Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikion D80 info here.

Nikion D80 info here.

PeteD

The camera

http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91

and a new lens

http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92

Should be a wee bit of discussion on this one!!

Pete

Bill Funk

On 8 Aug 2006 19:28:28 -0700, "PeteD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The camera
>
>http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91

Not using IE of Firefox.
There's a teaser here:
http://www.nikon-asia.com/teaser/Teaser.html
>and a new lens
>
>http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92

Where?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

ASAAR

On 8 Aug 2006 19:28:28 -0700, PeteD wrote:

> The camera
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91
>
> and a new lens
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92
>
> Should be a wee bit of discussion on this one!!

If there's anything to see. Those two pageids produce the shell
of a Nikon web page but no information. By checking the News Room
page, the article with the highest pageid is 88, which is for the
article "Capture NX Trial Version has been released (17/07/2006)"

Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
made visible to USA based computers/browsers.

frederick

ASAAR wrote:

> Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
> made visible to USA based computers/browsers.

Tokyo — Nikon Corporation is pleased to introduce the D80. Incorporating
Nikon's latest digital and photographic technologies, this new
high-performance interchangeable-lens digital SLR camera features
automated operation and advanced features designed to satisfy any
photographer with the passion to create beautiful photographs and
preserve special moments.

The D80 features a new 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image
sensor, bringing a new level of high resolution and sharp detail to the
class while also providing plenty of freedom to crop creatively and
print impressive enlargements. Nikon's DX Format sensor and Nikon F
bayonet lens mount design assure unprecedented compatibility across the
comprehensive assortment of AF Nikkor lenses and DX Nikkor lenses
designed exclusively for Nikon digital SLR cameras.

One of the key advances developed for the D80 is Nikon's own
high-resolution image processing engine. Advantages inherited from
Nikon's latest professional digital SLR cameras include color
independent analog pre-conditioning and high-precision 12-bit digital
image processing algorithms, which combine to produce natural-looking
images that benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction. A new
dedicated high-performance processing chip greatly accelerates
performance on all levels, while also achieving lower power consumption,
assuring more pictures per battery charge.

Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures accurate automatic
exposure control for ideal exposures, even in the most challenging
lighting conditions. Evaluating, rather than merely measuring or
averaging the true content of each scene, input from the system's
frame-wide 420-pixel sensor is automatically referenced against an
onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography to
calculate final exposure value. Variable center-weighted metering and
spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available, as
are exposure compensation and auto exposure bracketing. Sophisticated
exposure automation combined with options for complete user control help
to make the D80 an ideal high-performance digital SLR for passionate
photography enthusiasts.

Advanced Auto White Balance (AWB) produces natural coloration by
measuring the entire frame of each scene and matching white balance to
the light source. For those who wish greater personal control, the
flexible options include a choice of six specific manual settings,
(Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, and Shade),
as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a reference.

Ensuring consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting
conditions is the D80's refined 11-area AF system. Adopting a refined
version of Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module, this new
11-area AF system adds effective new focusing options that will instill
greater confidence in getting the desired shot. For example, while the
system is able to use each of its 11 focus areas individually, the
center sensor can also be switched to wide-frame operation for broader
coverage. New Auto-area AF mode measures all 11 focus areas,
automatically determines which of them are on the primary subject, and
activates only those areas.

Ready to shoot whenever that priceless expression or special moment
presents itself, the D80 takes only 0.18 seconds to power up. And, the
shutter's minimal release lag time of approx. 80 milliseconds delivers
instant response while shooting, as does the fast and precise focus of
the refined 11-area AF system with AF-assist illuminator. Images are
processed instantly and recorded quickly to the inserted SD memory card.
Preview images are also displayed near instantly.

Continuous shooting at a rapid 3 frames per second in bursts of up to
100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) images makes action photography a reality.

Packing high performance and high resolution into a slimmer, more
compact body, the D80 also remains true to Nikon's commitment to
intuitive operation. The size, layout and operation of all buttons and
controls are designed for maximum ease of use.

The D80 features a large and bright viewfinder with large 0.94x
magnification to ensure the clearest view possible for precise
composition. Included is a built-in diopter adjustment control knob also
makes it easier to fine-tune the view to match eyesight. The
viewfinder's integrated grid display can also be turned on to assist
composition.

