Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > CAMERAS & AIRPLANE FLIGHTS

Reply
Thread Tools

CAMERAS & AIRPLANE FLIGHTS

 
 
no_name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-16-2006
cjcampbell wrote:

> irwell wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:14:55 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>
>>>"Cynicor" <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote in message
>>>news76dnSZ9sa6el3_ZnZ2dnUVZ_r2dnZ2d@speakeasy .net...
>>>
>>>>Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.
>>>
>>>Mine's not on the recall list...
>>>

>>
>>Sony batteries seem to be the culprit, maybe others
>>have the same potential for fire.
>>I seem to recall in the 1980s when lithium batteries
>>were being developed there was a fire at a research
>>lab in Palo Alto and the local fire crew were at a
>>loss on how to control it, as water apparently made
>>a lithium fire worse.

>
>
> One news report quoted a guy who said he took his flaming laptop to the
> sink and he thought he had it out, but when he took it back to the
> table the fire broke out again worse than before. If your laptop does
> catch fire, how do you put it out?
>


Bury it in the cat box.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
cjcampbell wrote:
> 88gg@link wrote:
>> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been on a
>> flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big brother"?

>
> So far they have not been banned in the US, only in the UK.
> Nevertheless, I would not count on being allowed to carry a camera.
> Neither will throwing a tantrum and calling people "big brother"
> encourage others to allow you to carry one.
>
> Besides, who needs terrorists when Dell has exploding laptops? Imagine
> one of those going off in an airplane!
>

Some have. No damage done (except to the computer) as all the users had
the good sense to disconnect from the charger when they saw smoke.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
no_name wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>
>> 88gg@link wrote:
>>
>>> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been
>>> on a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big
>>> brother"?

>>
>>
>> Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
>> removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.

>
> Saw one pretty dumb image of that though.
>
> Apparently in order to keep anyone from taking chemicals on an airplane
> that might be mixed to create a dangerous explosive liquid, they have
> everyone dump any liquids they're carrying into a single common container
>
> ... mixing everything together.
>
> I dunno, but there might be some things innocently carried that don't
> want to play well with others.
>
> How do you tell the difference between liquids that are deliberately
> chosen to mix into a chemical explosive and chemicals that cause a
> chemical explosion if inadvertently mixed?


Yes, that does make anyone with chemical knowledge a bit uncomfortable.
There are a number of 'harmless' chemicals that really don't like to
be mixed with other 'harmless' chemicals....
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
irwell wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:14:55 -0700, "Jay Beckman" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> "Cynicor" <jt__rup__i_n@speak__easy.net> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>> Good thing the Dell laptop didn't explode.

>> Mine's not on the recall list...
>>

> Sony batteries seem to be the culprit, maybe others
> have the same potential for fire.
> I seem to recall in the 1980s when lithium batteries
> were being developed there was a fire at a research
> lab in Palo Alto and the local fire crew were at a
> loss on how to control it, as water apparently made
> a lithium fire worse.


HP had a similar battery recall about a year ago. Luckily mine wasn't
included in the recall.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:27:26 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>no_name wrote:
>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>
>>> 88gg@link wrote:
>>>
>>>> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been
>>>> on a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big
>>>> brother"?
>>>
>>>
>>> Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
>>> removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.

>>
>> Saw one pretty dumb image of that though.
>>
>> Apparently in order to keep anyone from taking chemicals on an airplane
>> that might be mixed to create a dangerous explosive liquid, they have
>> everyone dump any liquids they're carrying into a single common container
>>
>> ... mixing everything together.
>>
>> I dunno, but there might be some things innocently carried that don't
>> want to play well with others.
>>
>> How do you tell the difference between liquids that are deliberately
>> chosen to mix into a chemical explosive and chemicals that cause a
>> chemical explosion if inadvertently mixed?

>
>Yes, that does make anyone with chemical knowledge a bit uncomfortable.
> There are a number of 'harmless' chemicals that really don't like to
>be mixed with other 'harmless' chemicals....


I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were being
dumped, not the containers being emptied.
--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
 
Reply With Quote
 
no_name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
Bill Funk wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:27:26 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>
>>no_name wrote:
>>
>>>Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>88gg@link wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>>Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been
>>>>>on a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big
>>>>>brother"?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
>>>>removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.
>>>
>>>Saw one pretty dumb image of that though.
>>>
>>>Apparently in order to keep anyone from taking chemicals on an airplane
>>>that might be mixed to create a dangerous explosive liquid, they have
>>>everyone dump any liquids they're carrying into a single common container
>>>
>>>... mixing everything together.
>>>
>>>I dunno, but there might be some things innocently carried that don't
>>>want to play well with others.
>>>
>>>How do you tell the difference between liquids that are deliberately
>>>chosen to mix into a chemical explosive and chemicals that cause a
>>>chemical explosion if inadvertently mixed?

