Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Copying Images To CD Confusion

Copying Images To CD Confusion

Mahombi via PhotoKB.com

As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms with
Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
will certainly be able to solve.

I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give to
someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size on
screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down. The
on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to copy
for (surreptitious) printing.

In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned images
will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
files. But:

1. Am I right?
2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
sizes on screen?
3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning, or
when transferring to CD?
4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?
5. What else do I need to know for this?

A step by step method will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Oh yes, I’m scanning with a brand new Epson V750 Pro. Used it for the first
time yesterday!

Pete

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:56:45 GMT, Mahombi via PhotoKB.com wrote:

> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.
>
> I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
> prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give to
> someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size on
> screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down. The
> on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to copy
> for (surreptitious) printing.
>
> In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned images
> will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
> out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
> files. But:
>
> 1. Am I right?
> 2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
> sizes on screen?
> 3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning, or
> when transferring to CD?
> 4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?
> 5. What else do I need to know for this?
>
> A step by step method will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
>
> Oh yes, Im scanning with a brand new Epson V750 Pro. Used it for the first
> time yesterday!

I'd recommend using JpegSizer to automate this process. In a single pass,
you can very easily:

1. Resize your images in batches as large as you want
2. Resize to consistent pixel dimensions, suitable for onscreen viewing
without scaling.
3. Resharpen the images after resizing.
4. Add a text caption or watermark to discourage unauthorized use.

It doesn't sound like you need to be concerned with the DPI setting at all.

You can download a free trial of JpegSizer here:

http://www.tangotools.com/jpegsizer/?s=ng

HTH

Pete

Neil Harrington

"Mahombi via PhotoKB.com" <u24715@uwe> wrote in message
> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms
> with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.
>
> I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
> prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give
> someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size
> on
> screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down.
> The
> on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to
> copy
> for (surreptitious) printing.
>
> In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned
> images
> will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
> out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
> files. But:
>
> 1. Am I right?

You're probably thinking of 300 ppi (PIXELS per inch), not dpi, for
photographic quality on a final print. The terms ppi and dpi are often
confused. No, you would not normally scan at such a low resolution as 300
dpi. On the other hand you probably don't need the maximum resolution of
your scanner, either -- it would probably create humungously large files.

TIFF is great if you have the space for it, but fine-quality JPG will give
you much smaller files, do it a bit faster, and you'll probably never be
able to tell the difference in quality. That choice is really up to you.

> 2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
> sizes on screen?

Not until you do display them on the screen, and then whatever software you
use for displaying them should take care of sizing them automatically.

> 3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning,
> or
> when transferring to CD?

Not usually during scanning. You can sharpen them when and if necessary from
the original image at any later time.

> 4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?

No. That 72 dpi figure is just supposed to be the monitor resolution, and
isn't necessarily correct for that either. It really has nothing to do with
the resolution of the image you're saving on CD.

> 5. What else do I need to know for this?
>
> A step by step method will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There are lots of books covering scanning and related subjects, and there
used to be some good Web sites about it too -- I imagine there still are,
and some may indeed take you through step by step. Google for 'em. Also,
check Amazon.com for books about it.

> Oh yes, I'm scanning with a brand new Epson V750 Pro. Used it for the
> first
> time yesterday!

Whatever software came with your new Epson, along with its documentation,
should be enough to get you started and probably well on the way. I'd
thoroughly explore that before doing anything else if I were you.

Neil

Tom G

> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms
> with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.

Love (seriously), your use of words. Almost like reading poetry.

Tom G.

Stewy

In article <65022461c1ccc@uwe>, "Mahombi via PhotoKB.com" <u24715@uwe>
wrote:

> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.
>
> I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
> prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give to
> someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size on
> screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down. The
> on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to copy
> for (surreptitious) printing.
>
> In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned images
> will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
> out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
> files.
>
> 1. Am I right?

No. Scanning photographs at 300 is probably OK - 600 would be a lot
better. Negs and slides should be at least 2400 - ideally 4000 if you
can.

> 2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
> sizes on screen?

If you scan at the same size, they'll be the same size!

> 3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning, or
> when transferring to CD?

Try it. If they look odd - no, if they look OK - yes.

> 4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?

72dpi is screen resolution don't do nothin' and you'll get 72.

> 5. What else do I need to know for this?

Try a bit of common sense.

Marvin

Mahombi via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.
>
> I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
> prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give to
> someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size on
> screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down. The
> on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to copy
> for (surreptitious) printing.
>
> In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned images
> will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
> out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
> files. But:
>
> 1. Am I right?

The prints should be scanned at 300 ppi, but film negatives
(if that is what you mean by color transparencies) need to
be scanned at a much higher pixel count to get all the
detail (try 1200 ppi), with a transparency adaptor in your
scanner.
> 2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
> sizes on screen?

You can use slide-show software to do that job, and also to
affange the images in the order you prefer.
> 3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning, or
> when transferring to CD?

I feel that any scan improves with some sharpening. I do
all image editing on my computer (with Paint Shop Pro), for
better control than what the sharpen setting on a scanner
allows. If oyu are satisfied with letting the scanner
sharpen, use it and save some time.
> 4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?

No, if oyu use slide show software.
> 5. What else do I need to know for this?

Don't fuss too much about color matching. The people who
get the CD won't see colors the same way on their monitors,
unless you happen to have done a lot to coordinate settings.

> A step by step method will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!
>
> Oh yes, I’m scanning with a brand new Epson V750 Pro. Used it for the first
> time yesterday!

I recently got an Epson Perfection 3490 Photo scanner. For
an inexpensive machine, it does a great job.

stauffer@usfamily.net

Mahombi via PhotoKB.com wrote:
> As a recently deflowered digital virgin, who is barely on nodding terms with
> Photoshop, I have a problem which I am sure you digital boffins out there,
> will certainly be able to solve.
>
> I have a number of colour transparencies (35mm to 6x12cm), colour and b/w
> prints of different sizes. All of which I wish to load onto a CD, to give to
> someone. Each image needs to display individually and at a reasonable size on
> screen without the recipient having to play around scrolling up and down. The
> on screen quality has to be excellent, whilst not being good enough to copy
> for (surreptitious) printing.
>
> In order to achieve this and bearing in mind, that some of the scanned images
> will, at a later date, be edited for other purposes, can you folks help me
> out? I'm assuming that they should be scanned at 300dpi and saved as TIFF
> files. But:
>
> 1. Am I right?

300 ppi is pretty low ofr a 35mm. You need higher res scans for those.
300 is fine for the larger formats.

> 2. Does each image need to be re-sized to get them to display at similar
> sizes on screen?

This depends on the software the recipient will use. There is lots of
software that will show virtually any size image full screen.

> 3. Should they be sharpened? If so, should this be done during scanning, or
> when transferring to CD?

Depends on your scanner, but probably not.

> 4. Should the resolution be reduced to 72dpi for the CD burn?

No.
> 5. What else do I need to know for this?

If you are SURE the file will be edited a lot, use TIFF. However, a
single jpeg at a mild compression should be fine for most uses.

> A step by step method will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

I'd scan the images and store in a new folder. When it comes time to
burn, merely burn the whole folder.