A large new 2.5-inch 230,000-dot high-resolution LCD provides an
ultra-wide 170-degree viewing angle from all directions. A new dedicated
Zoom button makes it easy to preview images and assess sharpness at up
to 25 times magnification. A new RGB histogram display aids in
evaluating exposures with greater precision. Other playback options
include single frame, 4 or 9-image thumbnail display, an improved
histogram display and highlight point display.

The D80 also adds built-in Standard or Advanced Pictmotion slideshow
options, which includes style selections that control transitions and
background music. Shows can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete
with audio on a television when connected via the supplied AV cable.

A new menu interface featuring refinements to the carefully chosen color
scheme and increased font size makes navigation easier on the eye,
easier to understand and easier to use. Menus can be customized to
display only selected items using the new "My Menu" set.

Exclusive in-camera image editing features under the new Retouch menu
help ensure consistently satisfying results and greater creative freedom
without the use of a computer. D-Lighting automatically brings out
detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all while optimizing
overall exposure balance. Red-eye correction automatically detects and
compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.
Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater
efficiency. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
taken with the D80 to create a new composite image. Other options
include Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and
Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance).

Multiple Exposure is a new shooting option that creates a single image
within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures, producing an
effect automatically that resembles multiple exposure techniques used
with film.

Creative photography is as simple as rotating the mode dial with the
D80's selection of seven automated Digital Vari-Programs. Choose from
Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape, or Night
Portrait and the selected program automatically optimizes white balance,
sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue settings to best
match the shot. The D80 also offers personal control over image
optimization settings, with user-selectable menu settings for the
Normal, Softer, Vivid, More vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white
options.

The powerful built-in flash employs Nikon's highly robust i-TTL flash
control for greater precision in flash exposure evaluation that achieves
better automatic flash balance. i-TTL flash control also helps realize
built-in features such as Repeating flash function for creating
stroboscopic effects and the Modeling Flash, which allows photographers
to visually assess overall lighting and shadow conditions prior to
shooting. Full support for the Advanced Wireless Lighting System lets
the built-in flash function as a two-group remote commander that
provides direct control over wireless SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights.

The inherent advantages of the D80 combine with the empowering and
creatively inspiring components of Nikon's Total Digital Imaging System
to deliver a new level of operating ease, expanded creative
possibilities, and pure enjoyment. This of course begins with the lineup
of interchangeable high-quality AF and DX Nikkor lenses. It extends to
maximizing the potential of Nikon’s Creative Lighting System, offering
benefits such as i-TTL flash control, Advanced Wireless Lighting, highly
reliable FV Lock and Auto FP High-Speed Sync, and enabling
high-precision flash photography with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200
Speedlights.

Convenient and practical Total Imaging System add-ons include the new
MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack. Featuring an ergonomic design that
blends added stability with extended shooting potential and more
comfortable shooting in vertical format. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote
Control and MC-DC1 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera
stability when using long exposures, such as for landscape and macro
photography.

Nikon’s PictureProject software, provided with every purchase of a Nikon
D80, enables easy image importing, editing, organization and sharing.
Design templates make it easy to produce prints, tailor images to
e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce creative album
layouts.

Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon’s highly
versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed for
those who desire more creative control over post-processing and to help
photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an
innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and
visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image
processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files
to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.

The Nikon D80 beautifully combines the best of latest advances in
digital technology with ease of operation and quick and efficient camera
handling. Add to this the advantages of Nikon's Total Imaging System and
every aspiring photographer is certain to enjoy the Nikon digital SLR
experience as much as the superb pictures produced with the D80.

Note: Specifications and equipment are subject to change without any
notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.

