Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > setting my camera's color right,,,,how?

Reply
Thread Tools

setting my camera's color right,,,,how?

 
 
bruin70@mail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
i got my camera. it's an fz30. i did a lot of sample checking on the
web. i noticed almost all advanced point and shoot in my price range
tended to be warm on the redder side. the only one that wasn't, and the
one stated by a website to have the most accurate manual WB was the
konica minolta. it was certainly cooler than all the others.

i want to get the color on my fz a little more accurate, but how to do
this. i have nothing to go by. even i am aware that i paint under
different lights than how my paintings will be seen in the galleries or
homes. i can do some tweaks in the camera, but that's also depending on
the light setup in my studio. in any case, all manual WB's are
different with each camera. so i figured the best way would be to tweak
my image editor so that i could run all fz30 images through the editor
to "reset" the color....and the best sample to rest my color to was the
minolta sample, seeing as how it's supposed to be the most accurate.

i have to go on the assumption that the different brands are consistant
within their own canera model. so i shall download both the KM and
panasonic sample manual wb's, alter the panasonic WB until it matches
the KM's, and save the settings . then in the future i'll run all my
images through through my editor, and whalla!

does this sound like a good simpe plan without going overboard with
additional costs?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bmoag
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
No.
What you are searching for is generally called color management.
Even if you could set the white balance of your camera or shoot in raw
(where white balance can be adjusted later) you still do not know if your
monitor is displaying colors correctly or if you can print reliably or
transmit image files knowing that they are properly color balanced.
To manage color reliably you need to invest in a monitor calibration device,
an imaging program that uses color management and, more importantly, invest
the time and effort to learn how to use them properly. I do not know if you
are interested in printing--most printer drivers have color managed options,
although some (Epson) are superior to others.
Even if you do everything right and have your images printed elsewhere the
colors in your prints can be off if you and your printing service are not
technically meshing. Alot of printing services, to be kind, stink, and you
will get more reliable and probably superior results printing your own.
Reasonable calibration devices can be had for $100 and color managed
programs (Elements, PaintshopPro) are similarly priced.
As long as your camera creates reasonably high quality jpeg images where the
color balance is not too off then color corrections are not difficult to
achieve. If you are taking pictures of paintings under controlled lighting
conditions take a picture of a white or, preferably, neutral gray object
under the same lighting conditions and you will have an excellent reference
point for color calibration. You can get a genuine gray calibration card for
a reasonable cost.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
bruin70@mail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006

bmoag wrote:
> No.

,,,,if you could set the white balance of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,you need to
invest in a monitor calibration device,
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,superior results printing your own.
> Reasonable calibration devices can be had for $100 and color managed
> programs (Elements, PaintshopPro) are similarly priced.
> As long as your camera creates reasonably high quality jpeg images where the
> color balance is not too off then color corrections are not difficult to
> achieve. If you are taking pictures of paintings under controlled lighting
> conditions take a picture of a white or, preferably, neutral gray object
> under the same lighting conditions and you will have an excellent reference
> point for color calibration. You can get a genuine gray calibration card for
> a reasonable cost.


whether my monitor is properly calibrated or not,,,since i am viewing
both a minolta jpg and a lumix jpg on the SAME monitor, and tweaking
one jpg based on another off that same monitor, would it matter? the
images are taken from imagingresource.com, and their sample photos are
tightly controlled.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Isaiah Beard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-15-2006
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> i got my camera. it's an fz30. i did a lot of sample checking on the
> web. i noticed almost all advanced point and shoot in my price range
> tended to be warm on the redder side. the only one that wasn't, and the
> one stated by a website to have the most accurate manual WB was the
> konica minolta. it was certainly cooler than all the others.
>
> i want to get the color on my fz a little more accurate, but how to do
> this. i have nothing to go by.


The FZ-30 has a white balance setting that you can use to manually
calibrate the camera. It's not a cure-all, but its a good start and
helps with the "warm" problems. When I had an fz30, mine was actually a
tad too "cool" for my taste. White balance fixed it.

Unfortunately, I forget how setting the white balance is done, but it
should be in your manual. You'll need a pure white surface (i.e. a
wall, a white balance target, or maybe a clean white sheet of paper) on
which to calibrate.

If this still doesn't solve your problem, then some post prcoessing may
need to be in order. When I absolutely, positively must get the color
right, I use one of these:

http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/home/pr...lorchecker.htm

(or http://tinyurl.com/j2vzt if your newsreader truncated the above)

Placing this card in a "test shot" with the subject, then making
subsequent shots of the same subject immediately thereafter without the
card, allows to make sure I can accurately reproduce the color in a
photo session. As long as the shooting environment and lighting
conditions the same from the test shot to the actual shots, I can be
certain that anything I do to the test shot to color correct can be
applied to production images to get accurate color representation.


> i have to go on the assumption that the different brands are consistant
> within their own canera model.


In theory, yes, but productions runs between different batches of CCDs
can somettimes differ slightly, perhaps causing slight changes in color
calibration. Never assume that the calibrations you do for one FZ-30
apply to all of them ever made.

CCDs are also sensitive to environment and *probably* also change
characteristics as they age. I would also suspect how CCDs are used can
affect their performance; a camera whose sensor has found itself pointed
directly at the sun a few times would, I imagine, be a bit more off
color balance than one who has spent its life indoors in a protected
environment.

> so i shall download both the KM and
> panasonic sample manual wb's, alter the panasonic WB until it matches
> the KM's, and save the settings . then in the future i'll run all my
> images through through my editor, and whalla!



>
> does this sound like a good simpe plan without going overboard with
> additional costs?
>




For your purposes, this might work. again, you might find some
variations in performance, but for the most part, it should be about right.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
Transpose the c's and a's in my e-mail address to reply.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing font color from current font color to black color Kamaljeet Saini Ruby 0 02-13-2009 04:58 PM
standard way of getting color # string from drawing.color? PJ6 ASP .Net 4 09-15-2005 06:10 PM
Problem with setting background color alternating item in datalist to a certain color fig000 ASP .Net Web Controls 0 09-06-2004 06:51 PM
how to convert color in style "#e6e6e6" to color object in vb.net moondaddy ASP .Net 3 04-28-2004 04:59 AM
BGR Color to Java Color Andrew Arace Java 7 09-16-2003 05:30 PM



Advertisments