Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Converting AVI's / Reducing Quality

Converting AVI's / Reducing Quality

poddys

My new Canon A620 takes movies in AVI format. I would like to take my
movies in the highest quality for viewing locally, but I would also
like to reduce the quality (and size if necessary) so that I can email
them or set links to them on my web site for others to view.

Even at the lowest quality settings the camera is generating a 4mb
movie every 10-15 seconds. Is there some good "ideally free" software
that will allow me to reduce the quality to make this possible?

I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
often.
Thanks in advance.

bruin70@mail.com

i can offer a suggestion, but it involves dvd to compressed avi. ie,,,i
can encode full dvd's to 600-900kb. it would thus involve an extra
step.

but if you can create dvd format from your avi clips,,,,,,,

get dvdshrink. it's free. it's cool. it's easy. my dvd's are perfectly
viewable at 50% compression on a monitor, but you can compress anywhere
in between.

then get pocketdivxencoder. even cooler. more customizable. i take the
compressed .VOB files from dvdshrink and turn them into avi divx files.

batman begins in high quality = 1gb
other movies = 650-850mb. i play them all on my archos av500 and they
are awesome. i think one minute is about 4-6mb, but i'm not sure.

poddys wrote:
> My new Canon A620 takes movies in AVI format. I would like to take my
> movies in the highest quality for viewing locally, but I would also
> like to reduce the quality (and size if necessary) so that I can email
> them or set links to them on my web site for others to view.
>
> Even at the lowest quality settings the camera is generating a 4mb
> movie every 10-15 seconds. Is there some good "ideally free" software
> that will allow me to reduce the quality to make this possible?
>
> I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
> often.
> Thanks in advance.

Adrian Boliston

"poddys" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> My new Canon A620 takes movies in AVI format. I would like to take my
> movies in the highest quality for viewing locally, but I would also
> like to reduce the quality (and size if necessary) so that I can email
> them or set links to them on my web site for others to view.
>
> Even at the lowest quality settings the camera is generating a 4mb
> movie every 10-15 seconds. Is there some good "ideally free" software
> that will allow me to reduce the quality to make this possible?
>
> I tried a search but came up with nothing productive as happens all too
> often.
> Thanks in advance.

Probably better asking on news:rec.video.desktop or www.videohelp.com on the
web.

Cheers Adrian www.boliston.co.uk

poddys

Thanks - I don't mind if it's a couple of steps, but to end up with a
smaller movie file would be great. I will give it a try...

rcurzon

Windows Media Encoder, free... make a very compact WMV file, and you
can play with it til you get the quality/size that suits you.

This page kind of summarizes and has a few user impressions...

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=..._Media_Encoder

--R

poddys

Windows Media Encoder works really smooth - something from MS that
looks to do a good job - wow! Managed to create some small test video
clips, it even increased the image size of one test nicely. Thanks for
the suggestion - unless I find anything better I'm going with this.