Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Compaq Presario Not Recongnized Memory Cards in Memory Card Reader

Compaq Presario Not Recongnized Memory Cards in Memory Card Reader

paultimmermann@gmail.com

Hello, thanks for reading my topic, and hopefully helping me fix this
little problem. But, I have a compaq presario with a 9-in1 memory card
reader. Before removing my memory card from the drive recently, I right
click in a lower right part of screen where you "unplug" usb devices.
Apparently you are not supped to do this. And now that have unplugged
or I guess turned of the memory card reader. Simply inserting a card
into it will not turn it back on. So I'm up for any suggestions on how
to turn this back on. Thanks, Paul.

bmoag

Rebooting should solve the problem.
If not, go into control panel/system/hardware/device manager and reactivate
the device.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, thanks for reading my topic, and hopefully helping me fix this
> little problem. But, I have a compaq presario with a 9-in1 memory card
> reader. Before removing my memory card from the drive recently, I right
> click in a lower right part of screen where you "unplug" usb devices.
> Apparently you are not supped to do this. And now that have unplugged
> or I guess turned of the memory card reader. Simply inserting a card
> into it will not turn it back on. So I'm up for any suggestions on how
> to turn this back on. Thanks, Paul.

Roy G

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello, thanks for reading my topic, and hopefully helping me fix this
> little problem. But, I have a compaq presario with a 9-in1 memory card
> reader. Before removing my memory card from the drive recently, I right
> click in a lower right part of screen where you "unplug" usb devices.
> Apparently you are not supped to do this. And now that have unplugged
> or I guess turned of the memory card reader. Simply inserting a card
> into it will not turn it back on. So I'm up for any suggestions on how
> to turn this back on. Thanks, Paul.

Hi.

Another poor soul with a nice fast computer and a built in dead slow Card
Reader.

What you are supposed to do is Right Click on the drive with the card and
select "Eject", but that does nothing for my Presario Reader, the light does
not go out or anything.

Perhaps this is another thing that these USB1 Readers are too out-dated to
do. It does work perfectly well on my SanDiscUSB 2 Reader, which is plugged
into the port on the Presario Card Reader Fascia.

It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

I would post it back to them, but I suspect they won't refund on it because
they probably got them for free.

Roy G

Newsgroup User

Roy G wrote:

> What you are supposed to do is Right Click on the drive with the card and
> select "Eject", but that does nothing for my Presario Reader, the light does
> not go out or anything.

Eject never really does anything on Windows. You're supposed to click
in the tray and "safely remove" it.

> It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
> Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
to copy that from Apple.

ASAAR

On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:34:32 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:

>> It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
>> Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

> Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
> have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
> to copy that from Apple.

For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
glance whether the drive was empty or not.

BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
hardware or driver differences I can't say.

Roy G

"ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 06 Aug 2006 22:34:32 -0400, Newsgroup User wrote:
>
>>> It is a bit of a pain having 8 "Removable Disc" drives showing up in "My
>>> Computer". (I must disconnect the H.P. piece of crap).

>> Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
>> have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
>> to copy that from Apple.

> For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
> USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
> into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
> removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
> also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
> would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
> used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
> glance whether the drive was empty or not.
>
> BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
> does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
> three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
> Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
> hardware or driver differences I can't say.

Hi.

There are 8 drives showing because there are 4 Snail Paced Built in and
there is also my USB2 reader Plugged in.

I am still waiting on anything other than the standard useless reply from HP
about my complaint regarding the Built In USB1 Reader, being not a lot of
use to a photographer. If they don't get their finger out soon, I will begin
to get more than a little annoyed.

As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

Different from PCs - Yes

Better than PCs - No

Just a different way of becoming a Pain-in-the-arse.

Roy G

ASAAR

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:26:22 GMT, Roy G wrote:

> As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
> putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
> bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
> Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

Which obviously led to the development of RW drives. I
vaguely recall reading about a problem with early Macs where floppy
disks couldn't be ejected under some circumstances, possibly related
to too much being written to the Mac's hard drive. If I recall
correctly, the floppy could be ejected only after deleting one or
more files from the hard drive.

Ron Hunter

Roy G wrote:
> "ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> Yet another reason I hate Windows. On my Mac, you just see what you
>>> have a card in. Much better and more intuitive. Guess Microsoft forgot
>>> to copy that from Apple.

>> For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
>> USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
>> into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
>> removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
>> also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive
>> would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
>> used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
>> glance whether the drive was empty or not.
>>
>> BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
>> does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
>> three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
>> Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
>> hardware or driver differences I can't say.
>>

> Hi.
>
> There are 8 drives showing because there are 4 Snail Paced Built in and
> there is also my USB2 reader Plugged in.
>
> I am still waiting on anything other than the standard useless reply from HP
> about my complaint regarding the Built In USB1 Reader, being not a lot of
> use to a photographer. If they don't get their finger out soon, I will begin
> to get more than a little annoyed.

I have already forwarded my opinion of including such a crippled
'feature' in a top of the line system. Not that they will give a hoot.
So, the next time I go to buy a new system, I will remember to check
for such things, and/or not buy HP. Perhaps when they get enough such
messages, they will reconsider dumping their old hardware into the
higher price systems.
In my case, this is no big deal as I rarely use the memory card reader
in the first place (which is why I never noticed the slow speed), but
rather the one in my printer.

> As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
> putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
> bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
> Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.
>
> Different from PCs - Yes
>
> Better than PCs - No
>
> Just a different way of becoming a Pain-in-the-arse.
>
> Roy G

Ron Hunter

ASAAR wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 16:26:22 GMT, Roy G wrote:
>
>> As for Macs, and their so called intuitive systems. I can always remember
>> putting a blank disc into the CD reader, and nearly having to dismantle the
>> bloody thing to get it out again. Blank Disc = No Disc = No CD reader
>> Showing on Desktop. So no way to drag it to Trash to Eject.

> Which obviously led to the development of RW drives. I
> vaguely recall reading about a problem with early Macs where floppy
> disks couldn't be ejected under some circumstances, possibly related
> to too much being written to the Mac's hard drive. If I recall
> correctly, the floppy could be ejected only after deleting one or
> more files from the hard drive.

All the Mac users I knew kept a paperclip handy near their Macs to eject
balky diskettes.

Newsgroup User

ASAAR wrote:

> For once I prefer Microsoft's method. If I plug a reader into the
> USB, I want to see the drive appear even if a card isn't plugged
> into it. Card readers are considered to be disk drives that use
> removable media, just as floppy, CD and DVD drives do. Does the Mac
> also hide empty CD and DVD drives? Much better and more intuitive

Why would you want to see it? You can look in the System profiler
(similar to devices on Windows) and see it connected if you must know if
it's recognized. It should not get in the way if you can't use it
(which you can't without a card inserted).

And, yes, the Mac also hides CD drives too (so does Linux) - why would I
care if I had a CD drive if I can't use it?

> would be if it didn't, but had their icons "grayed out" or if it
> used some other form of highlighting to allow one to know at a
> glance whether the drive was empty or not.

That would be useful. Sadly after 20 years, MS Still can't get it right.

> BTW, my HP computer accepts up to 8 or 9 different card types, and
> does NOT have 8 removable drives showing up in My Computer. Only
> three, or four, max. show up. Maybe that's a difference between
> Roy's H.P. Presario and my H.P. Pavilion. Whether it's due to
> hardware or driver differences I can't say.

I've had different readers show up like that as well - could be a
difference in the drivers.