Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > can i use eyeglass cleaners on my lens

can i use eyeglass cleaners on my lens

Floyd L. Davidson

>all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.

Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
years.

Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska) (E-Mail Removed)

Philippe

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

> I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.
>
> Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
> ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
> years.

most people usually fog them up prior to wiping (Hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

P.

--
I do *NOT* have a short attention sp...(Oooh!! shiny!!)

Bart van der Wolf

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

When sailing in salt water, I lick them clean before drying of with a
microfiber cloth. My spectacles that is, not my camera lenses .

Bart

bruin70@mail.com

Floyd L. Davidson wrote:

> Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
> ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
> years.

that's ok. my eyes need new glasses every 6 months from me spending too
much time on mesage boards.

ASAAR

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 12:52:48 -0400, Cynicor wrote:

>> Then you must not know anyone who has plastic lenses in their eye
>> glasses.

> ?? You don't just take them off and lick them the way the rest of us do?

You must wear Timex wristwatches too!

Daryl Bryant

Why not?!?? - saline solution is filtered, sterile and contains sodium
chloride i.e. in my opinion is a great lens cleaner!!!

Is also cheaper if you purchase by the pint!!!

--
Bing Bang Boom Viola Done!
"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OYhFg.65057$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > i feel so newbie asking this.
> >
> > at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
> > optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
> > eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning
> > solution or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses
> > over time. you have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses
> > don't require any attention after you put on a filter.
> >
> > so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
> > eyeglass cleaners.

> Sure you can use it. No one will arrest you for doing it, but keep in
> mind that eyeglasses and camera glass is not made the same and has

different
> coatings on it. The eyeglass manufacturers know people will clean them

off
> on their blue jeans so they take that into account. The camera lens
> manufacturers do not.
>
> I normally do not recommend the use of filters to "protect" a lens,

but
> if you are in a situation where you need to clean your lens often or if

you
> just like cleaning it, then I suggest a UV or plain glass "filter" may be

> good idea so you can clean it and throw it away from time to time.
>
> While a small chip on the front of a lens will generally not do any
> noticeable damage to the images produced, the many small scratches from
> miss-cleaning can.
>
> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Daryl Bryant

"Roy G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iFhFg.2676$(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >i feel so newbie asking this.
> >
> > at first i thought why not, but then i got to thinking that camera
> > optics may actually require more care. my glasses get sctratched
> > eventually, but i don't know if that's because of the cleaning solution
> > or just dust settling and getting rubbed into the lenses over time. you
> > have to clean glasses every day, but camera lenses don't require any
> > attention after you put on a filter.
> >
> > so can i use eyeglass cleaners and cloth??? ,,,,like the lenscrafter
> > eyeglass cleaners.

> NO. NO. NO

yer on crack!! <grin>

Joseph Meehan

Daryl Bryant wrote:
> Why not?!?? - saline solution is filtered, sterile and contains sodium
> chloride i.e. in my opinion is a great lens cleaner!!!
>
> Is also cheaper if you purchase by the pint!!!

I don't believe that saline solutions are recommended for cleaning
eyeglasses. They are recommended for cleaning eyes.

A saline solution is a salt solution. The salt would add nothing I know
of to the cleaning properties and would leave salt deposits on the lens.
Salt, if it got into the metal parts, would cause corrosion. That would be
a very poor cleaner for eye glasses or lenses.

I suppose you really intended to say eyeglass cleaning solutions. The
problem there are that there is no standard solution. there may be a hundred
different solutions available. It is not likely that they all would be good
for camera lenses, and I would guess some would be good. Why take the
chance when lens cleaner is cheap. On bottle of the stuff should last for
years, unless you have very difficult environments you are using the lens in
or you are over cleaning the lenses and are likely to damage them from that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Frank ess

Philippe wrote:
> Floyd L. Davidson wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> all my friends do,,,but they don't run their glasses under water.

>> I'll bet dollars to donuts that you are *wrong*.
>>
>> Cleaning plastic lenses when they are dry is a guaranteed way to
>> ensure a need for new lenses within a few months rather than
>> years.
>>

> most people usually fog them up prior to wiping
> (Hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaahhhhh)

> P.

Here we go again! with the "normals", the "mosts", all the words
designed to shore up our intuitive positions.

I keep hearing this is a "technical" group; don't you reckon it
deserves more explicit language, or at least a little foot-noting of