>>
>>Yes, that does make anyone with chemical knowledge a bit uncomfortable.
>> There are a number of 'harmless' chemicals that really don't like to
>>be mixed with other 'harmless' chemicals....

>
>
> I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were being
> dumped, not the containers being emptied.


They were having everyone pour out any liquids in their carry-on into
one big garbage can with a plastic liner. Everyone was pouring their
liquids into the same receiving container.

I expect there was little "real" hazard, but you never know. If they DID
perchance have several persons trying to smuggle liquid explosive
components onto an airplane, TSA actually would have mixed the explosive
right there in the terminal.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-17-2006
Bill Funk wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 20:27:26 -0500, Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> no_name wrote:
>>> Ron Hunter wrote:
>>>
>>>> 88gg@link wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Are cameras allowed as "carry on" on flights within U.S.? Anyone been
>>>>> on a flight with camera, since the new draconian edict from "big
>>>>> brother"?
>>>>
>>>> Yes. Other than banning liquids and gels, and requiring shoes be
>>>> removed and xrayed, the rules have not changed.
>>> Saw one pretty dumb image of that though.
>>>
>>> Apparently in order to keep anyone from taking chemicals on an airplane
>>> that might be mixed to create a dangerous explosive liquid, they have
>>> everyone dump any liquids they're carrying into a single common container
>>>
>>> ... mixing everything together.
>>>
>>> I dunno, but there might be some things innocently carried that don't
>>> want to play well with others.
>>>
>>> How do you tell the difference between liquids that are deliberately
>>> chosen to mix into a chemical explosive and chemicals that cause a
>>> chemical explosion if inadvertently mixed?

>> Yes, that does make anyone with chemical knowledge a bit uncomfortable.
>> There are a number of 'harmless' chemicals that really don't like to
>> be mixed with other 'harmless' chemicals....

>
> I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were being
> dumped, not the containers being emptied.

Many people were shown emptying the containers into the bins. Others
were dropping glass bottles of liquids into the bins. Either could
cause dangerous mixtures.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy Berbaum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: > I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were being
: > dumped, not the containers being emptied.
: Many people were shown emptying the containers into the bins. Others
: were dropping glass bottles of liquids into the bins. Either could
: cause dangerous mixtures.

Gee, all it would take is a few innocent, harmless chemicals to cause a
deadly invisible gas that will kill everyone waiting in line. Just one
time of this and the insanity will end. We don't need terrorists, our own
people, who don't believe the news and try to bring banned liquids on the
plane, will kill us all. I can see the headlines. Hundreds dead, Thousands
injured in airport gassing. Airport officials reply, "oops".

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

 
Reply With Quote
 
no_name
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
Randy Berbaum wrote:

> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >
> : > I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were being
> : > dumped, not the containers being emptied.
> : Many people were shown emptying the containers into the bins. Others
> : were dropping glass bottles of liquids into the bins. Either could
> : cause dangerous mixtures.
>
> Gee, all it would take is a few innocent, harmless chemicals to cause a
> deadly invisible gas that will kill everyone waiting in line. Just one
> time of this and the insanity will end. We don't need terrorists, our own
> people, who don't believe the news and try to bring banned liquids on the
> plane, will kill us all. I can see the headlines. Hundreds dead, Thousands
> injured in airport gassing. Airport officials reply, "oops".


I dunno.

Stupidity has killed far more than evil intent for as long as mankind
has walked upright. I doubt there's going to be a "war on stupidity" any
time soon, especially not on OFFICIAL stupidity.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-18-2006
no_name wrote:
> Randy Berbaum wrote:
>
>> Ron Hunter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> : > : > I thought the *containers* that have the liquids in them were
>> being
>> : > dumped, not the containers being emptied.
>> : Many people were shown emptying the containers into the bins.
>> Others : were dropping glass bottles of liquids into the bins. Either
>> could : cause dangerous mixtures.
>>
>> Gee, all it would take is a few innocent, harmless chemicals to cause
>> a deadly invisible gas that will kill everyone waiting in line. Just
>> one time of this and the insanity will end. We don't need terrorists,
>> our own people, who don't believe the news and try to bring banned
>> liquids on the plane, will kill us all. I can see the headlines.
>> Hundreds dead, Thousands injured in airport gassing. Airport officials
>> reply, "oops".

>
> I dunno.
>
> Stupidity has killed far more than evil intent for as long as mankind
> has walked upright. I doubt there's going to be a "war on stupidity" any
> time soon, especially not on OFFICIAL stupidity.


Truer words were never written!
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 1 04-01-2007 07:55 PM
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 4 04-01-2007 01:12 PM
Cameras--Cameras--Cameras wagwheel Digital Photography 0 03-31-2007 11:38 AM
Cameras banned from Carlsbad Caverns during bat flights y_p_w Digital Photography 49 04-17-2006 11:36 PM
Flights in Canada Dave Day Computer Support 10 10-31-2004 03:38 AM



Advertisments