Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Question: Nikon 5700 Warranty Repair

Question: Nikon 5700 Warranty Repair

Bud

Hi,

Wondering if anyone here has experience with sending their Nikon 5700
camera back to the factory for repairs as referenced here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...s_coolpix.html.
I'd like to know about how long it took you to receive the camera back from
them please. No big deal, I'm about to leave on a trip & would just like
to know if it's worth it to consider delaying it for a day or so.

Thanks,
Bud
Niceville, Florida

Jim

"Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Wondering if anyone here has experience with sending their Nikon 5700
> camera back to the factory for repairs as referenced here:
> http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...s_coolpix.html.
> I'd like to know about how long it took you to receive the camera back
> from
> them please. No big deal, I'm about to leave on a trip & would just like
> to know if it's worth it to consider delaying it for a day or so.
>

> Thanks,
> Bud
> Niceville, Florida

If you get it back in less than a month, you are lucky.
First of all, they evaluate what is wrong with the camera, and this step
will take up to 2 weeks.
Second, they tell you what is wrong, how much it will cost, and ask for your
approval. If the camera is still under warranty, the cost will be 0, but
they still will not proceed without your approval.
Third, they perform the repairs and return it to you. This step can take up
to two weeks. There is a minimum charge for all non warranty work which
covers the evaluation step.

So, it the trip is only a couple of days away, I would not expect to be able
to use the camera on this trip.

I based this letter on my experiences with getting my D70 repaired. The
first instance was a warranty charge, and the second was a non warranty
repair. The minimum charge for repairing a D70 is $200.
Jim

Bud

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:40:24 GMT, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Bud" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wondering if anyone here has experience with sending their Nikon 5700
>> camera back to the factory for repairs as referenced here:
>> http://www.nikonusa.com/email_images...s_coolpix.html.
>> I'd like to know about how long it took you to receive the camera back
>> from
>> them please. No big deal, I'm about to leave on a trip & would just like
>> to know if it's worth it to consider delaying it for a day or so.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Bud
>> Niceville, Florida

>If you get it back in less than a month, you are lucky.
>First of all, they evaluate what is wrong with the camera, and this step
>will take up to 2 weeks.
>Second, they tell you what is wrong, how much it will cost, and ask for your
>approval. If the camera is still under warranty, the cost will be 0, but
>they still will not proceed without your approval.
>Third, they perform the repairs and return it to you. This step can take up
>to two weeks. There is a minimum charge for all non warranty work which
>covers the evaluation step.
>
>So, it the trip is only a couple of days away, I would not expect to be able
>to use the camera on this trip.
>
>I based this letter on my experiences with getting my D70 repaired. The
>first instance was a warranty charge, and the second was a non warranty
>repair. The minimum charge for repairing a D70 is $200.
>Jim

Then I'll get a cheap camera & take it instead - thanks for the reply.

Bud