Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

Why can I only burn 3000 files to a DVD?

Matt Ion

Peter A. Stavrakoglou wrote:
> "Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ec708o$bvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>In article
>><44e6fe8f$0$32761$(E-Mail Removed)>,
>>Joan <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote:
>>
>>>You put 3000 files in one folder? Break it down into sub folders by
>>>some meaningful means.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Joan
>>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
>>>
>>>"Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:yxCFg.5648$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>>>: I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get
>>>around 3000
>>>: photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc
>>>full"
>>>:
>>>: Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>>>:
>>>: Beemer
>>>:

>>2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making
>>temporary file that contains all your images.

> Al, isn't the 2GB a limit if FAT16, not FAT32?

2GB is a limitation of FAT16 *drive capacities*. FAT32 still has a limitation
of 2GB *file sizes*. If the burning program is creating a local image on the
HDD before burning, it could have this problem if the designated temporary-file
target is on a FAT32 drive (although that doesn't appear to be the case here).

I'd expect this is a problem with the ISO-9660 filesystem most burner apps
default to. If the OP burns using UDF, he may have more success...

Robert

"Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yxCFg.5648$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
> photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
>
> Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>
> Beemer

Have you checked options. (make bootable will take up extra space) or that
your system is recognizing you DVD drive correctly. or if you have the right
media DVD-r, DVD+r, DVD+rw, DVD-rw for your drive.

you may try another burning software program.

cdburnerxp pro is free to use for private use download it here

http://www.cdburnerxp.se/

Robert

snapper@mailinator.com

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, "Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
> photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
>
> Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?

3,000 photos in one folder is way too many.

I put 200 per folder maximum. This makes the folders heaps faster to open.

Bill Funk

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 11:24:14 GMT, "Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
>photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
>
>Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>
>Beemer

Try breaking the files up into smaller 'chunks', putting each 'chunk'
of files into a seperate folder.
I think there's a limit to how many files the root folder of a DVD can
hold; use folders to break that limit.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

no_name

Beemer wrote:

> I'm trying to burn all my photos to data dvds. I can only get around 3000
> photos aprox 2.2GB in one folder then DiscJuggler reports "disc full"
>
> Is there a file quantity limit for a data DVD?
>
> Beemer

Probably run out of handles.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John

no_name

Pete D wrote:

> "Beemer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:JBDFg.5675$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>
>>"Al Dykes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:ec708o$bvt$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>| In article
>><44e6fe8f$0$32761$(E-Mail Removed)>,

>>| 2GB is a limit in FAT32 file systems. Maybe your software is making a
>>| temporary file that contains all your images.
>>|
>>| If this is the case and you're runing Windows 2000 or XP, converting
>>| your file system to NTFS may be the answer. It's easy but you should
>>| get some hands-on advice, first.
>>|
>>| If you're running Windows 98, you're out of luck.
>>|
>>| --
>>| a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m
>>|
>>| Don't blame me. I voted for Gore. A Proud signature since 2001
>>
>>I'm already using NTFS. Earlier poster alluded that I have put too many
>>files in one folder?
>>
>>Beemer
>>

> DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
handles for the number of files in a single folder.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for
any Government, Commercial or Educational institution.

John

ASAAR

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:48:28 GMT, no_name wrote:

> [...]

. . .

>> DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

> But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
> handles for the number of files in a single folder.

I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
of files in a folder. I just used an old program to create 10,000
files in a single folder, sequentially named the way photo files
usually are. I used a FAT32 partition instead of NTFS and used Easy
Media Creator 8 to append these to a data CD. As the test was only
to see if it could be done or whether insufficient file handles or
any other problem would get in the way, I made the files fairly
small. EMC8 verified the copy and my program also checked the files
and found them to be exact copies of the original files. As I said
in my other message in this thread, there's a good chance that the
version of DiskJuggler used by the OP was designed to work only with
CDs and never even got started writing to the DVD, but reported an
error while it was adding the list of files to its own internal
memory buffers.

Volker Hetzer

ASAAR wrote:

> . . .
>
>>> DVD's don't use NTFS format anyway so it would not matter.

>> But Windoze does. I think what's happening is windoze is running out of
>> handles for the number of files in a single folder.

> I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
> of files in a folder.

ISTR, some old filesystems have a limitation of the number of files in
the root directory.
Maybe the DVD file system suffers from this too?
Try to create one subdirectory and put your photos in there.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

ASAAR

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:46:58 +0200, Volker Hetzer wrote:

> > I just tried that and NT doesn't have a problem with that number
> > of files in a folder.

> ISTR, some old filesystems have a limitation of the number of files in
> the root directory.
> Maybe the DVD file system suffers from this too?
> Try to create one subdirectory and put your photos in there.

Some old FAT filesystems do limit the number of files that can go
in their root directories. But it's hardly reasonable to assume
that it may be responsible for the OP's troubles. First, he did say
that the files were placed in a *folder*, and the error message
appears when he tries filling it with more than 3000 files. I
suspect that he can get more than 3000 files in the folder, but his
version of DiskJuggler chokes when it attempts to scan more than
about 3000 filenames, for the reason given in my first message.
Second, having the files in a folder, it's probable that the OP
would attempt to copy the folder, not its contents to the DVD.
Lastly, he did NOT say that he's using the Professional Edition of
DiskJuggler, which appears to be the only version that's compatible
with DVDs. If he's using the Standard Edition, that would explain
his problem, since DiskJuggler's online documentation shows that it
is designed to work with CDs, not DVDs.

In any case, I don't intend to do any more tests with EMC8, since
whatever it shows is only suggestive of what DiskJuggler might or
might not do. To really know, I'd not only have to use DiskJuggler,
I'd have to use the same version that the OP uses, and so far the
only thing he has identified is that he is using NTFS, but not the
version of Windows nor the version of DiskJuggler.

Beemer

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

http://www.padus.com/support/manuals...2_Features.htm

| If you're using DiskJuggler Professional Edition, then I don't
| know why you can't write more than 2.2 GB to the DVDs.

I'm using XP SP2 and DiscJuggler Pro 4.6

I tried to make a RW+ data dvd with 3500 photos a mix of jpg, tiff and PSD
with all files in the root (if I can use that word with a dvd) then treid
again with them in a single folder. Same result after approx 2.2GB and
around 2000 files DJ reported disc full.

I had tried three RW+ DVDs which had previously held VIDEO_TS. They had
been erased using DJP.

There was no indication in DJP when I was burning the photos that the DVD
still contained content. However when I used XP "drag to CD" then alternate
clicked to make DVD I noticed that it said "files available" but also "files
already on disc" (or similar words)

I had an erasing problem with DJP which after its reinstallation has
disappeared.

Thanks to all for the discussion. Just to finish it off am I correct that
it makes no difference when burning a data DVD whether a large number of
files are first put inside a folder?

Beemer

It was only when I used the XP drag to "CD" and then