Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Qimage

Qimage

Jimmy

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d57d71$0$21318$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor camera
>> support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer
>> files.

> http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

Pete, did you even bother to read the first 3-4 paragraphs on the link you
so kindly provided? The programs primary function is printing, which is
exactly what the original poster mentioned. Qimage has limited raw support
granted as they note, but DDsoftware does say, "Let the raw processing tools
do their job to develop your raw files and let Qimage do its job in getting
you the best possible prints."

Bart van der Wolf

"Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d57d71$0$21318$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...

SNIP
>> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor
>> camera support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to
>> transfer files.

> http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

And to quote from that page:
"Use a good professional raw processing tool to process your raw files
and save them as high quality JPEG or TIFF images. You will then be
able to ensure the highest image quality and accuracy and will be able
to utilize those processed JPEG/TIFF images in other software such as
Qimage."

That's what Qimage is about, highest (output) image quality, so use a
dedicated tool for a dedicated task. Besides, if the author had to
split his attention between Raw conversion (new encrypted formats
would also need to be added) and output quality, both would suffer.

--
Bart

Bart van der Wolf

"VK" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

SNIP
> Their Pyramid interpolation yields results that are as good as
> Genuine Fractals for the amount of up-ressing I do (which,
> admittedly, is no more than 200%).

And an improved method was recently added, 'Hybrid interpolation'. It
generates even more detailed interpolations while, just like Pyramid
interpolation, maintaining the integrity of edges (without GF's
exaggeration).

'Hybrid' may be a little too detailed for stuff like portraits, but
then the other choices remain available, and for Professional users
the more expensive 'Studio Edition' has a 'Hybrid SE' interpolation
method that also reduces possible halo effects.

--
Bart

J. Clarke

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support, plenty
>>of others are better, try Irfanview.

> It has _NO_ raw support: it's an image printing program. A superb image
> printing program.

Actually it does have some for older cameras.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

J. Clarke

Pete D wrote:

> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eb3cil$eqf$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>I wouldn't bother, has limited RAW support and poor camera support,
>>>plenty of others are better, try Irfanview.

>> It has _NO_ raw support: it's an image printing program. A superb image
>> printing program.

>> It's designed to get your images onto paper in the best possible way.
>> Works great.
>>
>> David J. Littleboy
>> Tokyo, Japan
>>

> http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

Which, boiled down to the bare essentials, says "we supported RAW back when
you couldn't get a decent RAW converter for under 500 bucks and while we
haven't removed that code we won't continue developing it and don't expect
it to work with any current production cameras and it wasn't all that good
to begin with, so you really should be using something else for that
purpose".

Why are you having such a problem with this? The producers of Qimage don't
seem to _want_ people to try to use it as a RAW converter so why do you?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Celcius

"Jimmy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Pete D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d57d71$0$21318$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>
> >> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor

camera
> >> support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer
> >> files.

> > http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/raw.htm

> Pete, did you even bother to read the first 3-4 paragraphs on the link you
> so kindly provided? The programs primary function is printing, which is
> exactly what the original poster mentioned. Qimage has limited raw

support
> granted as they note, but DDsoftware does say, "Let the raw processing

tools
> do their job to develop your raw files and let Qimage do its job in

getting
> you the best possible prints."

Very right you are, Jimmy!
Qimage = Cue image = a printing facility which allows you to cue all images
for subsequent printing.
If you want to print three "4 x 6" on one page "8 x 11" or two "5 x 7" on
one page, this is the program to do it.
Personally I use Qimage as well as Indesign CS2 which can do the same.
However, Qimage comes more cheaply.
Not mentioned above is the fact that Qimage has a very good printing engine.
Take care,
Marcel

VK

Bart van der Wolf wrote:
> And an improved method was recently added, 'Hybrid interpolation'. It
> generates even more detailed interpolations while, just like Pyramid
> interpolation, maintaining the integrity of edges (without GF's
> exaggeration).

Thanks for the heads-up, Bart - I just upgraded my QImage and got the
Hybrid interpolation.
Will give it a test run soon.

Regards,
Vandit

Hebee Jeebes

No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:20060805191150.705$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have any experience with Qimage, a product specifically for
>> image printing. It is available at http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage/
>>

> Yup, love it - only program I use to print whether at home or using it to
> prep files for printing elsewhere.
>
> Don't understand the comment about 'limited raw support' and 'poor camera
> support'. It's not a raw converter. Use a card reader to transfer files.
> It does one thing extremely well, no need to make the program do anything
> else.
>
> Mark

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:43:29 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Hebee Jeebes"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
>If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
>chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

This makes absolutely no sense at all. Who shoots raw and makes no
adjustments?
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

John Bean

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:43:44 -0400, "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:43:29 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Hebee Jeebes"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>No it isn't a RAW converter but it should be able to load them for printing.
>>If they want photographers to use it they need this. They just took the
>>chicken way out and expect you to convert everything to bitmap first.

>This makes absolutely no sense at all. Who shoots raw and makes no
>adjustments?

You're not wrong Ed. In another place I had an equally
senseless discussion with somebody complaining that Sikypix
(a raw converter) was useless because it doesn't allow the
use of custom printer profiles...

--
John Bean