Nikon D80 Major Features

Exceptional imaging quality

*
New 10.2 effective megapixel Nikon DX Format CCD image sensor
with the power to capture exceptional sharpness and faithful color at
3,872 x 2,592 pixels size.
*
Inherits the industry-leading advanced imaging processing engine
of Nikon professional D-SLR cameras. Color-independent pre-conditioning
prior to A/D conversion works in harmony with high-precision digital
image processing algorithms to produce natural-looking images that
benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction.
*

3D Color Matrix Metering II automatic exposure control ensures
ideal exposures in most lighting conditions. Evaluating brightness,
color, contrast, selected focus area and camera-to-subject distance, the
system references the data against an expanded onboard database created
using data from more than 30,000 actual photographic scenes to instantly
and accurately calculate the final exposure value for the shot. Variable
center-weighted metering and spot metering centered on the active focus
area are also available.
*

Refined 11-area AF system packs the same number of focus areas
available for the professional D2 series into a space-efficient system
that features fast, precise operation. Each of the 11 focus areas can be
used individually, the center sensor can be switched to wide-frame
operation for broader coverage, and new Auto-area AF mode measures all
11 focus areas, automatically determines which of them are on the
primary subject and activates only those areas.
*

ISO AUTO mode automatically adjusts sensitivity between ISO 100
to 1600 to maximize available light and achieve optimal exposure.
Sensitivity can also be set manually between ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of
1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1. Three levels of High ISO Noise
Reduction are available when shooting at high ISO settings. Long
Exposure Noise Reduction is also available when shooting at shutter
speeds of 8 seconds or slower.

Optimized and Predictable Results

*
Seven automated Digital Vari-Programs easily accessed from the
Mode Dial provide automatic operation that optimizes white balance,
sharpening, tone, color, saturation and hue for crisp and vivid results
that match the intended shot. Selections include Auto, Portrait,
Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape and Night Portrait.
*

Easily accessed image optimization options closely tailor results
to the scene at hand or the intended use of the image. Image sharpening,
tone (contrast) compensation, color mode, saturation and hue adjustment
is controlled by the user-selected choice of Normal, Softer, Vivid, More
vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white.

Immediate response and fast performance

*
Near instant power-up of 0.18 seconds lets photographers respond
to any shutter opportunities.
*

A mere 80-millisecond shutter time lag (approximate) promotes
fast handling.

Swift continuous shooting performance at 3 frames per second*
enables the shooting of up to 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) or up to
6 RAW (NEF) images.
* Average frame rate with continuous-servo AF, manual or
shutter-priority auto exposure, a shutter speed of 1/250 seconds or
faster, and remaining buffer memory.
*

Shutter speeds ranging from 1/4,000 to 30 seconds or bulb setting
provide full creative control.

In-camera image editing and effects

*
Creative in-camera effects and editing functions available under
the new Retouch menu:

D-Lighting automatically brings out detail to enhance
results and add creative flair, all while optimizing overall exposure
balance.

Red-eye correction automatically detects and compensates
for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.

Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing
or greater efficiency for specific end purposes.

Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
taken with the D80 to create a new composite image that can be saved in
RAW or JPEG format.

Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype)

Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance)
*

Multiple Exposure creates a single image within the camera from
up to 3 consecutive exposures to produce imaginative and even surreal
results.

Ergonomics for efficient handling and further versatility

*

The D80 features a slimmer, more compact body with the size,
layout and operation of all buttons and controls designed for intuitive
operation.
*

A large new 2.5-inch LCD monitor with a 170˚ viewing angle and
new dedicated zoom button assist accurate and easy assessment of
sharpness by enabling image preview at up to 25 times magnification (for
L-size images). Convenient displays include RGB information as a single
histogram display or as separate histograms for each color channel.
*

Built-in slideshow options include Advanced Pictmotion shows with
style selections that control transitions and background music, and that
can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete with audio on a
television via the supplied AV cable.
*

The carefully chosen color scheme and increased font size of the
new color-coded menu display makes navigation easier on the eye, easier
to understand and easier to use. "My Menu" lets you customize Menus to
display only the items you wish to see.
*

Bright pentaprism viewfinder with large 0.94x magnification
ensures the clearest view possible for precise composition.
*

Nikon's EN-EL3e rechargeable lithium-ion battery delivers enough
power to support the shooting of up to 2,700* images on a single charge,
can be recharged at any time and features a handy real-time fuel gauge
system display that shows remaining charge by percentage, number of
shots since last charge and overall battery status.

