Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Saving family photos

Saving family photos

stauffer@usfamily.net

luk wrote:

> > This depends a lot on the quality of the CD-R disks. I have seen
> > estimates of from 2-10 years, depending on brand and specifics (and
> > labeling method!). I have seen estimates of 5 years on flash. So GOOD
> > CDs would be better than flash, bad CDs not as good as flash.
> >
> > Our local paper has a weekly column on digital living, and this
> > question was discussed in today's column. The columnist advised against
> > storing on hard drive if drive was used frequently. He advised buying
> > good quality disks, and recopying CD every five years or so.

> How do I make sure I'm buying good
> quality disks?
>
> Luk

Not easy but two suggestions- buy name brand, and in some brands they
sell "premium" longer lasting ones. One brand has a gold plating
coating that is supposed to aid lifetime.

Also, important suggestions- be careful about labeling. I used those
adhesive labels made for disks. Then heard that these are bad-
adhesive leaches into disk plastic. Sure enough, every one of the
disks I had done that way went bad in about a year. I now buy
labelable disks for my Epson printer which will print on CDs, or use a
CD/DVD-safe marking pen, bought at computer store, for less important
disks.

luk

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Not easy but two suggestions- buy name brand, and in some brands they
> sell "premium" longer lasting ones. One brand has a gold plating
> coating that is supposed to aid lifetime.
>
> Also, important suggestions- be careful about labeling. I used those
> adhesive labels made for disks. Then heard that these are bad-
> adhesive leaches into disk plastic. Sure enough, every one of the
> disks I had done that way went bad in about a year. I now buy
> labelable disks for my Epson printer which will print on CDs, or use a
> CD/DVD-safe marking pen, bought at computer store, for less important

I wish you had named names. I've shopped for
CD-R disks in several stores, looking for info
about durability. After determining that CD-Rs
are the category I'm supposed to buy, there aren't
many choices and the labels aren't helpful.

Someone wrote somewhere that gold toned disks
are a good thing. But the only gold toned
disks I found were simply designed for labeling
convenience. They're called LightScribe.
Like this:
http://www.memorex.com/html/products...=129&opento=2#

Luk

John Turco

luk wrote:

<edited, for brevity>

> Someone wrote somewhere that gold toned disks
> are a good thing. But the only gold toned
> disks I found were simply designed for labeling
> convenience. They're called LightScribe.
> Like this:
> http://www.memorex.com/html/products...=129&opento=2#
>
> Luk

Hello, Luk:

Only certain, newer DVD writers can "etch" Light Scribe media. Unless
you own such a device, or intend to acquire one, there's no point in
buying these discs.

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

Joan

How old is your oldest hard drive? Have you tried to use an old 20MB
hard drive?

--
Joan

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: luk wrote:
: >
: > I've been restoring and saving family
: > photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
: > drive preserve them longer?
: >
: > Luk
:
: what about an external hard drive?
: --
: Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
: ------------------------------------------------------
: Stop and Look
: http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Paul Heslop

Joan wrote:

> How old is your oldest hard drive? Have you tried to use an old 20MB
> hard drive?
>
> --
> Joan
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly

this for the OP or me Joan?
--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Joan

Doesn't matter really, but you suggested a hard drive. I wouldn't
trust them for long term storage.

--
Joan

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: Joan wrote:
: >
: > How old is your oldest hard drive? Have you tried to use an old
20MB
: > hard drive?
: >
: > --
: > Joan
: > http://www.flickr.com/photos/joan-in-manly
:
: this for the OP or me Joan?
: --
: Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
: ------------------------------------------------------
: Stop and Look
: http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Kiwiski

luk wrote:
> I've been restoring and saving family
> photos on CD-R disks. Would a flash
> drive preserve them longer?
>
> Luk

One way or other we will always have to be changing medium every few
years - what a hassle. I'm now storing things online with a company I
trust (they have a very strong reputation, the highest possible
financial strength rating - so are not about to go bust, a policy to
never ever delete anyone's images, and a back up system as strong as
any banks). I have figured that my images are safer with them than on
any system I come up with (even if it wasn't corruptible, there is
always fire and flood!). I won't name the company publicly as I was so
taken by it I decided to join it - (it would look too much like spam).
John

Paul Heslop

Joan wrote:

> Doesn't matter really, but you suggested a hard drive. I wouldn't
> trust them for long term storage.

Personal thing I suppose. they do fail but so do discs. In fact I am
unsure what is the absolute best way to store, so a combination of
the things mentioned seems to be a good idea.

--
Paul (Neurotic to the bone No doubt about it)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Joan

A shoe box is an old favourite of mine

--
Joan

"Paul Heslop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: >

Joan wrote:

> A shoe box is an old favourite of mine

Heh, we have two boxes, both huge things, containing pics from our own
kids and their kids mainly. One thing about digital, it's compact :O)