Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 200, 300 or 400mm zoom or telephoto for Canon 350D - cheap hire?

200, 300 or 400mm zoom or telephoto for Canon 350D - cheap hire?

Winny

Hello all,

I have recently bought a 350D with 17 - 85 IS lens. I also ordered the
70 - 700 IS lens but it won't come for another 2 to 4 weeks.
Unfortunately I need the lens before then, so I am looking to hire or
borrow a similar lens, whther IS or not, for 2.5 weeks.

My local shops in Manchester, UK, only have the L series lenses and it
would cost me at least 200 to hire one, and I have not found anywhere
which rents out non-L cheaper lenses.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks very much.

--Winny

Winny

Sorry, I meant I am waiting for the arrival of the 70 - 300mm lens, not
30 - 700!

--Winny

Eatmorepies

"Winny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
Hello all,

I have recently bought a 350D with 17 - 85 IS lens. I also ordered the
70 - 700 IS lens but it won't come for another 2 to 4 weeks.
Unfortunately I need the lens before then, so I am looking to hire or
borrow a similar lens, whther IS or not, for 2.5 weeks.

My local shops in Manchester, UK, only have the L series lenses and it
would cost me at least 200 to hire one, and I have not found anywhere
which rents out non-L cheaper lenses.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cancel the 70-300mm and buy a 70 - 200mm f4L. If you need it now pay 480 or
so in Jessops. Otherwise go to 123fStop on eBay and get it for much less.

If you really have to have 300mm then buy a 1.4x converter (L again).

John

Winny

Thanks for the advice John. Still not sure which way to go, but I have
narrowed it down to either following your suggestion or just buying the
Sigma 70 - 300 APO Macro with a view to selling it on soon after and
then getting the Canon 70 - 300 IS. I'm a decent holiday snapper rather
than a serious hobbiest, and I think the 70-300 IS is really the lens
for me.

Cheers,

--Winny

Eatmorepies wrote:
> "Winny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I have recently bought a 350D with 17 - 85 IS lens. I also ordered the
> 70 - 700 IS lens but it won't come for another 2 to 4 weeks.
> Unfortunately I need the lens before then, so I am looking to hire or
> borrow a similar lens, whther IS or not, for 2.5 weeks.
>
> My local shops in Manchester, UK, only have the L series lenses and it
> would cost me at least 200 to hire one, and I have not found anywhere
> which rents out non-L cheaper lenses.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Cancel the 70-300mm and buy a 70 - 200mm f4L. If you need it now pay 480 or
> so in Jessops. Otherwise go to 123fStop on eBay and get it for much less.
>
> If you really have to have 300mm then buy a 1.4x converter (L again).
>
> John

Nick Fotis

I vote for the Canon 70-200/4L myself.
This lens will be MUCH more satisfying for you in the long run, and if you
need the extra reach, the 1.4x Canon teleconverter will make it a 105-280
lens.
The money you "save" from the Sigma will be spent when you decide to repair
because the barrel will decide to get loose or something like that, after
2-3 years of use (I was owner of the previous Sigma version, 70-300 APO
Macro Super, and the difference with "L" glass is incredible!).

The build quality of the Canon is excellent, and it will stay with you for a
LONG time, even if you decide to change your camera body for a better one
(heck, a friend shoot with the 1Ds and the 70-200/4 and he's satisfied with
the image and build quality, plus the weight isn't bad).

If you want 400mm, look at the Canon 400mm/5.6L, which is a very capable
lens as well.

N.F.
(owner of the 70-200/2.8L IS, so I know what can "L" glass do )

Paul J Gans

Nick Fotis <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I vote for the Canon 70-200/4L myself.
>This lens will be MUCH more satisfying for you in the long run, and if you
>need the extra reach, the 1.4x Canon teleconverter will make it a 105-280
>lens.
>The money you "save" from the Sigma will be spent when you decide to repair
>because the barrel will decide to get loose or something like that, after
>2-3 years of use (I was owner of the previous Sigma version, 70-300 APO
>Macro Super, and the difference with "L" glass is incredible!).

>The build quality of the Canon is excellent, and it will stay with you for a
>LONG time, even if you decide to change your camera body for a better one
>(heck, a friend shoot with the 1Ds and the 70-200/4 and he's satisfied with
>the image and build quality, plus the weight isn't bad).

>If you want 400mm, look at the Canon 400mm/5.6L, which is a very capable
>lens as well.

>N.F.
>(owner of the 70-200/2.8L IS, so I know what can "L" glass do )

I'll second that. I got my 70-200/2.8L IS this summer and
I *love* what it can do. I've done birds and the like by
putting the lens at 70mm and when I spot my target and am
tracking it, I go to 200mm and shoot. Took me a bit of
practice but it seems to work well.

---- Paul J. Gans