Digital Photography Now wrote:
> See:
> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
>
> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
> have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
>
> Ian
>
> Digital Photography Now
>
> http://dpnow.com

No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

lubecki@hotmail.com

Eric Miller wrote:
> Digital Photography Now wrote:
> > See:
> > http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
> >
> > I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
> > have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
> >
> > Ian
> >
> > Digital Photography Now
> >
> > http://dpnow.com
> >

> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
MP. I hope - if this is really the new SD14 - that Sigma got it right
this time. The Foveon chip is a pretty cool technology.

-Gniewko

SMS

> Eric Miller wrote:
>> Digital Photography Now wrote:
>>> See:
>>> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
>>>
>>> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems to
>>> have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
>>>
>>> Ian
>>>
>>> Digital Photography Now
>>>
>>> http://dpnow.com
>>>

>> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

> Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
> MP.

That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
and sometimes moiré effects.

Has Foveon solved the silicon color separation contamination issues that
plagued the SD9 and SD10 with color accuracy problems? Have they solved
the noise issues? Did they add an anti-aliasing filter?

Did they come up with a better Li-Ion battery solution than two RCRV3
batteries in series?

Did they fix the viewfinder?

You've got to believe that Sigma and Foveon would not attempt another
digital SLR unless they really have solved all the issues that caused
the SD9 and SD10 to flop.

The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.

lubecki@hotmail.com

SMS wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Eric Miller wrote:

> >> I wonder how many megapixels. I Sigma up to 5 now?

> > Maybe, but a Foveon 5 megapixel chip would be sharper than a Bayer 10
> > MP.

> That's the theory anyway. In practice, the 3Mp SD9/10 was much worse
> than 6 Mp Bayer based SLRs. The imagined sharpness of the SD9/10 came at
> the expense of inaccurate rendering of diagonal edges and thin lines,
> and sometimes moiré effects.

Yup, exactly. That's why I said that I hope they got it right this
time.

> (snip)
>
> The SD14 could find a niche market at the low end, competing against the
> D50, Rebel XT, and Sony A100, if they price it around $600.

Well, that depends on the detailed specs of the camera, no? There is
nothing inherently superior about Bayer chips that make them more
suited to high-end cameras than Foveon chips. In fact, quite the
opposite may be true. Just because Sigma screwed it up with the SD9 and
SD10 and gave Foveon chips a bad rep, that doesn't mean that they can't
get it right this time.

Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

-Gniewko

SMS

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Or maybe I'm just too optimistic...

I would tend to think that you're too optimistic. If Foveon had solved
the problems with their sensors, then they would have been able to find
a first or second tier SLR maker to use them in a product, rather than
having to go with Sigma.

Even if the SD14 is a great body, you still have the issue of the
quality of the Sigma lenses. Unless Sigma moved to a Canon or Nikon
mount. The SD14 may find a niche at the very low end, if it's priced
right, but the people buying the low end cameras would probably be even
more wary about buying such a camera.

Kinon O'Cann

"SMS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44f454e6$0$96199$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Digital Photography Now wrote:
>> See:
>> http://dpnow.com/bb/news.pl?rev=577
>>
>> I think it looks rather nice. Hope it has JPEG in-camera now - it seems
>> to have a white balance mode selector, which points to in-camera JPEG.
>>
>> Ian
>>
>> Digital Photography Now
>>
>> http://dpnow.com

> No Asian company would use "14" in their model number.

Wrong:

http://www.sigma-sd14.com/

This is the "teaser" site from Sigma.

Tethering the Sigma SD14 Fred the Red Shirt Digital Photography 8 02-10-2009 01:35 AM
SD14 Alfred Molon Digital Photography 8 06-04-2007 10:41 AM
Sigma SD14 samples Alfred Molon Digital Photography 40 02-20-2007 01:15 PM
Sigma's SD14 Postponed Kinon O'Cann Digital Photography 50 12-11-2006 02:24 PM
Sigma 24-60 DG compare with sigma 24-70 DG rolento Digital Photography 1 11-13-2004 02:40 AM

Advertisments