Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Panasonic FZ7 Battery Life

Panasonic FZ7 Battery Life

BRH

I looked all thru the manual, but can't find a definitive answer to this
question.....

For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
the battery before it completely runs down?

Any info about this would be appreciated.

Andy Hewitt

BRH <BRH> wrote:

> I looked all thru the manual, but can't find a definitive answer to this
> question.....
>
> For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
> life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
> the battery before it completely runs down?
>
> Any info about this would be appreciated.

I have one of these. It uses a Li-Ion battery, which does not have any
problems with 'memory effect', it won't make any difference if you run
it flat or top up charge it. If you do top up charge it *might* be
beneficial to let it run flat every few months or so.

As far as life goes, I've taken a few hundred pictures on mine, and only
had to recharge a couple of times. The manual says you should get about
300 shots per charge, but in reality it will be less if you use zoom or
flash a lot. I tend to use zoom quite a bit, and I get just over 200
shots per charge.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://www.thehewitts.eclipse.co.uk/>

ASAAR

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:36:59 -0400, BRH wrote:

> For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
> life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
> the battery before it completely runs down?

No, it shouldn't make any difference. There may be good reasons
for putting the battery back in the charger before it runs down, but
that's for an entirely different reason, and depends in part on how
many batteries you have at any one time, whether you prefer being
able to get a greater number of shots per battery (over its
lifetime) instead of convenience, or whether you have a real need
for multiple batteries.

Hans-Georg Michna

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:36:59 -0400, BRH wrote:

>For the proprietary battery for the Panasonci FZ7: In terms of battery
>life and battery charge, does it make a difference whether you charge
>the battery before it completely runs down?

Shouldn't make much of a difference, but generally these
batteries like to be charged, rather than discharged. Best
treatment is probably to charge them after each use.

A sure way to kill the battery is to run it down as far as
possible, until the camera switches off, then let it sit for
many days without charging it. These batteries don't like deep
discharges at all. Normally their own electronics prevent that,
but without a charger their self-discharge will slowly produce a
deep discharge, destroying the battery.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.