Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon 400D - DSLR

Canon 400D - DSLR

sharkbait999

With the 5D out already a year, will this be the latest 'full frame' 10.1 MP
digital camera released from Canon? New f./1.2 50mm too!

http://www.engadget.com/

rg

frederick

sharkbait999 wrote:
> With the 5D out already a year, will this be the latest 'full frame' 10.1 MP
> digital camera released from Canon?

The image on the website apparently showed it with an EF-S lens, and the
text APS-C 1.6 and normal crop size sensor dimensions were readable
before Canon China got their knuckles rapped. But it looks legitimate.
I wonder how long the US$900-1000 price will hold for these new plastic
10mp dslrs when all major players actually have product in the market...
Perhaps not as long as when Canon and Nikon were in a more dominant
position with 300/350d and D70.

Richard Kettlewell

frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> sharkbait999 wrote:

>> With the 5D out already a year, will this be the latest 'full frame'
>> 10.1 MP digital camera released from Canon?

> The image on the website apparently showed it with an EF-S lens, and
> the text APS-C 1.6 and normal crop size sensor dimensions were
> readable before Canon China got their knuckles rapped.

That'd be the image on this page, I guess:
http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9685/canon_eos_400d/

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

W (winhag)

This is very interesting. From a marketing perspective, how could Canon
offer 10.1 MP with dust cleaning on the 400D while the 30D has 8 MP
with no dust removal system?
Surely, if this is accurate, the 30D will be changing to include the
new sensor system in the near future (Photokina?).

Richard Kettlewell wrote:
> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > sharkbait999 wrote:

> >> With the 5D out already a year, will this be the latest 'full frame'
> >> 10.1 MP digital camera released from Canon?

> > The image on the website apparently showed it with an EF-S lens, and
> > the text APS-C 1.6 and normal crop size sensor dimensions were
> > readable before Canon China got their knuckles rapped.

> That'd be the image on this page, I guess:
> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9685/canon_eos_400d/
>
> --
> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

wilt

frederick wrote:
> sharkbait999 wrote:
> > With the 5D out already a year, will this be the latest 'full frame' 10.1 MP
> > digital camera released from Canon?

> The image on the website apparently showed it with an EF-S lens, and the
> text APS-C 1.6 and normal crop size sensor dimensions were readable
> before Canon China got their knuckles rapped. But it looks legitimate.
> I wonder how long the US$900-1000 price will hold for these new plastic
> 10mp dslrs when all major players actually have product in the market...
> Perhaps not as long as when Canon and Nikon were in a more dominant
> position with 300/350d and D70.

Infer no prices for any market based upon the price in any other
market! VAT and other upcharges can be applicable in one market, so
that their prices are not merely the ratio of monetary exchange rates
between currencies!

Eric Miller

W (winhag) wrote:
> This is very interesting. From a marketing perspective, how could Canon
> offer 10.1 MP with dust cleaning on the 400D while the 30D has 8 MP
> with no dust removal system?
> Surely, if this is accurate, the 30D will be changing to include the
> new sensor system in the near future (Photokina?).

Well, this is just my personal perspective, but this makes my upgrade
decision very cloudy without knowing any additional details.

I have a 10D and like to do bird, portrait and other general
photography. I had been thinking about buying a 5D for travel and
portraiture and keeping the 10D for birding. I wanted bigger portrait
prints and more megapixels for mosaics and the full frame for wider
field of view when I travel. The 5D was looking good.

The difference in pixel pitch between the 10D and 20D/30D just wasn't
enough to justify an upgrade for bird photography.

Now comes a 10 megapixel camera that will apparently cost 1/3 the price
of the 5D and have significantly higher pixel pitch than the 20D/30D.
For $2000 less than the 5D, I can continue to live with the APS-C crop
factor. And, at that much lower price, it looks like, for the time
being, the new sensor in the 400D will be the best for birding among the
cameras I've mentioned, as long as it isn't too noisy.

What I am really hoping is that we will see the 5D move up to the
current 1DsMkII sensor (when, and if, its 22mp replacement comes out)
and either the 5D price goes down.

W (winhag)

> What I am really hoping is that we will see the 5D move up to the
> current 1DsMkII sensor (when, and if, its 22mp replacement comes out)

I agree, I think that will happen (5D->16.7 MP). That would give it a
strong competitive edge in pixel count(and of course full frame vs.
cropped) against the D200 from Nikon. Since chip cost is primarily
driven by chip size, on the surface it seems hard to believe that the
current 1Ds MkII sensor costs all that much more than the current 5D
sensor. So when the 1Ds -> 22MP, it sure seems like the logical step is
for the 5D to inherit the old 1DsII sensor.

Eric Miller wrote:
> W (winhag) wrote:
> > This is very interesting. From a marketing perspective, how could Canon
> > offer 10.1 MP with dust cleaning on the 400D while the 30D has 8 MP
> > with no dust removal system?
> > Surely, if this is accurate, the 30D will be changing to include the
> > new sensor system in the near future (Photokina?).

> Well, this is just my personal perspective, but this makes my upgrade
> decision very cloudy without knowing any additional details.
>
> I have a 10D and like to do bird, portrait and other general
> photography. I had been thinking about buying a 5D for travel and
> portraiture and keeping the 10D for birding. I wanted bigger portrait
> prints and more megapixels for mosaics and the full frame for wider
> field of view when I travel. The 5D was looking good.
>
> The difference in pixel pitch between the 10D and 20D/30D just wasn't
> enough to justify an upgrade for bird photography.
>
> Now comes a 10 megapixel camera that will apparently cost 1/3 the price
> of the 5D and have significantly higher pixel pitch than the 20D/30D.
> For $2000 less than the 5D, I can continue to live with the APS-C crop
> factor. And, at that much lower price, it looks like, for the time
> being, the new sensor in the 400D will be the best for birding among the
> cameras I've mentioned, as long as it isn't too noisy.
>
> What I am really hoping is that we will see the 5D move up to the
> current 1DsMkII sensor (when, and if, its 22mp replacement comes out)
> and either the 5D price goes down.

Wayne J. Cosshall

Agreed that such a strategy seems likely. Canon Australia has just
announced the 400D but with no pricing. Press release is here:
<http://www.dimagemaker.com/article.php?articleID=653> with a link to
the full specs.

I'd say this announcement is the precursor of a number at Photokina.
Cheers,

Wayne

--
Wayne J. Cosshall

SimonLW

"W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> This is very interesting. From a marketing perspective, how could Canon
> offer 10.1 MP with dust cleaning on the 400D while the 30D has 8 MP
> with no dust removal system?
> Surely, if this is accurate, the 30D will be changing to include the
> new sensor system in the near future (Photokina?).

> Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>> frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> > The image on the website apparently showed it with an EF-S lens, and
>> > the text APS-C 1.6 and normal crop size sensor dimensions were
>> > readable before Canon China got their knuckles rapped.

>> That'd be the image on this page, I guess:
>> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9685/canon_eos_400d/
>>
>> --
>> http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

Very simple marketing. They have two chief competitors with "better"
cameras.
-S

Annika1980

Richard Kettlewell wrote:

> That'd be the image on this page, I guess:
> http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/9685/canon_eos_400d/

I was about to cry "FAKE!" when I found it on the Canon website.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14256

or http://tinyurl.com/ojojt

Why would they undercut their own 30D so quickly? Build quality aside,
who is going to pay double for a 8.2MP camera when they can get a
10.1MP for half the price?