Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Saving family photos

Saving family photos

luk

I've been restoring and saving family
photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
drive preserve them longer?

Luk

Joseph Meehan

luk wrote:
> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

Good question. I don't know about life expectancy of flash drives. I
would suggest that it would be a good idea to make at least two copies of
the CD-R and renew them every 3-5 years. Keep one copy with you and one
with friend or family far away, like across country. No matter what, one is
likely to survive.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Paul Heslop

luk wrote:

> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

what about an external hard drive?
--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look

Sharp

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:35:05 GMT, Paul Heslop
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>luk wrote:
>>
>> I've been restoring and saving family
>> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
>> drive preserve them longer?
>>
>> Luk

>what about an external hard drive?

Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

luk

Sharp wrote:

> Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
> get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
> more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
> I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
> spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

Interesting.
As it happens, I asked at my local computer store
what CD-Rs would last the longest. I was sent to
the tech department. The tech department didn't
know either. I specifically asked whether gold-
toned disks were better and they had no idea.

Luk

Paul Heslop

luk wrote:

> Sharp wrote:
>
> > Another thing worth considering is using the best quality CDRs you can
> > get. Check out the CDRs at http://www.inkjetart.com/mitsui/. They cost
> > more, but should last a lot more reliably than the 35 cent CDRs, which
> > I've had go bad on me from simple storage -- really go bad from
> > spending time in a car during an Alabama summer.

> Interesting.
> As it happens, I asked at my local computer store
> what CD-Rs would last the longest. I was sent to
> the tech department. The tech department didn't
> know either. I specifically asked whether gold-
> toned disks were better and they had no idea.
>
> Luk

many people recommend Taiyo yuden but then you have the 'is it real or
is it fake' thing.

--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Jim

On 2006-08-15 11:23:16 -0400, luk <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

Kodachrome.. oops hardly an option anymore. I am glad my earliest
memories are on Dad's Kodachrome. They will be around for a very long
time. That being said, most my stuff is scanned to digital or
originated as digital. Its all stored on hard drives. And it is
backed up to DVD every so often. Every 6 months, I take one of the
DVD's and put in my Safe Deposit box. every two months I take one to
work and put it in my desk (and yes, there are no photo's on that DVD
that I fear my employer finding.. at work, its the employers property).

I would not trust a flash drive. Too easy to erase, smash, lose etc.
Make backups, often. Keep at least two generations of backups. Man,
life was so much easier in the days of Kodachrome or black and white
negatives. The stuff would last forever.

In 10 years, will you be able to buy a device to read DVD's, CD's or
current hard disk file systems.. . a question worth thinking long and
hard about.

Its not so far fetched. In the datacenter I manage, I need to maintain
several old tape systems to manage Archives on media that is no longer
supported. Yes we copy if off, but there is still a backlog.
--
Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

stauffer@usfamily.net

luk wrote:
> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.

Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

luk

> This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
> estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
> labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
> CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.
>
> Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
> question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
> storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
> good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

How do I make sure I'm buying good
quality disks?

Luk

no_name

luk wrote:

> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

Probably not. Get the best quality CD-R disks you can find & use them.

A backup external hard-disk could also be a good thing. Store the CD
"images" on it.