Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WIreless Networking after SP2....

WIreless Networking after SP2....

Mike Ball

There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These aren't
just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various problems
involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible problems
with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they uninstalled SP2
and restored the network connection.

Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of getting
a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as ever.

Mike

Pavel A.

These people rarely mention whether they used WZC (now called simply "wireless configuration service" - no more "zero
configuration or a 3rd party, or a manufacturer's utility.
These utilities in their turn may use other externally developed components.
All this stuff can become broken by SP2, but MS hardly can be blamed.
It was responsibility of developers of these utilities to test on SP2 during it's beta period,
and responsibility of users to get in touch with their drivers/software vendors for updates.
Only if your WLAN was configured with WZC before SP2, and stopped working after,
(and this is not related to the new SP2 firewall) you have a real SP2 issue.

Regards,
--PA

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These aren't
> just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various problems
> involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible problems
> with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they uninstalled SP2
> and restored the network connection.
>
> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of getting
> a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as ever.
>
> Mike

Tony Marston

My wifi network, with uses 128bit WEP encryption, has no problems with XP
SP2. I did have a problem with a 3Com pc card in my notebook, but wouldn't
work under SP1 either. I changed it for one from US Robotics and now
everything is fine.

--
Tony Marston

http://www.tonymarston.net

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
> problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
> uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>
> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
> ever.
>
> Mike

Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
> problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
> uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>
> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
> ever.

Running wireless here with SP2 and no problems. I have a mix of wireless
cards (Intel, Netgear, Linksys) all connected to a Netgear WG602 AP. I've
used both the NIC vendors management tools to configure WEP, etc. and
Windows native tools both of which work fine. My only disappointment with
MS's new stuff is it still doesn't support Pass Phrases to create WEP keys.
Instead it seems that MS has gone back to the Floppy/USB Key disk method of
assisting setup and in many cases that just impractical.

--

Rob

Jack

Hi.
In WinXP and XPSP1 there is a Windows Zero Configuration (WZC).

In WinXP SP2 the name changed to: wireless configuration service (WCS).

Microsoft provides it as added service to Windows Network system.

Microsoft can not force the manufacturer of the Wireless Hardware to conform
to this add-on.

Some manufacturer do not care whether it is conforming to WCS, some might
deliberately make it not conforming (this is especially so with the Entry
Level Wireless Brands).

I would suggest to use first the manufacturer drivers, and utility. If it
does not work with the manufacturer driver and utility take it with the
Brand's Support Tech.

Once it is working with the above, and want to try for easier configuration
you might try WCS YMMV.

P.S. If you wonder why then the whole WCZ/WCS thingie is necessary.

Well, I bought recently 22 wirelesses PCMCIA for my company. Before
actually buying them I made sure that they do work correctly with WCZ/WCS.
Its sure make life easy that every one can use the cards in his Laptop with
no need to deal with additional software.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> > problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
> > aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
> > problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all,

possible
> > problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
> > uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
> >
> > Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> > changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
> > getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
> > ever.
> >

> Running wireless here with SP2 and no problems. I have a mix of wireless
> cards (Intel, Netgear, Linksys) all connected to a Netgear WG602 AP. I've
> used both the NIC vendors management tools to configure WEP, etc. and
> Windows native tools both of which work fine. My only disappointment with
> MS's new stuff is it still doesn't support Pass Phrases to create WEP

keys.
> Instead it seems that MS has gone back to the Floppy/USB Key disk method

of
> assisting setup and in many cases that just impractical.
>
> --
>
> Rob

Christian

I put SP2 on 8 computers running on a wireless router and I did not have any
problems. I used Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration software to set up
all the computers and I used a fixed 192.168.1.xxx address for each computer
(DHCP turned off) and of course left SSID broadcasting on. I also used the
SP2 firewall, the router has a SPI firewall in it. My internet provider
also uses a firewall on its server, I am over protected.

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
> problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
> uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>
> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
> ever.
>
> Mike

Mike Ball

What wireless router and adapters do you have Christian?

Mike

"Christian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I put SP2 on 8 computers running on a wireless router and I did not have
>any problems. I used Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration software to
>set up all the computers and I used a fixed 192.168.1.xxx address for each
>computer (DHCP turned off) and of course left SSID broadcasting on. I also
>used the SP2 firewall, the router has a SPI firewall in it. My internet
>provider also uses a firewall on its server, I am over protected.
>
> "Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
>> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
>> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
>> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
>> problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
>> uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>>
>> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
>> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
>> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
>> ever.
>>
>> Mike

Quaoar

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all,
> possible problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how
> they uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>
> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
> ever.
>
> Mike

Wireless is far more robust in SP2 than it was in SP1. Competing
networks don't interfere, disconnections are nonexistent, booting is
faster since wireless connects much faster at boot. I think it is a
much needed improvement.

Mike Ball

Think the manufacturers of the wireless kit may need to catch the SP2
philosophy a little then. I still cant get my Netgear WG121 to even see my
wireless router using the built in Windows XP service - only works with the
Netgear utility. Ah well.

Mike

"Quaoar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23Sk$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4130f643$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There seem to be quite a lot of people reporting wireless networking
>> problems after installing SP2 across various forums and boards. These
>> aren't just the 'cant get IP address type of issue', but also various
>> problems involving inability to see the wireless network at all, possible
>> problems with WEP keys, etc. Several people have related how they
>> uninstalled SP2 and restored the network connection.
>>
>> Is anyone else getting this impression? I had hoped that the wireless
>> changes in SP2 would help clarify the sometimes fraught business of
>> getting a wireless connection working, but it looks as problematic as
>> ever.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Wireless is far more robust in SP2 than it was in SP1. Competing networks
> don't interfere, disconnections are nonexistent, booting is faster since
> wireless connects much faster at boot. I think it is a much needed
> improvement.

Falcon

"Mike Ball" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41379466$0$20253$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Think the manufacturers of the wireless kit may need to catch the SP2
> philosophy a little then. I still cant get my Netgear WG121 to even see my
> wireless router using the built in Windows XP service - only works with
> the Netgear utility. Ah well.

Funnily enough, I experienced the exact opposite. Nothing using the netgear
utilities (for the MA111), but SP2 found the router and connected straight
away. I can't explain it. Funny old world...

--
Falcon:
fide, sed cui vide. (L)