Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > can i use eyeglass cleaners on my lens

can i use eyeglass cleaners on my lens

no_name

Bert Hyman wrote:

> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) () wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:
>
>>Joan wrote:
>>
>>>Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not
>>>rubbing the dirt in?

>>joan ,,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
>>under running h2o before cleaning them.

> Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
> glasses.

You know now-a-days a whole lot of places give a way those micro-fiber
cloths that fold inside their own little holder & hang from your keychain.

I've got several from just attending various workshops.

--

These are my views. If you've got a problem with it, you can blame it on
me, but this is what I think. I am not the official spokes-person for

John

ASAAR

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 03:37:02 GMT, no_name wrote:

>>>?? You don't just take them off and lick them the way the rest of us do?

>> You must wear Timex wristwatches too!
>>

> Hey! Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'!

You knew! (who knew?). From so many messages posted here by
self-idenified geezers, I'll be John Cameron Swayze hasn't been
completely forgotten either.

DaveW

no_name wrote:
> Bert Hyman wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) () wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

>>> joan ,,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
>>> under running h2o before cleaning them.

>> Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
>> glasses.
>>

> You know now-a-days a whole lot of places give a way those micro-fiber
> cloths that fold inside their own little holder & hang from your keychain.
>
> I've got several from just attending various workshops.

Yes, but they don't do very well with oily stuff, like if you touch the
outside of your nose and then your glasses. Spit and a T-shirt works
better. My other problem with the miro-fiber sheets is that they get
dirty in a hurry.

I clean my glasses several times a day, and you just can't get enough of
those cloths economically to make that work.

Nothing works better than soap and warm running water. I've been wearing
eyeglasses for more than 30 years, plastic lenses for most of that time.
Yes, indeed, my glasses get scratched eventually, but I buy a new pair
once a year anyway after my annual exam, so what's the difference.

My camera lenses are another story. They are expected to last years and
years, and therefore, they get better treatment. Still I don't care for
those crinkley Kodak lens tissues. A quick dust with a camel hair
puffer, and if that doesn't do it, a drop of commercial camera lens
cleaner and a (non aloe, non scented, regular old fashioned) facial
tissue has worked for me for decades.

Regards,

DAve

Joan

I haven't discussed glasses cleaning methods with my friends, so I
don't know how other people clean their glasses. I do know that the
anti-glare coating on my glasses can get scratched as I did scratch a
pair many years ago. Since then, I wash my hands with soap or
soft-soap and while they're still soapy I pick up my glasses, let the
running water fall over them then soap them up and rinse them and then
rinse my hands. I dry my hands on a towel then my glasses on a
Kleenex plain tissue.

I remember grabbing a tissue at my sister's place a couple of years
ago and couldn't work out why my glasses were getting worse. She had
those fancy impregnated tissues!

--
Joan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
:
: Joan wrote:
: > Surely you wash your glasses under running water so you're not
rubbing
: > the dirt in?
:
: joan ,,,i don't know anybody so anal as to put their glasses
: under running h2o before cleaning them. normal folk take off their
: glasses, pull out a hanky, and wipe.
:

Joan

Does that damage the anti-glare coating?

--
Joan

"Floyd L. Davidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: (I tend to use isopropyl alchohol just as
: often as water).
:
: --
: Floyd L. Davidson <http://www.apaflo.com/floyd_davidson>
: Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

ASAAR

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 16:55:44 +1000, Joan wrote:

> I remember grabbing a tissue at my sister's place a couple of years
> ago and couldn't work out why my glasses were getting worse. She had
> those fancy impregnated tissues!

So that's where those little tissues come from!

Joan

The pocket packs? Yes, probably

--
Joan

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

"Joan" <(E-Mail Removed)2> wrote:
>Does that damage the anti-glare coating?

I can't imagine that it does. What it does that is good, is
dissolve any oils. A good mild soap will also do that, but
it takes a little more effort. I just happen to have a bottle
of isopropyl alcohol within reach, while a sink with running
water and soap is some distance away, so I do what is easy.

Note that by comparison, you do *not* want to try cleaning
a camera lense with isopropyl alcohol. It leaves a residue
that has to be wiped off, and the coating on a camera lense
will eventually be damaged. Eye glasses don't last that long,
so it isn't a problem.

>"Floyd L. Davidson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: (I tend to use isopropyl alcohol just as
>: often as water).

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Bart van der Wolf

"DaveW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
SNIP
> Yes, but they don't do very well with oily stuff, like if you touch
> the outside of your nose and then your glasses.

Breathing on the surface and wiping with the cloth works very well for
me, but plastics can indeed be tough to clean.

> Spit and a T-shirt works better. My other problem with the
> miro-fiber sheets is that they get dirty in a hurry.

That just proves they work, doesn't it?

> I clean my glasses several times a day, and you just can't get
> enough of those cloths economically to make that work.

Get a bigger one! Even better, get 2 bigger ones, and you can wash/dry
one (at high temperatures depending on the instrucions) without using
softeners etc., and use the other one till you swap them.

--
Bart

George K

You can use whatever you want to clean your lenses. Just remember your
camera lenses will be used far longer than your eye glasses so any
damage will accumulate with time. The coatings on camera lenses are
different than the coatings on glasses. I think it would be prudent to
read and follow the manufacturers instructions.

The best advice I have heard is "do not get your lens dirty in the
first place". And always use the least of amount of cleaning necessary
to clean the lens.

Prevention and limiting the damage in the first place is the best
advice. I use a sacrificial NC filter when a lens is mounted on the
camera, unless I know it will degrade the shoot, and always use front
and rear lens caps when a lens is off the camera.