* Achieved under the following test conditions: Fully charged
EN-EL3e battery; temperature of 20°C/68°F; Zoom-Nikkor AF-S DX 18-135mm
f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens; continuous shooting mode: continuous-servo
autofocus; image quality set to JPEG BASIC; image size set to Medium;
shutter speed 1/250 second; shutter release pressed halfway for three
seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times with
each shot; monitor turned on for five seconds after six shots and then
turned off; cycle repeated once exposure meters turned off.

Seamless integration with Nikon's Total Imaging System

*

Unprecedented compatibility with Nikon’s lineup of AF Nikkor
lenses and digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. (When used with the D80
or any DX Format SLR, all AF and DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle
comparable to 1.5x that of 35mm [135] format.)
*

Compatibility with the Nikon Creative Lighting System allows the
D80 to work seamlessly with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200 Speedlights to
deliver the benefits of i-TTL flash control’s advanced monitor
pre-flash, accurate measurement for bounce and versatile wireless
operation. SB-800 and SB-600 Speedlights also offer a Wide-Area
AF-assist Illuminator, which aids flash photography in dim light by
projecting a pattern of red light that covers all eleven autofocus areas
of the D80’s 11-area Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module.
*

The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
shooting more comfortable.

* Compatible AA-size batteries comprise alkaline, Ni-MH, lithium
and nickel-manganese batteries.
*

PictureProject (complimentary with camera) software features an
intuitive user interface that provides fast and easy access to powerful
tools for organizing, editing and sharing images. Auto Enhance and other
creative functions are readily available via handy buttons, as are Mail,
Slideshow and CD/DVD burning functions. Pictures can be organized using
simple drag ‘n’ drop operation, and can be quickly located by name,
keyword, or date. Design templates make it easy to produce prints,
tailor images to e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce
creative album layouts.
*

Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon’s highly
versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed to
help photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring
an innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and
visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image
processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files
to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.

ASAAR

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 16:53:53 +1200, frederick wrote:

Thanks for the information. I may be upgrading to a DSLR sooner
than I expected.

> Unprecedented compatibility with Nikon’s lineup of AF Nikkor
> lenses and digital-exclusive DX Nikkor lenses. (When used with the D80
> or any DX Format SLR, all AF and DX Nikkor lenses have a picture angle
> comparable to 1.5x that of 35mm [135] format.)

I wonder if the compatability with older AIs lenses is similar to
that of the D70, or if it has the greater compatibility of the D200?
And as for the lens's picture angle, I think that the announcement
should indicate a smaller angle rather than one 1.5 times greater
than the angle when used with 35mm FF format (film) cameras.

cjcampbell

frederick wrote:
> ASAAR wrote:
> >
> > Either the D80 information has been removed, or perhaps it's not
> > made visible to USA based computers/browsers.
> >

> The D80 features a new 10.2 effective megapixel DX Format CCD image
> sensor,

Okay, a new sensor? Not the D200 sensor? But reading about the rest of
the "new" stuff it appears "new," as in "new to the D70."

> One of the key advances developed for the D80 is Nikon's own
> high-resolution image processing engine. Advantages inherited from
> Nikon's latest professional digital SLR cameras include color
> independent analog pre-conditioning and high-precision 12-bit digital
> image processing algorithms, which combine to produce natural-looking
> images that benefit from faithful color and tone reproduction. A new
> dedicated high-performance processing chip greatly accelerates
> performance on all levels, while also achieving lower power consumption,
> assuring more pictures per battery charge.

Okay, so it uses the EN-EL3e battery, as I thought. It also has the new
processing chip. This will be a very fast camera. The bit about battery
life is suspect.

> Nikon's exclusive 3D Color Matrix Metering II ensures accurate automatic
> exposure control for ideal exposures, even in the most challenging
> lighting conditions.

Indeed. This is by far the best metering system that I have ever seen.

Evaluating, rather than merely measuring or
> averaging the true content of each scene, input from the system's
> frame-wide 420-pixel sensor is automatically referenced against an
> onboard database of over 30,000 scenes from actual photography to
> calculate final exposure value. Variable center-weighted metering and
> spot metering centered on the active focus area are also available, as
> are exposure compensation and auto exposure bracketing. Sophisticated
> exposure automation combined with options for complete user control help
> to make the D80 an ideal high-performance digital SLR for passionate
> photography enthusiasts.

