Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D80 Hands-on Preview

Nikon D80 Hands-on Preview

deryck lant

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/

What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
the price.
Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.

Nikon have raised the bar.

In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up to
20 percent.

If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the market
with cut-price entry level DSLR's.

Deryck
.

Gisle Hannemyr

deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
>
> What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at
> half the price.

Alas, no AI metering coupling (I know DPreview claims it has one.
They are wrong (as is obvious from the images).

If it had AI metering, it would be a D200-killer, and Nikon
wouldn't want that.

> Nikon have raised the bar.

This is a very nice camera indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on
it.

I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
the D200, Nikon has got another winner

I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
Photokina.
Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

Digital Photography Now

The Sony Alpha A100 is a fine camera in many ways - I find image quality to
be very good and the integrated anti-shake is a definite bonus, though at
longer shutter speeds it does introduce a noticeable shutter lag effect.

The A100 has been cut in price ando so will the D80 soon after it arrives in
a month's time. All new models end up cheaper to buy than the manufacturer
guide prices. Nevertheless, it looks like the D80 will be nominally more
expensive than the A100 after the discounting has settled down.

For me, the biggest issues with the A100 are the lack of quiet autofocus
lenses and and the mechanically unrefined sound the camera makes when you
press the shutter release. Apart from that, it gets the thumbs up from me.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
>
> What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
> the price.
> Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
>
> Nikon have raised the bar.
>
> In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up
> 20 percent.
>
> If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the
> market
> with cut-price entry level DSLR's.
>
> Deryck
> .

Digital Photography Now

I think you either like Canon's handling or you don't - and I think it's the
same with Nikon. Personally, I like Canon's way of doing things, but I know
if you are used to Nikon you will find issue with the Canon interface. But
that doesn't mean it's 'wrong'.

Apart from that - I'm intrigued by your views on the D200 vs 30D feel. The
D200 is physically quite large (the D80 in my hands was noticebly smaller -
much more like a 30D, in fact). Is your view relating to the size and
solidity or something else.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

"Gisle Hannemyr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
>>

> I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
> handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
> like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
> the D200, Nikon has got another winner
>
> I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
> like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
> about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
> Photokina.
> --
> - gisle hannemyr [ gisle{at}hannemyr.no - http://hannemyr.com/photo/ ]
> Sigma SD10, Kodak DCS460, Canon Powershot G5, Olympus 2020Z

deryck lant

The message <cOjCg.138380$(E-Mail Removed)>
from "Digital Photography Now" <(E-Mail Removed)> contains
these words:

> The Sony Alpha A100 is a fine camera in many ways - I find image quality to
> be very good and the integrated anti-shake is a definite bonus, though at
> longer shutter speeds it does introduce a noticeable shutter lag effect.

> The A100 has been cut in price ando so will the D80 soon after it
> arrives in
> a month's time. All new models end up cheaper to buy than the manufacturer
> guide prices. Nevertheless, it looks like the D80 will be nominally more
> expensive than the A100 after the discounting has settled down.

> For me, the biggest issues with the A100 are the lack of quiet autofocus
> lenses and and the mechanically unrefined sound the camera makes when you
> press the shutter release. Apart from that, it gets the thumbs up from me.

> Ian

> Digital Photography Now
> http://dpnow.com

> "deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
> >
> > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
> > the price.
> > Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
> >
> > Nikon have raised the bar.
> >
> > In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by up
> > 20 percent.
> >
> > If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the
> > market
> > with cut-price entry level DSLR's.

Demand for the D80 willl be huge - so I'm afraid there will be no need
for discounted prices for quite some time.

Deryck

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=

Digital Photography Now wrote:

> I think you either like Canon's handling or you don't - and I think
> it's the same with Nikon. Personally, I like Canon's way of doing
> things, but I know if you are used to Nikon you will find issue with
> the Canon interface. But that doesn't mean it's 'wrong'.

If only Canon could make the Nikon lenses meter and AF with the 5D they
would have a winner.

