Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Reccomend a colour wheel?

Reccomend a colour wheel?

Mike Barnard

Hi.

There are numerous sites that have versions of the colour wheel out
there. Lots of downloadable programs, charts, sites etc.

Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea!

What have you used and binned, or better still what have you kept?

Thanks.

jack

no need to buy one, several online for free...........

I'll try to be back with links later

kdarling@basit.com

On Mar 2, 6:37 pm, Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
> where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
> site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea!

Scheme Generator is one...

http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

Another is HTML Safe Colors, but there are some neat twist links on
left:

http://www.musemixer.com/HTML-HEX-Color-Chart/

IANAA (I am not an artist
Kev

Mike Barnard

On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Mar 2, 6:37 pm, Mike Barnard <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
>> where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
>> site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea!

>Scheme Generator is one...
>
>http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

>Another is HTML Safe Colors, but there are some neat twist links on
>left:
>
>http://www.musemixer.com/HTML-HEX-Color-Chart/

Hmm, bookmarked now thanks, but not *exactly* what I'm after.

>IANAA (I am not an artist
>Kev

Nor I!

Mike Barnard

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 01:49:08 GMT, jack <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>no need to buy one, several online for free...........
>
>I'll try to be back with links later

I'm holding my breath....

#face{
color: #0000ff;
}

John Hosking

Mike Barnard wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>

>>Scheme Generator is one...
>>
>>http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

> Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
> and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

Down, on the left, just above the footer, there's a link:
"Enter RGB (rough conversion)" which produces a dialog into which you
can enter (not RGB) hex values like FF33C6 (which then may get rounded
to something else).

--
John

Mike Barnard

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 12:12:31 +0100, John Hosking
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Mike Barnard wrote:
>> On 2 Mar 2007 18:03:28 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>

>>>Scheme Generator is one...
>>>
>>>http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

>> Seen that. Can't see a place to input a start colour that I may like
>> and see what potential contrasts it can comeup with.

>Down, on the left, just above the footer, there's a link:
>"Enter RGB (rough conversion)" which produces a dialog into which you
>can enter (not RGB) hex values like FF33C6 (which then may get rounded
>to something else).

Ah, fantastic. That tiny link has brought new life to the site!
Thanks.

Toby A Inkster

kdarling wrote:

> Scheme Generator is one...
> http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

I'd also recommend its predecessor:
http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo.../index-en.html

which I have found gives more pleasing (to me) results.

Pixy also has this, which is pretty handy:
http://www.wellstyled.com/tools/colo...e/free-en.html

And a quick plug for my own site... it's not really a colour wheel, but a
colour mixer. Choose as many colours as you want, type them all in, and it
will tell you the "average" colour. (Imagine mixing lots of paints
together.)

e.g.: average(black, white) = #7f7f7f
e.g.: average(black, white, white) = #aaaaaa
e.g.: average(red, yellow) = #ff7f00
e.g.: average(green, silver, white) = #95bf95

http://buzzword.org.uk/colours/

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Kim_Andr=E9_Aker=F8?=

Mike Barnard wrote:

> Hi.
>
> There are numerous sites that have versions of the colour wheel out
> there. Lots of downloadable programs, charts, sites etc.
>
> Before I spend any money, what do YOU recomend as a good one? One
> where I can enter a start colour and get ideas for maybe a business
> site, or a romantic site, or... you get the idea!
>
> What have you used and binned, or better still what have you kept?

Of my more recent discoveries, I've noticed that Adobe has one
(requires Flash):
http://kuler.adobe.com/

Only downside I can think of, is that it's very visual and doesn't
produce any color codes (not even HTML or RGB), so you'll have to pair
it off with a color picker.

Even so, it's pretty handy for discovering matching color schemes.

--
Kim André Akerĝ
- (E-Mail Removed)

John Hosking

Kim André Akerĝ wrote:

> Of my more recent discoveries, I've noticed that Adobe has one
> (requires Flash):
> http://kuler.adobe.com/
>
> Only downside I can think of, is that it's very visual and doesn't
> produce any color codes (not even HTML or RGB), so you'll have to pair
> it off with a color picker.

Actually, you can go to the Create link (where there is a set of five
colors comprising a scheme) and under each color swatch are tables of
values (HSV, RGB, CMYK, etc.). These tables have editable fields, so you
can set in a hex value and see how the colors change dynamically. It
does appear, however, that you must individually copy (ctrl+c or pencil)
the values you want from schemes you develop.

> Even so, it's pretty handy for discovering matching color schemes.

Yes, interesting.

--
John