So, basically all the same metering options as the D200.

> Advanced Auto White Balance (AWB) produces natural coloration by
> measuring the entire frame of each scene and matching white balance to
> the light source. For those who wish greater personal control, the
> flexible options include a choice of six specific manual settings,
> (Incandescent, Fluorescent, Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, and Shade),
> as well as a preset option for using a gray or white object as a reference.

Everything but the color temperature option in the D200.

> Ensuring consistently fast and precise focus lock under varying shooting
> conditions is the D80's refined 11-area AF system. Adopting a refined
> version of Nikon's advanced Multi-CAM 1000 AF Sensor Module, this new
> 11-area AF system adds effective new focusing options that will instill
> greater confidence in getting the desired shot. For example, while the
> system is able to use each of its 11 focus areas individually, the
> center sensor can also be switched to wide-frame operation for broader
> coverage. New Auto-area AF mode measures all 11 focus areas,
> automatically determines which of them are on the primary subject, and
> activates only those areas.

This is quicker and more accurate than the 7 zone system, but it takes
some getting used to.

> Ready to shoot whenever that priceless expression or special moment
> presents itself, the D80 takes only 0.18 seconds to power up. And, the
> shutter's minimal release lag time of approx. 80 milliseconds delivers
> instant response while shooting, as does the fast and precise focus of
> the refined 11-area AF system with AF-assist illuminator. Images are
> processed instantly and recorded quickly to the inserted SD memory card.
> Preview images are also displayed near instantly.

Some people are already complaining about the SD card. I think it is
only a problem if you are trading up from a D70 or some such.

Again, faster than the D70.

> Continuous shooting at a rapid 3 frames per second in bursts of up to
> 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) images makes action photography a reality.

I predicted 4 frames per second. Boo.

> Packing high performance and high resolution into a slimmer, more
> compact body, the D80 also remains true to Nikon's commitment to
> intuitive operation. The size, layout and operation of all buttons and
> controls are designed for maximum ease of use.

Well, that explains the SD card. You can't have a small body and all
that circuitry and still have room for a CF card. The buttons are
mostly like those of the D70, with some rearrangement on the back. I
particularly like the relocated garbage can button and putting the
switch for the backlight for the top LCD on the power switch. I would
have liked the mode dial eliminated and a mode button added like the
D200.

> The D80 features a large and bright viewfinder with large 0.94x
> magnification to ensure the clearest view possible for precise
> composition. Included is a built-in diopter adjustment control knob also
> makes it easier to fine-tune the view to match eyesight. The
> viewfinder's integrated grid display can also be turned on to assist
> composition.

The diopter adjustment control knob is really nice, much better than
the slider on the D70. The D70 had a grid display. The viewfinder is
probably brighter than the D70.

> A large new 2.5-inch 230,000-dot high-resolution LCD provides an
> ultra-wide 170-degree viewing angle from all directions. A new dedicated
> Zoom button makes it easy to preview images and assess sharpness at up
> to 25 times magnification. A new RGB histogram display aids in
> evaluating exposures with greater precision. Other playback options
> include single frame, 4 or 9-image thumbnail display, an improved
> histogram display and highlight point display.

The dedicated zoom button is an improvement over the D200 even. The
display is what is available on the D200 and is a huge improvement over
the D70. Now you can see not only that there are blown highlights, but
which color is the problem.

> The D80 also adds built-in Standard or Advanced Pictmotion slideshow
> options, which includes style selections that control transitions and
> background music. Shows can be enjoyed on the 2.5-inch LCD, or complete
> with audio on a television when connected via the supplied AV cable.

Is anyone really going to do this? Oh, just my favorite thing --
watching a slide show on a 2.5 screen with background music. I wonder
what the sound quality is like? Okay, fair warning: any of you clowns
tries to force me to watch a slide show on his camera and I will throw
it in the nearest lake.

> A new menu interface featuring refinements to the carefully chosen color
> scheme and increased font size makes navigation easier on the eye,
> easier to understand and easier to use. Menus can be customized to
> display only selected items using the new "My Menu" set.