Rita

deryck lant

The message <(E-Mail Removed)>
from Gisle Hannemyr <(E-Mail Removed)> contains these words:

> deryck lant <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
> >
> > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at
> > half the price.

> Alas, no AI metering coupling (I know DPreview claims it has one.
> They are wrong (as is obvious from the images).

You are right - Nikon only claim full compatibility with AF and DX lenses.

> If it had AI metering, it would be a D200-killer, and Nikon
> wouldn't want that.

> > Nikon have raised the bar.

> This is a very nice camera indeed. I can't wait to get my hands on
> it.

> I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
> handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
> like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
> the D200, Nikon has got another winner

> I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
> like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
> about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
> Photokina.

Nikon is an engineering led company - Canon is a marketing led company.

The Nikon system is an integrated system and you know nothing is going to be
made obsolete by future developments.

Deryck

Digital Photography Now

Don't underestimate the sheer marketing muscle of Sony. Nikon is a tiny
company by comparison and traditional photo outlets are not the mainstay of
DSLRs any more.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The message <cOjCg.138380$(E-Mail Removed)>
> from "Digital Photography Now" <(E-Mail Removed)> contains
> these words:
>
>> The Sony Alpha A100 is a fine camera in many ways - I find image quality
>> be very good and the integrated anti-shake is a definite bonus, though at
>> longer shutter speeds it does introduce a noticeable shutter lag effect.

>> The A100 has been cut in price ando so will the D80 soon after it
>> arrives in
>> a month's time. All new models end up cheaper to buy than the
>> manufacturer
>> guide prices. Nevertheless, it looks like the D80 will be nominally more
>> expensive than the A100 after the discounting has settled down.

>> For me, the biggest issues with the A100 are the lack of quiet autofocus
>> lenses and and the mechanically unrefined sound the camera makes when you
>> press the shutter release. Apart from that, it gets the thumbs up from
>> me.

>> Ian

>> Digital Photography Now
>> http://dpnow.com

>> "deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/
>> >
>> > What we have here is a fully featured smaller 3fps D200 . . . . at half
>> > the price.
>> > Production of 1,000,000 a year will not meet demand.
>> >
>> > Nikon have raised the bar.
>> >
>> > In the UK the Sony Alpha A100 after 7 days had the price discounted by
>> > up
>> > 20 percent.
>> >
>> > If Sony intend to grab DSLR market share they will have to flood the
>> > market
>> > with cut-price entry level DSLR's.

> Demand for the D80 willl be huge - so I'm afraid there will be no need
> for discounted prices for quite some time.
>
> Deryck

Digital Photography Now

"deryck lant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I recently test-drove the D200 and EOS 30D, and the difference in
>> handling is amazing. I know this is subjective, but the 30D feels
>> like a toy camera compared to the D200. If the D80 also handles like
>> the D200, Nikon has got another winner

>> I am still waiting for Canon's response to the D200. I really would
>> like something with the handling characteristics of D200, and the
>> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally
>> about to replace the Sigma, but will not buy anything until after
>> Photokina.

> Nikon is an engineering led company - Canon is a marketing led company.

Few would disagree that Nikon needs more marketing skills. I think you are
in a minority to think that Canon is short on engineering skills. USM is
still the best AF motor in the business and it's available in cheaper Canon
lenses too. Canon also makes its own CMOS sensors, Nikon only specifies its
sensors and then Sony makes them.

> The Nikon system is an integrated system and you know nothing is going to
> be
> made obsolete by future developments.

Well, that's wrong for a start because you have already recognised that AI
metering, an obsolete system, is not supported in the D80.

Sticking to old values compromises a product and the relatively small Nikon
lens mount doesn't do it any favours.

> Deryck

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com

acl

Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

> high ISO low noise and tonal range of the 30D or 5D. I am finally

Hi Gisle,

Could you please clarify what exactly you mean by "tonal range" here? I
find it hard to interpret this statement so that it makes sense.

Cheers.