Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > A Step Backward ?

A Step Backward ?

What's happened to cameras ?
Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
of camera development.

I'm still grinding my way
through the manual for my new Nikon L4.

There are menus, and sub-menus.
There are special settings for "scenes",
"sunsets" and even "fireworks".

I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.

I can see the shot of a lifetime
slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".

With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

....and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
( no viewfinder ) I wondered if any camera maker
would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?

What next ?

<rj>

Scott W

<RJ> wrote:
> What's happened to cameras ?
> Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
> It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
> of camera development.
>
> I'm still grinding my way
> through the manual for my new Nikon L4.
>
> There are menus, and sub-menus.
> There are special settings for "scenes",
> "sunsets" and even "fireworks".
>
> I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.
>
> I can see the shot of a lifetime
> slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".
>
> With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?
>
> ...and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
> ( no viewfinder ) I wondered if any camera maker
> would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?
>
> What next ?

Sounds to me that you bought the wrong camera, why did you not buy a
DSLR?

Scott

lubecki@hotmail.com

<RJ> wrote:
> What's happened to cameras ?
> Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
> It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
> of camera development.
>
> I'm still grinding my way
> through the manual for my new Nikon L4.
>
> There are menus, and sub-menus.
> There are special settings for "scenes",
> "sunsets" and even "fireworks".
>
> I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.
>
> I can see the shot of a lifetime
> slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".
>
> With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

You bought the wrong camera. There are plenty of modern digital cameras
- even small point-and-shoots - with full manual control (including
manual focus). All the program modes are for people who are either too
dumb or too uninterested in photography to learn how to take pictures.

-Gniewko

Helen

"<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What's happened to cameras ?

Google would have told you in 3 seconds.

MarkČ

<RJ> wrote:
> What's happened to cameras ?
> Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
> It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
> of camera development.
>
> I'm still grinding my way
> through the manual for my new Nikon L4.
>
> There are menus, and sub-menus.
> There are special settings for "scenes",
> "sunsets" and even "fireworks".
>
> I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.
>
> I can see the shot of a lifetime
> slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".
>
> With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?
>
> ...and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
> ( no viewfinder ) I wondered if any camera maker
> would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?
>
> What next ?

Answer: DSLR
All the control you're missing.
Problem solved.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Prometheus

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, "<RJ>"
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>What's happened to cameras ?
>Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
>It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
>of camera development.
>
>I'm still grinding my way
>through the manual for my new Nikon L4.
>
>There are menus, and sub-menus.
>There are special settings for "scenes",
>"sunsets" and even "fireworks".

Don't use them.

>I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.

You don't have to use them.

>I can see the shot of a lifetime
>slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".

Why?

>With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
>f-stop, speed, and focus.

I can do that with my digital camera.

>( and why can't focus be manual ? )

It is, on mine.

>Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
>Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

Yes, quite a few; not all DSLR.

>...and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
>( no viewfinder )

I have an optical viewfinder.

>I wondered if any camera maker
>would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?

Do you mean a waste level finder? I have used a TLR, not bad held
against me.

But I must ask, did you not investigate the market and then purchase a
camera with the facilities you require; or did you just 'purchase' the
wrong one so you could complain here.
--
Ian G8ILZ

Ken Weitzel

<RJ> wrote:
> What's happened to cameras ?
> Camera design's been taken over by computer geeks.
> It's like they've forgotten the refinements in 75 years
> of camera development.
>
> I'm still grinding my way
> through the manual for my new Nikon L4.
>
> There are menus, and sub-menus.
> There are special settings for "scenes",
> "sunsets" and even "fireworks".
>
> I don't know how many variants there are for the built-in flash.
>
> I can see the shot of a lifetime
> slipping by while one hunts for "menu G, selection #2".
>
> With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?
>
> ...and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
> ( no viewfinder ) I wondered if any camera maker
> would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?
>
> What next ?

Hi...

Olympus has a pretty nice workaround, that they call
"MyMode" (s)

Take care.

Ken

David J. Littleboy

"<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

All modern dSLRs provide all three controls. It's just the P&S cameras that
don't.

With a DSLR, you'll like AF better than manual focus, though. (With a fast
lens, I find manual focus just as nice on my dSLRs as it is on my film SLRs
and TLRs, although a lot of people complain about it.)

> ...and while holding the camera with outstretched arms,
> ( no viewfinder ) I wondered if any camera maker
> would bring out a digital with the old Rollieflex form factor ?

The Sony F707 and F717 worked like a Rolleiflex if you wanted. But, strange
as it may seem, my Rolleiflex TLR still works just like a Rolleiflex TLR.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

lubecki@hotmail.com

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
> > f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
> > Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
> > Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

> All modern dSLRs provide all three controls. It's just the P&S cameras that
> don't.

There are plenty of P&S cameras that give you complete control. Not all
of them, but many do.

-Gniewko

David J. Littleboy

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>> "<RJ>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >
>> > With my old ( film ) camera, I could control;
>> > f-stop, speed, and focus. ( and why can't focus be manual ? )
>> > Pretty much all the variables in a picture.
>> > Is there a modern digital camera with these three controls ?

>> All modern dSLRs provide all three controls. It's just the P&S cameras
>> that
>> don't.

> There are plenty of P&S cameras that give you complete control. Not all
> of them, but many do.

Focus is pretty hard with "real P&S" P&S cameras. If you include the
ZLRs/superzooms in that class, some of those have focus rings. But manual
focus is pretty iffy, except maybe for macro work on static objects that
aren't damaged by bright (hot) lights.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

New Download Manager - a backward step? Mike Windows 64bit 3 02-21-2011 07:22 PM
A Step Backward??? ritpg DVD Video 1 12-07-2007 02:47 AM
using step backward ? Josselin Ruby 7 02-24-2007 11:25 PM
can somebody guide me through this step by step? Taquin Noel Wireless Networking 5 12-26-2004 01:31 AM
Backward North America still...backward! Richard DVD Video 17 08-19-2004 04:55 AM

Advertisments