Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Remote control (or movement sensor) on compact camera?

Remote control (or movement sensor) on compact camera?

Jax

I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.

How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
press a button?

Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
area?

Bob Salomon

In article <Xns9827A62142769628D1@127.0.0.1>, Jax <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
> press a button?
>
> Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
> camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
> area?

From what distance? daylight or night? Camera in window or outdoors?

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

Alex Butcher

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:19:52 +0100, Jax wrote:

> I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
> press a button?

My Olympus C-750 has an IR remote, and I'm pretty sure its replacement,
the C-770 does too. Pricerunner says you can get a 770 for 177.87 inc from
Info-Tech Systems (but note that they have some stinky reviews on
Pricerunner, FWIW!).

Unfortunately, I think Olympus have dropped this feature from their
'Creative' range of cameras.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

Dale Grimsley

Own up you just want to take pictures of 'doggers'

"Alex Butcher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 16:19:52 +0100, Jax wrote:
>
>> I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>>
>> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
>> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
>> press a button?

> My Olympus C-750 has an IR remote, and I'm pretty sure its replacement,
> the C-770 does too. Pricerunner says you can get a 770 for 177.87 inc from
> Info-Tech Systems (but note that they have some stinky reviews on
> Pricerunner, FWIW!).
>
> Unfortunately, I think Olympus have dropped this feature from their
> 'Creative' range of cameras.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex.
> --
> Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG
> ID:0x5010dbff
>
> "[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
> identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
> abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it,
> look
> it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
> - Tony Blair, 6 June 2006
> <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

George K

Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.

http://www.harbortronics.com/

Jax wrote:
> I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
> press a button?
>
> Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
> camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
> area?

Matt Ion

Jax wrote:
> I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
> press a button?
>
> Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
> camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
> area?

It wouldn't be hard to wire a standard passive-IR motion sensor (the type used
in home alarm systems) with a remote wire to trigger the camera... powering it
would be the only issue, but they don't draw a lot, so it could run on battery
for quite a while.

Alex Butcher

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:12:22 +0100, Dale Grimsley wrote:

> Own up you just want to take pictures of 'doggers'

Smiley noted, but I've found the IR remote useful for a) self-portraits
and b) long-exposure shots on a tripod (e.g. fireworks) where pressing the
button on the camera can cause the camera to shake for a few moments
afterwards.

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 <http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp>

thoss

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 Jax wrote:

>I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
>How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
>camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
>press a button?

Pentax do two remote controls which fit many of their cameras - with and
without remote zoom control. These are infra-red, and the sensor on my
750Z is on the front of the camera, which may not be the most convenient
position. Mine cost about 20.
--
Thoss

Bill Marrs

Google "trail camera" and "game camera".

"Jax" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I want to take some pictures of animal and wildlife.
>
> How much does one have to spend here in the UK to get a compact digital
> camera which has a remote control which lets me fire the shutter when I
> press a button?
>
> Alternatively is it possible to get a reasonably-priced compact digital
> camera which will take a picture when it senses movement in the picture
> area?

Dave

George K wrote:
> Look at Harbortonics for some possible solutions. The make controllers
> and are going to offer an outdoor solar powered timelapse housing.
>
> http://www.harbortronics.com/

Agreed. They're very helpful - I got a call about an order at 9.00am,
which is midnight their time.