Could be handy for frequently referenced menu items such as flash mode
and white balance.

> Exclusive in-camera image editing features under the new Retouch menu
> help ensure consistently satisfying results and greater creative freedom
> without the use of a computer. D-Lighting automatically brings out
> detail to enhance results and add creative flair, all while optimizing
> overall exposure balance. Red-eye correction automatically detects and
> compensates for the annoying red-eye effect sometimes caused by flash.
> Trim can be used to produce smaller files for easy sharing or greater
> efficiency. Image Overlay merges a pair of selected RAW (NEF) files
> taken with the D80 to create a new composite image. Other options
> include Monochrome settings (Black-and-white, Sepia, Cyanotype) and
> Filter Effects (Skylight, Warm filter, Color balance).

D200 only does BW. The other monochrome settings and filter effects are
new, as are the red-eye correction. Most of these effects might only be
available for JPG pictures.

> Multiple Exposure is a new shooting option that creates a single image
> within the camera from up to 3 consecutive exposures, producing an
> effect automatically that resembles multiple exposure techniques used
> with film.

The D200 has something like this, too, but it allows ten exposures to
be combined. I have no idea why anyone would do this in-camera.

> Creative photography is as simple as rotating the mode dial with the
> D80's selection of seven automated Digital Vari-Programs. Choose from
> Auto, Portrait, Landscape, Close Up, Sports, Night Landscape, or Night
> Portrait and the selected program automatically optimizes white balance,
> sharpening, tone (contrast), color, saturation and hue settings to best
> match the shot. The D80 also offers personal control over image
> optimization settings, with user-selectable menu settings for the
> Normal, Softer, Vivid, More vivid, Portrait, Custom and Black-and-white
> options.

Although it does not seem like it is much different than the D70, it
is. The image optimization settings are considerably easier to use than
the D70 and much like the D200.

> The powerful built-in flash employs Nikon's highly robust i-TTL flash
> control for greater precision in flash exposure evaluation that achieves
> better automatic flash balance. i-TTL flash control also helps realize
> built-in features such as Repeating flash function for creating
> stroboscopic effects and the Modeling Flash, which allows photographers
> to visually assess overall lighting and shadow conditions prior to
> shooting. Full support for the Advanced Wireless Lighting System lets
> the built-in flash function as a two-group remote commander that
> provides direct control over wireless SB-800 or SB-600 Speedlights.

Well! I predicted that it would still control only one group. This is a
nice surprise. Odd that the SB-R200 Speedlights are not mentioned. The
other features are pretty much what I thought.

> The inherent advantages of the D80 combine with the empowering and
> creatively inspiring components of Nikon's Total Digital Imaging System
> to deliver a new level of operating ease, expanded creative
> possibilities, and pure enjoyment. This of course begins with the lineup
> of interchangeable high-quality AF and DX Nikkor lenses. It extends to
> maximizing the potential of Nikon's Creative Lighting System, offering
> benefits such as i-TTL flash control, Advanced Wireless Lighting, highly
> reliable FV Lock and Auto FP High-Speed Sync, and enabling
> high-precision flash photography with SB-800, SB-600 and SB-R200
> Speedlights.

Now the SB-R200 Speedlights are mentioned.

> Convenient and practical Total Imaging System add-ons include the new
> MB-D80 Multi-Power Battery Pack. Featuring an ergonomic design that
> blends added stability with extended shooting potential and more
> comfortable shooting in vertical format. The Wireless ML-L3 (IR) Remote
> Control and MC-DC1 Remote Cord options provide necessary camera
> stability when using long exposures, such as for landscape and macro
> photography.

Great! As I predicted, it uses the same cute little ML-L3 wireless
clicker that the D70 uses. I wish the D200 could use it. Instead, the
D200 has to have the very expensive ML-3 wireless controller, which is
big and it occupies the flash shoe. Granted, the ML-3 can do amazing
things, like trip when an animal or object moves between the controller
and the sensor, and the ML-3 has a bulb function, but what you get in
power and flexibility you more than lose in convenience.

