Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

ASAAR

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:48:24 GMT, Beemer wrote:

> | If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
> | know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.
> |

> I'm using XP SP2 and DiscJuggler Pro 4.6
>
> I tried to make a RW+ data dvd with 3500 photos a mix of jpg, tiff and PSD
> with all files in the root (if I can use that word with a dvd) then treid
> again with them in a single folder. Same result after approx 2.2GB and
> around 2000 files DJ reported disc full.

You're more likely to get useful advice in another newsgroup, such
as alt.comp.periphs.cdr, which despite its name has many threads
discussing DVDs. One thing you may not be aware of is that you
don't immediately lay out most of the information needed to diagnose
your DVD problems. For instance, the above "tried to make" didn't
say *how* you tried to make the data dvd. For instance, the Roxio
software that I use lets me create a Data Disc (which may or may not
be what you used), Multimedia Disc, Bootable Disc or CD Extra Disc.
You can also use Drag To Disc (packet writing) which is notoriously
unreliable, should not be mixed with one of the previous methods,
and which you also say (below) that you tried. Based on what I've
read in the periphs.cdr newsgroup, using drag to disc should be a
last resort option, and it's the most likely method to produce discs
that won't be readable on other computers.

> I had tried three RW+ DVDs which had previously held VIDEO_TS. They had
> been erased using DJP.
>
> There was no indication in DJP when I was burning the photos that the DVD
> still contained content. However when I used XP "drag to CD" then alternate
> clicked to make DVD I noticed that it said "files available" but also "files
> already on disc" (or similar words)

See above.

> Thanks to all for the discussion. Just to finish it off am I correct that
> it makes no difference when burning a data DVD whether a large number of
> files are first put inside a folder?

You're not clear. Are you talking about putting the large number
of files into a folder on the hard drive, or in a folder on the DVD?
For what it's worth, I've made copies of folders containing 10,000
files using Roxio's Creator Classic to burn Data Discs as well as
using their Drag to Disc software. Both methods worked perfectly.

> Beemer
>

> It was only when I used the XP drag to "CD" and then

Is this what is known as a clue fragment? <g>

Beemer

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:48:24 GMT, Beemer wrote:
|
| > | If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
| > | know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.
| > |

| > I'm using XP SP2 and DiscJuggler Pro 4.6
| >
| > I tried to make a RW+ data dvd with 3500 photos a mix of jpg, tiff and
PSD
| > with all files in the root (if I can use that word with a dvd) then
treid
| > again with them in a single folder. Same result after approx 2.2GB and
| > around 2000 files DJ reported disc full.
|
| You're more likely to get useful advice in another newsgroup, such
| as alt.comp.periphs.cdr, which despite its name has many threads
| discussing DVDs. One thing you may not be aware of is that you
| don't immediately lay out most of the information needed to diagnose
| your DVD problems. For instance, the above "tried to make" didn't
| say *how* you tried to make the data dvd. For instance, the Roxio
| software that I use lets me create a Data Disc (which may or may not
| be what you used), Multimedia Disc, Bootable Disc or CD Extra Disc.
| You can also use Drag To Disc (packet writing) which is notoriously
| unreliable, should not be mixed with one of the previous methods,
| and which you also say (below) that you tried. Based on what I've
| read in the periphs.cdr newsgroup, using drag to disc should be a
| last resort option, and it's the most likely method to produce discs
| that won't be readable on other computers.
|

| > I had tried three RW+ DVDs which had previously held VIDEO_TS. They had
| > been erased using DJP.
| >
| > There was no indication in DJP when I was burning the photos that the
DVD
| > still contained content. However when I used XP "drag to CD" then
alternate
| > clicked to make DVD I noticed that it said "files available" but also
"files
| > already on disc" (or similar words)
|
| See above.
|
| > Thanks to all for the discussion. Just to finish it off am I correct
that
| > it makes no difference when burning a data DVD whether a large number of
| > files are first put inside a folder?
|
| You're not clear. Are you talking about putting the large number
| of files into a folder on the hard drive, or in a folder on the DVD?
| For what it's worth, I've made copies of folders containing 10,000
| files using Roxio's Creator Classic to burn Data Discs as well as
| using their Drag to Disc software. Both methods worked perfectly.
|

| > Beemer
| >

| > It was only when I used the XP drag to "CD" and then
| >

| Is this what is known as a clue fragment? <g>

No just the dregs from my hurried editing! Also I had realised that my
dragging was actually using "copy to DVD" software program which I cannot
remember installing. Unless of course this is the program which XP SP2 uses
to "drag to CD"?

Beemer

Arthur Small

I burn my RAW NEF files to DVD and while each file is about five Meg I get
about 700 files on a 4.7 Gb DVD.

I don't believe that there is any limit to the number of images you can burn
to a DVD as long as the total size of the images does not exceed the size of
the disk.

Try using Nero or Roxio.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

ABC

Any possibility that your DVDs are actually double-sided? If so, half
capacity on each side?