Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What freeware creates thumbnail photo html gallery WITH LINKS

What freeware creates thumbnail photo html gallery WITH LINKS

barb

What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with easily
clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?

This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic tasks:
- Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
- Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger originals

Here's what failed!

IRFANVIEW:
Googling, I find some advocated Irfanview. But, while Irfanview is a great
fast photo viewer and while Irfanview easily creates thumbnails, I couldn't
figure out how to force Irfanview to output a simple index.html of those
thumbnails which points to the larger originals. http://www.irfanview.com

JALBUM:
Some suggested JAlbum in older threads, but that also failed me (YMMV).
Apparently JAlbum requires Sun Java on WinXP. Unfortunately, the entire
hellish Sun Java installation killed my system (the whole thing was a royal
mess); so I had to delete the whole assemblage (wasting hours in that
process). Obviously JAlbum isn't a recommended (by me anyway) alternative
solution ever again. http://jalbum.net

YoPoW:
Newer googled threads suggested "Your Photos on the Web" as the best
Windows photograph JPG web index.html generator. YoPoW has a nice & simple
wizard so I had a local web page in minutes and, best of all, YoPoW gave
you the third option of having a third set of photos linked to the
thumbnails.
a) Your huge originals
b) Your 100 pixel thumbnails (settable to any desired size)
c) And, an additional 800 pixel medium size
I liked YoPoW, but, oh my gosh, was the index.html it created miserably
difficult to navigate. It drove me crazy that the user interface of YoPoW
was so absolutely easy to use but the resulting web page was torture for
the user to navigate. http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/yopow/yopow.htm

Given that this simple failed quest has now consumed a half day, I'd like
to ask the following two questions of experts smarter than I am.

QUESTION 1:
Can Irfanview create HTML linking thumbnails to originals? If so, how?

QUESTION 2:
If not, what Windows freeware program does these three simple tasks:
0. Given a directory of large originals ...
1. It generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).

Thank you in advance for your advice,
barb

Ivan V. Klattrup

barb wrote:

>QUESTION 2:
>If not, what Windows freeware program does these three simple tasks:
>0. Given a directory of large originals ...
>1. It generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
>2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
>3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).

Well, I'm not sure if it's good enough, but i use iwebalbum to create my
gallery, I'm not sure because it only have 15 images on the main index.html

iwebalbum http://www.eunq.com/index.html

my gallery (my cat) http://klattrup.dk/sussi/index.html

--
Ivan V. Klattrup
http://www.klattrup.dk

ebro

http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/porta/

--
Only those who know the secret can read a stream of bytes ....

Eric

KatWoman

"barb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sm8ltmw2pnuh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with easily
> clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?
>
> This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic tasks:
> - Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
> - Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger originals
>
> Here's what failed!
>
> IRFANVIEW:
> Googling, I find some advocated Irfanview. But, while Irfanview is a great
> fast photo viewer and while Irfanview easily creates thumbnails, I
> couldn't
> figure out how to force Irfanview to output a simple index.html of those
> thumbnails which points to the larger originals. http://www.irfanview.com
>
> JALBUM:
> Some suggested JAlbum in older threads, but that also failed me (YMMV).
> Apparently JAlbum requires Sun Java on WinXP. Unfortunately, the entire
> hellish Sun Java installation killed my system (the whole thing was a
> royal
> mess); so I had to delete the whole assemblage (wasting hours in that
> process). Obviously JAlbum isn't a recommended (by me anyway) alternative
> solution ever again. http://jalbum.net
>
> YoPoW:
> Newer googled threads suggested "Your Photos on the Web" as the best
> Windows photograph JPG web index.html generator. YoPoW has a nice & simple
> wizard so I had a local web page in minutes and, best of all, YoPoW gave
> you the third option of having a third set of photos linked to the
> thumbnails.
> a) Your huge originals
> b) Your 100 pixel thumbnails (settable to any desired size)
> c) And, an additional 800 pixel medium size
> I liked YoPoW, but, oh my gosh, was the index.html it created miserably
> difficult to navigate. It drove me crazy that the user interface of YoPoW
> was so absolutely easy to use but the resulting web page was torture for
> the user to navigate. http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/yopow/yopow.htm
>
> Given that this simple failed quest has now consumed a half day, I'd like
> to ask the following two questions of experts smarter than I am.
>
> QUESTION 1:
> Can Irfanview create HTML linking thumbnails to originals? If so, how?
>
> QUESTION 2:
> If not, what Windows freeware program does these three simple tasks:
> 0. Given a directory of large originals ...
> 1. It generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
> 2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
> 3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice,
> barb

from MS it's not free:
FRONTPAGE
slideshow
(all FP NG's diss this a lot and recommend JALBUM)
I used it one webpage and it looks fine on IE some say it won't on other
browsers

do you have PHOTOSHOP??
automate web album

free:
hand code in HTML using notepad or word
there are like a million free scripts to d/l out there to show photos