> Nikon's PictureProject software, provided with every purchase of a Nikon
> D80, enables easy image importing, editing, organization and sharing.
> Design templates make it easy to produce prints, tailor images to
> e-mail, or layout several images on a page to produce creative album
> layouts.

It is incredible to me that Nikon considers the inclusion of
PictureProject something that makes the camera more valuable.

> Capture NX (available for purchase separately) is Nikon's highly
> versatile and elegantly simple new photo editing solution designed for
> those who desire more creative control over post-processing and to help
> photographers tap the full potential of NEF (RAW) images. Featuring an
> innovative user interface that provides easier access to powerful and
> visually intuitive enhancement tools, Capture NX's powerful photo image
> processing and editing tools can also be applied to JPEG and TIFF files
> to satisfy a broader range of photofinishing needs and applications.

Well, let's advertise every other product Nikon makes, too! Seriously,
though: Capture NX is a huge improvement over Capture 4.x

> ISO AUTO mode automatically adjusts sensitivity between ISO 100
> to 1600 to maximize available light and achieve optimal exposure.
> Sensitivity can also be set manually between ISO 100 to 1600 in steps of
> 1/3 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.7 and HI-1. Three levels of High ISO Noise
> Reduction are available when shooting at high ISO settings. Long
> Exposure Noise Reduction is also available when shooting at shutter
> speeds of 8 seconds or slower.

Much better noise reduction options than the D70, but not as good as
the D200. High ISO settings in this context will mean ISO 400 or above.

> Swift continuous shooting performance at 3 frames per second*
> enables the shooting of up to 100 JPEG (FINE M-size or smaller) or up to
> 6 RAW (NEF) images.

Not as fast as the D200, but still fast. Probably it will use only
compressed NEF images.

> The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
> capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
> run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
> the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
> buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
> shooting more comfortable.

The battery pack will make that guy who likes to use only AA batteries
happy.

> * Compatible AA-size batteries comprise alkaline, Ni-MH, lithium
> and nickel-manganese batteries.

Apparently no picture verification feature for law enforcement use.

cjcampbell

PeteD wrote:
> The camera
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91
>
> and a new lens
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92
>
> Should be a wee bit of discussion on this one!!

Also here:
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25412

Hmph. They want $100 more than I thought it would cost.

ASAAR

On 8 Aug 2006 23:33:38 -0700, cjcampbell wrote:

>> The optional MB-D80 battery pack adds extended shooting
>> capability in an ergonomic design that adds shooting stability. Able to
>> run on either one or two EN-EL3e batteries or six AA-size batteries*,
>> the pack also features an additional command dial and alternative
>> buttons for shutter release and AE-Lock/AF-Lock that make vertical
>> shooting more comfortable.
>>

> The battery pack will make that guy who likes to use only AA batteries
> happy.

Hmm. Could be me, but that wouldn't be accurate. I'd happily use
a single Li-Ion battery, whether the original that comes with the
camera, or one that replaces it several years later. The battery
pack would ensure that the unavailability of batteries (whether in
some remote corner of the globe today or any location at some time
decades in the future) wouldn't turn the D80 into a paperweight.
Having one would also eliminate the need to ever get one or more
EN-EL3e backup battery packs, which for my usage would present no
limitation at all, and would cut the recurring battery expense
(every 2 or 3 years) at least in half.

> Apparently no picture verification feature for law enforcement use.

That's slated for the D90. The D80 is Nikon's new Reuters "Issam
Kobeisi" Signature Model. Complete with in-camera editing features,
it allows shots that other photo journalists can only dream of . . .

David J Taylor

PeteD wrote:
> The camera
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=91
>
> and a new lens
>
> http://www.nikon.com.my/pagearticle.php?pageid=92
>
> Should be a wee bit of discussion on this one!!
>
> Pete

Also:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond80/

David

frederick

cjcampbell wrote:

> Also here:
> http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...roductNr=25412
>
> Hmph. They want $100 more than I thought it would cost.

Give it a few months...
Not a great idea IMO to impulse buy such an item until the dust settles
down a bit. On paper it looks like a very nice upgrade for D50/70 users:

D200 viewfinder
MLU Exposure delay mode
RGB Histogram
CAM-1000 11 point AF