Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > name of snazzy digicam choosing web site?

name of snazzy digicam choosing web site?

Andy

A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
to choose a digital camera.

The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
page generated a shortlist of cameras.

Ed Ruf

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:49:00 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Andy
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
>to choose a digital camera.
>
>The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
>page generated a shortlist of cameras.

http://www.dpreview.com
http://EdwardGRuf.com

Stan Beck

Also:

www.dcreview.com
www.steves-digicams.com

--
Stan Beck > From New Orleans to Brandon MS

It's hard to soar with the eagles in the morning if you've been hooting with
the owls all night.

To reply, remove 101 from address.
***

"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:49:00 +0100, in rec.photo.digital Andy
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
>>to choose a digital camera.
>>
>>The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
>>page generated a shortlist of cameras.

> http://www.dpreview.com
> --
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

Lin Chung

http://www.myproductadvisor.com/mpa/...nputSummary.do

--
Lin Chung.
[Replace "the Water Margin" with "ntlworld" for e-mail].

Rob-L

www.imaging-resource.com

www.dpreview.com

Rob-L in L.V.

----*

thelawnet@gmail.com

Andy wrote:
> A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
> to choose a digital camera.
>
> The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
> page generated a shortlist of cameras.

I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.

I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
there.

They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

erics

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

> Andy wrote:
>> A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
>> to choose a digital camera.
>>
>> The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
>> page generated a shortlist of cameras.

> I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.
>
> I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
> http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
> there.
>
> They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
> each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
> like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
> ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
your selected criteria, whereas you have to do it manually.

thelawnet@gmail.com

erics wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Andy wrote:
> >> A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
> >> to choose a digital camera.
> >>
> >> The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
> >> page generated a shortlist of cameras.

> > I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.
> >
> > I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
> > http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
> > there.
> >
> > They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
> > each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
> > like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
> > ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

> The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
> your selected criteria,

Which is not a very good idea.... It's the Argos catalogue approach.
They sell washing machines, etc. on the basis of numbers 'this one is
1400 spin', 'this one is 1200', so the 1400 must be better.

You can go into Dixons and they will say 'ow many megapixels do you
want', which is a pretty stupid question for most people, as pretty
much any digital camera has enough megapixels, but not all cameras are
equal in quality. On this basis they will end up selling you a crappy
Praktica '8 mega pixel' (which is actually interpolated and isn't 8
megapixel at all, and has a tiny CCD)

> whereas you have to do it manually.

It's not that hard. You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
research.

erics

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

erics wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >
> > Andy wrote:
> >> A few months ago I saw a snazzy looking web site which helped the user
> >> to choose a digital camera.
> >>
> >> The user put in various data like price, weight, usage, etc and the web
> >> page generated a shortlist of cameras.

> > I don't think you can really do that successfully with cameras.
> >
> > I have bought my last two cameras from reading through
> > http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/, and then reading the reviews
> > there.
> >
> > They've got recommendations in each price range, and you can look at
> > each and basically decide whether you want an SLR, something that looks
> > like an SLR but isn't, a mid-sized camera, a smaller camera, or an
> > ultra-thin camera. Take a look at the reviews and take your pick.....

> The website they want is just automatically filtering the cameras that fit
> your selected criteria,

>> Which is not a very good idea....

Don't be stupid, of course it is a good idea. If I have already decided I
want a camera that costs less than 200, is a compact format, and takes CF
cards, why would I want to look at a camera that costs 600, is an SLR
format, and takes SD cards?

>> It's the Argos catalogue approach.
>> They sell washing machines, etc. on the basis of numbers 'this one is
>> 1400 spin', 'this one is 1200', so the 1400 must be better.

It's the purchaser that is deciding 1400 is better, not argos - they just
provide the info and the user filters out what they consider to be inferior.

>> You can go into Dixons and they will say 'ow many megapixels do you
>> want', which is a pretty stupid question for most people, as pretty
>> much any digital camera has enough megapixels, but not all cameras are
>> equal in quality. On this basis they will end up selling you a crappy
>> Praktica '8 mega pixel' (which is actually interpolated and isn't 8
>> megapixel at all, and has a tiny CCD)

A lot of people equate pixels to quality which as you point out is not
always true. The salesman is doing what he needs to make a sale. You do not
have to filter out cameras based on the number of pixels, or you can specify
a range which is important if you want to print out huge prints. It is no
use getting a 2 mega pixel camera which gives great 4x6 prints if you really
want to produce great A3 sized prints, because no matter how good that
camera is, at that size its prints will look pixelated.

> whereas you have to do it manually.

>> It's not that hard.

Its not, and what you do CAN be automated. You are only applying a set of
simple rules to filter the search - something a site could easily do as
well.

> You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
> something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
> 300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
> For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
> you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
> research.

So in a filter system you select
* image stabilazation
* long zoon lens
* SLR/compact/
* Price range
etc

and then look at the cameras that match your filter selections and reviews
of them.

thelawnet@gmail.com

erics wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> A lot of people equate pixels to quality which as you point out is not
> always true. The salesman is doing what he needs to make a sale. You do not
> have to filter out cameras based on the number of pixels, or you can specify
> a range which is important if you want to print out huge prints. It is no
> use getting a 2 mega pixel camera which gives great 4x6 prints if you really
> want to produce great A3 sized prints, because no matter how good that
> camera is, at that size its prints will look pixelated.

There are no longer any 2 megapixel digital cameras on sale. Any camera
costing 100 or more these days will have more than enough megapixels
for someone who's not a camera pro. What they might not have is a good
quality picture. But enough megapixels yes.

> > You can buy something pretty basic for 100ish,
> > something better for 200, or something quite nice indeed for about
> > 300. If you are a pro, you will get a digital SLR, and a fancy lens.
> > For most people it comes down to size and image quality, plus whether
> > you want image stabilization, a long zoom, etc. It pays to do your
> > research.

> So in a filter system you select
> * image stabilazation
> * long zoon lens
> * SLR/compact/
> * Price range
> etc
>
> and then look at the cameras that match your filter selections and reviews
> of them.

But all the cameras matching those criteria might be crap. It's easier
to look at best of breed and then decide which of those best suits your
needs.