Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dixon's, major UK camera shops, to drop 35mm

Dixon's, major UK camera shops, to drop 35mm

PossumTrot

They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
The article did not say they would not special order, though.

Paul Heslop

PossumTrot wrote:

> They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
> The article did not say they would not special order, though.

sorry to rain on your parade, but did you check the date of that
article? :O)

Monday, 8 August 2005, 13:47 GMT 14:47 UK

--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look

Scott W

PossumTrot wrote:

> They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
> The article did not say they would not special order, though.

They said they would keep selling their current stock, that should last
for a very long time.

Scott

Roy G

"PossumTrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:44d2042a$0$5316$(E-Mail Removed)...

> They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking
> them. The article did not say they would not special order, though.

Good grief.

It is a year since this happened.

It was about time that Dixons did some sort of favour to photographers, why
are they only restricting it to film photographers.

Perhaps with a bit of luck, some of their staff might now have a clue about
some of the items they do stock.

Roy G

Paul Heslop

Roy G wrote:

> "PossumTrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:44d2042a$0$5316$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4130620.stm
> >
> > They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking
> > them. The article did not say they would not special order, though.
> >

> > --

> Good grief.
>
> It is a year since this happened.
>
> It was about time that Dixons did some sort of favour to photographers, why
> are they only restricting it to film photographers.
>
> Perhaps with a bit of luck, some of their staff might now have a clue about
> some of the items they do stock.
>
> Roy G

heh heh
--
Paul (Remembering games and daisy chains and laughs)
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/

Bill

PossumTrot wrote:

>They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
>The article did not say they would not special order, though.

What's a 35mm camera?

Film is dead! Long live digital!

Stewy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> PossumTrot wrote:
>
> >They've been selling 35mm cameras for 69 years, now to cease stocking them.
> >The article did not say they would not special order, though.

> What's a 35mm camera?
>
> Film is dead! Long live digital!

For me, digital put a whole new lease of life back into my (amateur)
photography. Instead of waiting weeks to either finish a roll (or
wastefully use it up) or wishing I'd used Kodacolor 400 instead of 100.

Results right here, right now was the way to go. The only problems I had
back in 2001 was the Sony camera memory stick was way over-priced then -
a 128mb stick sold for around $200 here in japan.

Fortunately I've graduated to a more user (and wallet) friendly Fuji
S7000.

I have been experimenting with stereo photography linking 2 Fiji F440s
together, but maybe that won't replace my David White Stereo Realist.
Lets hope film (especially slide film) sticks around for years to come.