Java is very simple to install, not sure your problem there
most slideshows need this to work

when you say LOCAL
if you are in XP and just want to show images as slideshow??

it is under the VIEW>customize folder options
make sure to choose type of folder there are two picture types, the one I
think you mean is Photo Album
it will show a selected image large at top within the folder and the rest
are thumbs
Is that what you need??
picture view
> thumbnails

double click it will preview in WIn Picture fax viewer unless you installed
something that stole the file association for preview

Dennis Pogson

KatWoman wrote:
> [...]

> automate web album
>
> free:
> hand code in HTML using notepad or word
> there are like a million free scripts to d/l out there to show photos
>
> Java is very simple to install, not sure your problem there
> most slideshows need this to work
>

> when you say LOCAL
> if you are in XP and just want to show images as slideshow??
>
> it is under the VIEW>customize folder options
> make sure to choose type of folder there are two picture types, the
> one I think you mean is Photo Album
> it will show a selected image large at top within the folder and the
> rest are thumbs
> Is that what you need??
> picture view
>> thumbnails

> double click it will preview in WIn Picture fax viewer unless you
> installed something that stole the file association for preview

What the guy means is that if you say exactly what you want to do, we may be
able to help you.

dadiOH

barb wrote:
> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with
> easily clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?
>
> This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic
> tasks:
> - Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
> - Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger
> originals
>
> Here's what failed!
>
> IRFANVIEW:
> Googling, I find some advocated Irfanview. But, while Irfanview is
> a great fast photo viewer and while Irfanview easily creates
> thumbnails, I couldn't figure out how to force Irfanview to output
> a simple index.html of those thumbnails which points to the larger
> originals.

Thumbnail window
Select thumbnails
File
Save selected thumbs as HTML file
Link images to original files on local disc

That will get you an HTML file that displays the thumbs which link to
the original files wherever they are. Naturally, it also saves the
thumbs wherever you tell it to put the html file...has to in order for
the HTML file to show the thumbs.

Basic info in the <GASP> Irfanview help file. Look under "HTMLexport"
or "thumbnails" in the index.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

dadiOH wrote:
> barb wrote:
>> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with
>> easily clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?
>>
>> This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic
>> tasks:
>> - Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
>> - Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger
>> originals
>>
>> Here's what failed!

BTW, JAlbum doesn't need WinXP. Does need Java, don't know what your
problem was there, Sun's is a simple install.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Monkee

"barb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:sm8ltmw2pnuh$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What WinXP freeware do you use to create local HTML galleries (with easily
> clickable web links to the larger local photographs)?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

MS XP Powertoys, HTML slideshow wizard

Carputers

barb wrote:

> QUESTION 2:
> If not, what Windows freeware program does these three simple tasks:
> 0. Given a directory of large originals ...
> 1. It generates a directory of local thumbnails ...
> 2. And then creates a reasonably easy to navigate local index.html ...
> 3. Which points to the larger originals (or a medium sized copy).
>
> Thank you in advance for your advice,
> barb

xnview: http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/enfeatures.html

Paul

:
: This Windows photo-gallery freeware needs to do only two basic tasks:
: - Given a directory of large originals - create smaller thumbnails
: - Create a local index.html linking the thumbnails to the larger originals
:
: Here's what failed!
:
: IRFANVIEW:
: Googling, I find some advocated Irfanview. But, while Irfanview is a great
: fast photo viewer and while Irfanview easily creates thumbnails, I
couldn't
: figure out how to force Irfanview to output a simple index.html of those
: thumbnails which points to the larger originals. http://www.irfanview.com
:

Irfanview will sure enough do this. Here's an example:

http://paulmueller.home.mindspring.c...eb3/index.html

Paul