Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Battery life on the road

Battery life on the road

Marvin

bob wrote:
> There's a bit of a preamble to the question, but I'll try not to bore you to
> tears.
>
> I've done a great deal of travel to some very out-of-the-way places over the
> years, for periods of 2 weeks to 18 months. In all that time, I've used an
> SLR, and lugged around many pounds of expensive glass to go with it.
> For the past few years, I've been using digicams as well, (Nikon 5000, 8400,
> Canon 20Da) but mostly for astrophotography and as 2nd cameras when
> traveling.
> I'm planning to visit Laos, Cambodia, and Vietnam for 2 months this winter,
> and have been recently intrigued by some of the newer digitals with IS and
> high optical zoom, namely Canon and Lumix models. Running out of "film"
> doesn't worry me, as memory cards take up way less room than film.
> My concern is battery life, and the probable lack of available electricity
> for recharging. My experience is that none of my digital cameras have been
> stellar in the battery life department, and I have visions of repeatedly
> kicking myself, standing in the middle of paradise with a dead camera in my
> hand.
> What do you guys do?
>
> Thanks,

If oyur camera will accept them, take along a few sets of
nonrechargable lithium batteries. Each set will do for many
pictures.

VK

bob wrote:
> My concern is battery life, and the probable lack of available electricity
> for recharging.

Bob, unless you are going to some REALLY remote and out of the way
place, electricity will not be a problem. So I'd take an extra battery
and not worry about recharging problems.

Vandit

Philippe

VK wrote:
> bob wrote:
>
>>My concern is battery life, and the probable lack of available electricity
>>for recharging.

> Bob, unless you are going to some REALLY remote and out of the way
> place, electricity will not be a problem. So I'd take an extra battery
> and not worry about recharging problems.
>
> Vandit

Either that or bring an exercise bike-type generator.. Think of it as
exercise incentive for photography..

<BEG>
P.

Graham Fountain

VK wrote:
> bob wrote:
>> My concern is battery life, and the probable lack of available electricity
>> for recharging.

> Bob, unless you are going to some REALLY remote and out of the way
> place, electricity will not be a problem. So I'd take an extra battery
> and not worry about recharging problems.

There might be electricity in the area, but question is if you will have
access to it for long enough to charge a couple of batteries. Depending
on how you are travelling, it is quite conceivable that you won't get a
chance to recharge. The S2IS (and presumably the new S3 is the same)
with NiMH batteries will get far more shots per charge than any other
camera in the class, regardless of if they have LiIon or not, and you
have the option of Lithium disposables for even more shots on a set of
batteries. Even on standard alkalines it will deliver similar life to
most of the LiIon cameras. So if you are in the slightest bit concerned
about power available, I'd suggest the S2 for battery life.

> Vandit

Bill

Graham Fountain wrote:

>There might be electricity in the area, but question is if you will have
>access to it for long enough to charge a couple of batteries. Depending
>on how you are travelling, it is quite conceivable that you won't get a
>chance to recharge.

That's always a possibility if camping out is part of the travel.

> The S2IS (and presumably the new S3 is the same)
>with NiMH batteries will get far more shots per charge than any other
>camera in the class, regardless of if they have LiIon or not,

Just curious where you got that info?

Graham Fountain

Bill wrote:
> Graham Fountain wrote:
>
>> There might be electricity in the area, but question is if you will have
>> access to it for long enough to charge a couple of batteries. Depending
>> on how you are travelling, it is quite conceivable that you won't get a
>> chance to recharge.

> That's always a possibility if camping out is part of the travel.
>
>> The S2IS (and presumably the new S3 is the same)
>> with NiMH batteries will get far more shots per charge than any other
>> camera in the class, regardless of if they have LiIon or not,

> Just curious where you got that info?

From having used the things either myself or having close contact with
people who do. When I tried a Panasonic FZ7 I came in at under 200 shots
on a charge. A friend has a Sony H1 and reports it to be similar on a
set of AA rechargeables. In my S2IS, over a space of about 4 weeks I
took about 700 shots on a set of 2500mAH AA rechargeables (on their
first charge, which is always poor). I have now taken another 700 shots
with the batteries on their 2nd charge and no sign of a low battery
indicator. A set of no-name $2 shop Alkalines was good for 150 shots. A
set of Energiser E2 Titaniums was good for 300 shots. I haven't used E2
Lithiums in it yet, but past experience with other cameras indicates
that they usually perform similar or better compared to 2500mAH NiMH.
Ok I admit I haven't tried the S3, but I see no reason to suspect it
will be significantly different to the S2. The only cameras I've seen to
deliver better battery performance are SLR's - and they are not in the
same class as an S2.
I always use the camera with image stabilisation turned on. For the
first few weeks I had it, I had a broken arm that prevented me from
holding the camera up to my eye to use the EVF, so I was limited to the
larger rear viewfinder. By turning off IS and using the EVF instead of
the viewscreen, I'm sure battery life could be extended further.