Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compact flash. International shipping

Compact flash. International shipping

bigfeet

Compact flash cards seem to be much cheaper in the USA than here in
Australia. The amount of memory I need to buy (for an extended trip) I
simply cannot afford at Australian prices.

Can anyone recommend a good cheap US (or anywhere else) based company
that will ship to Australia or the UK (have relatives there who could
forward it on). Im not bothered about getting big brand cards, in fact
generic ones would be an advantage due to the drop in price.

Thanks.

Ace

bigfeet wrote:
> Compact flash cards seem to be much cheaper in the USA than here in
> Australia.

> Can anyone recommend a good cheap US (or anywhere else) based company
> that will ship to Australia or the UK >
> Thanks.

bhphotovideo.com, compusa.com, officedepot.com among others. Also
newegg.com.

Bob AZ

Michael Meissner

"Ace" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> bigfeet wrote:
> > Compact flash cards seem to be much cheaper in the USA than here in
> > Australia.

> > Can anyone recommend a good cheap US (or anywhere else) based company
> > that will ship to Australia or the UK >
> > Thanks.

> bhphotovideo.com, compusa.com, officedepot.com among others. Also
> newegg.com.

Actually newegg.com does not ship outside of the USA. Be sure to figure in
taxes and VAT. Also, I've heard tales that UPS in particular gouges people for
extra fees when crossing a border, but if you find a shipper that uses the US
mail, it is cheaper (but you don't get tracking information).

If you are going on a prolonged trip, have you considered a portable storage
device (disk based unit that will copy cards to the disk without a computer),
or a portable DVD burner. Of course you do have to worry about the disk
getting corrupt (and in fact I'm replacing the disk on the laptop my daughter
will use in college that went bad).

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

ColinD

bigfeet wrote:
> Compact flash cards seem to be much cheaper in the USA than here in
> Australia. The amount of memory I need to buy (for an extended trip) I
> simply cannot afford at Australian prices.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good cheap US (or anywhere else) based company
> that will ship to Australia or the UK (have relatives there who could
> forward it on). Im not bothered about getting big brand cards, in fact
> generic ones would be an advantage due to the drop in price.
>
> Thanks.

Don't go generic, stay with Lexar, Sandisk, or other reputable make.
Cards are cheap compared with the loss of your trip images.

Have you thought about buying from New Zealand? We are generally
cheaper than Oz, f'rinstance, a 1 GB Sandisk Ultra II card, $NZ55, with
NZ gst, Oz equivalent would be about $AUD41.

Have a look at http://www.flashcards.co.nz

Colin D.

Peter J E Brunning

I've been happy with the service from 7dayshop in (tax-free) Guernsey - they
certainly ship to UK. http://www.7dayshop.com/
Prices seem good and I've bought memory cards and printer cartridges among
other things. I once had a problem but they replaced the card without
question.

"bigfeet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Can anyone recommend a good cheap US (or anywhere else) based company
> that will ship to Australia or the UK (have relatives there who could
> forward it on). Im not bothered about getting big brand cards, in fact
> generic ones would be an advantage due to the drop in price.

Tony Polson

"Peter J E Brunning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've been happy with the service from 7dayshop in (tax-free) Guernsey - they
>certainly ship to UK. http://www.7dayshop.com/
>Prices seem good and I've bought memory cards and printer cartridges among
>other things. I once had a problem but they replaced the card without
>question.

7dayshop will not accept orders from outside the UK, even though the
goods ordered might be shipped to the UK. Perhaps the OP's relatives
in the UK could purchase the items for him?

I have heard good reports of 7dayshop's generic cards.

Roy G

"Tony Polson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Peter J E Brunning" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>I've been happy with the service from 7dayshop in (tax-free) Guernsey -
>>they
>>certainly ship to UK. http://www.7dayshop.com/
>>Prices seem good and I've bought memory cards and printer cartridges among
>>other things. I once had a problem but they replaced the card without
>>question.

> 7dayshop will not accept orders from outside the UK, even though the
> goods ordered might be shipped to the UK. Perhaps the OP's relatives
> in the UK could purchase the items for him?
>
> I have heard good reports of 7dayshop's generic cards.

Hi

My memory dot com will ship internationally from their base in the Channel
Islands, and their prices are much the same as 7 day shop.

I am quite sure that some of the more reputable dealers in Hong Kong would
also be able to supply at a good price. I have used Keaphoto dot com
without any problems through Ebay.

Roy G