Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > why are some images sharp and others not

why are some images sharp and others not

bruin70@mail.com

is your minolta a dslr or advanced p& s?

bruin70@mail.com

Jim Townsend wrote:

> I find that hard to believe, especially since the FZ30 has
> an Electronic Viewfinder. I've never used an FZ30, but I have
> used several cameras with EVF viewfinders. The pixels are just
> too coarse to see details fine enough to determine accurate
> focus.
>
> But.... You have the camera, so I won't argue

well, if the camera is fixed on the whole painting at the point where i
will shoot the final image, yes,,,the image is grainy and i can only
get as good as af if i try real hard(no point to that. i may as well
use af)

if i zoom in i can mf to a brush stroke or canvas texture as sharp as a
tack!!! which is what i was hoping for. what i didn't expect was a
change in the focus when i zoom back out to the final distance.

bruin70@mail.com

there are some things suggested that i may have taken for granted. this
procedure is how i used to shoot my artwork with a standard slr. i will
first try focuaing on each indivisually.

do the dslr's do a better job with ths procedure than advanced point
and shoot like my fz30?

Tiny Tim

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> there are some things suggested that i may have taken for granted.
> this procedure is how i used to shoot my artwork with a standard slr.
> i will first try focuaing on each indivisually.
>
> do the dslr's do a better job with ths procedure than advanced point
> and shoot like my fz30?

Just an idea and no idea if it is possible with the FZ30 but could you
connect it to a laptop or PC while taking the photographs and either use
"remote shooting" from the laptop to check live focus or at least check the
focus once the shot is taken?

I can do the latter with my Canon 30D, and have done recently - just
yesterday in fact - but there is no live preview on an SLR, except one of
the Olympus models, but this approach should speed up the process and
improve focus accuracy. Not only will you have a lot more display pixels to
display the image in the first place but it should be easy to zoom in to a
100% (one pixel in the image mapped to one pixel on the screen) view to
check exactly the image you have.

bruin70@mail.com

Bigguy wrote:

> Best to focus on each picture individually - are you sure the autofocus is
> off?
>
> Guy

as you and others have suggested, i tried using the same procedure BUT
on each painting seperately, not one setting for all. the problem
painting came in pretty sharp, so i think that is what i'll have to do
from now on.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> Roy G wrote:
>
>> I am a little surprised, (very little),,,,,,,,,,,
>> If you change the Zoom setting the lens will need to be re focussed, each
>> and every time.

> i'm surprised, then, that i cannot do something i was able to do 30
> years ago with a simple slr. refocusing after i zoom out defeats the
> whole point of getting the sharpest image. i can mf better than af, and
> zooming in allows me to use the canvas texure to get it exact.
>

>> Are you using a Sturdy Tripod?

> yes
>
>> Are you using some sort of remote release or delayed action?
>>

> no
>
>> Are you and everyone else in the room staying still, before and during
>> the
>> exposure?

> yes
>
>> You are aware, I hope, that there will be some optimum settings of the
>> lens,
>> for both Zoom and Aperture.

> no i'm not, and how do i find out? does every manual have this? i
> bnever checked but i'm guessing that i'm shooting at about 55-70 slr
> equilvalent.
>
>> You will also, of course, not be using the full frame, because any lens
>> faults will be more evident at the edges.

> i am using full frame, but the heart of the paiting is what i'm
> complaining about
>

>> Roy G

What makes you think the fz30 is an advanced camera??

Do you actually believe the idiot who promotes it?
He has a mental problem.

It is a very ordinary point and Shoot Camera.

Of course an SLR or DSLR would do a better job than a simple P & S. But
even on them you will still need to re-focus after you change the Zoom
settings.

You would probably be better off trying this with a fixed focal length lens.

Photographing artwork is not easy. It is best done professionally using a
Rostrum Camera.

Roy G

bruin70@mail.com

Roy G wrote:
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,era.

> Of course an SLR or DSLR would do a better job than a simple P & S. But
> even on them you will still need to re-focus after you change the Zoom
> settings.
>
> You would probably be better off trying this with a fixed focal length lens.

> Roy G

hmmmm...rebel with a 35mm/f2....i seem to zoom out to about 35mm all
the time.

bruin70@mail.com

i will have to check the included software and/or call panasonic tech
supp. the camera comes with a usb connection, opr maybe there's a third
party app that does the real time thing...thx

Tiny Tim wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > there are some things suggested that i may have taken for granted.
> > this procedure is how i used to shoot my artwork with a standard slr.
> > i will first try focuaing on each indivisually.
> >
> > do the dslr's do a better job with ths procedure than advanced point
> > and shoot like my fz30?

> Just an idea and no idea if it is possible with the FZ30 but could you
> connect it to a laptop or PC while taking the photographs and either use
> "remote shooting" from the laptop to check live focus or at least check the
> focus once the shot is taken?
>
> I can do the latter with my Canon 30D, and have done recently - just
> yesterday in fact - but there is no live preview on an SLR, except one of
> the Olympus models, but this approach should speed up the process and
> improve focus accuracy. Not only will you have a lot more display pixels to
> display the image in the first place but it should be easy to zoom in to a
> 100% (one pixel in the image mapped to one pixel on the screen) view to
> check exactly the image you have.

David J Taylor

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> i mf because if i can focus on the canvas weave, i can do better than
> af. that is the reason for my zoom+mf approach.

However, the camera you are using /requires/ that you refocus if you
change the zoom setting - its lens is designed differently to some other
lenses you may have used. You need to be aware of focussing too close
without using macro mode. What size of artwork are you photographing?

I have had good results with Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 cameras, although I prefer
my Nikon Coolpix 8400 for that sort of job. Because of the much greater
depth of field with small sensor cameras, I don't ever recall using manual
focus (and the FZ5 doesn't have it in any case)!

David

David J Taylor

Jim Townsend wrote:
[]
> I find that hard to believe, especially since the FZ30 has
> an Electronic Viewfinder. I've never used an FZ30, but I have
> used several cameras with EVF viewfinders. The pixels are just
> too coarse to see details fine enough to determine accurate
> focus.
>
> But.... You have the camera, so I won't argue

If you had used one of the Panasonic cameras, you would know that the
centre portion of the image is expanded when the manual focus ring is
turned, and that you see down to the pixel level quite easily. Manual
focussing is quite precise with this viewfinder enhancement.

David