Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Visitor

Visitor

midie

Hi,

This week my wife found this visitor in our garden:
http://www.pbase.com/midie/garden_visitor

He (?) was living in one of our fuchsia plants in the garden, and I
couldn't resist turning him into a macro subject. I didn't have access
to my tripod unfortunately, and the light was beginning to fail.

Anyway, our visitor stayed with us (in exactly the same position) for
a couple of days before meeting a sticky end - one of our cats got
him.....

I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
moth).

no_name

midie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This week my wife found this visitor in our garden:
> http://www.pbase.com/midie/garden_visitor
>
> He (?) was living in one of our fuchsia plants in the garden, and I
> couldn't resist turning him into a macro subject. I didn't have access
> to my tripod unfortunately, and the light was beginning to fail.
>
> Anyway, our visitor stayed with us (in exactly the same position) for
> a couple of days before meeting a sticky end - one of our cats got
> him.....
>
> I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
> subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
> moth).

Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
matching image.

Mike

"no_name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%2tCg.13532$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> midie wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This week my wife found this visitor in our garden:
>> http://www.pbase.com/midie/garden_visitor
>>
>> He (?) was living in one of our fuchsia plants in the garden, and I
>> couldn't resist turning him into a macro subject. I didn't have access
>> to my tripod unfortunately, and the light was beginning to fail.
>>
>> Anyway, our visitor stayed with us (in exactly the same position) for
>> a couple of days before meeting a sticky end - one of our cats got
>> him.....
>>
>> I can't help wondering whether he would have made another macro
>> subject if he'd survived to become a fully-fledged butterfly (or
>> moth).

> Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
> matching image.

Actually, I did some research and found something very similar, but I've
forgotten the name. I'm in work now but if I get a spare moment later I will
do another search.
Cheers

Mike

"no_name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%2tCg.13532$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> midie wrote:
>

> Do you have any idea what kind of caterpiller it is? I couldn't find any
> matching image.

I THINK this is the one -
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

The one in our garden seems to be a bit different, but the spot markings are
very similar as is the shade of green from one of the two possible types of
this caterpillar. I'm not entirely certain it's one of these though - I know
nothing about caterpillars (except that they look bloody scary through a
100mm macro lens!!)

Cheers