Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Bulk Scanning of Photo Prints - Fujistsu ScanSnap S500

Bulk Scanning of Photo Prints - Fujistsu ScanSnap S500

Butch Lacadie

Hi,
I own 4 digital cameras and don't have to worry about
digital copies of photos I take now. It's the stacks
of prints I have from the old days I want digital copies
of. I know there are services out there, I know there are
flatbed scanners that I could spend the next month scanning
in all these photos. But here is my question:

Has anyone used the Fujitsu ScanSnap S500 or similar model
to scan bulk numbers of photos? I am especially interested
in the S500 Model because it's a sheetfed screamer. None of the
reviews I've seen mention this specific need.

You know, there is nothing out there any good that is specifically
designed to handle bulk photos. I have and old HP Scanjet
5S that is better than anything out there now but I need something
real good.

Butch

Stewy

In article <4y4Ag.15021$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Butch Lacadie <hlacadi1/nospam/@maine.rr.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I own 4 digital cameras and don't have to worry about
> digital copies of photos I take now. It's the stacks
> of prints I have from the old days I want digital copies
> of. I know there are services out there, I know there are
> flatbed scanners that I could spend the next month scanning
> in all these photos. But here is my question:
>
> Has anyone used the Fujitsu ScanSnap S500 or similar model
> to scan bulk numbers of photos? I am especially interested
> in the S500 Model because it's a sheetfed screamer. None of the
> reviews I've seen mention this specific need.
>
> You know, there is nothing out there any good that is specifically
> designed to handle bulk photos. I have and old HP Scanjet
> 5S that is better than anything out there now but I need something
> real good.

The Fujitsu is designed for scanning documents and you may be
disappointed with the quality of photograph scans.

John Faughnan

I came here looking for information on the same question. I have found
one review:

http://www.creatrope.com/blog/resour...photographs-2/

I'd like to learn more. The quality won't compare to a flat bed, but my
strategy would be to scan 80% of my old prints and then use a negative
scanner on the very best. Speed and convenience is more important than
quality.

I'd like to hear from someone else who tries this ...

Let us know what you learn.

john

meta: jfaughnan, jgfaughnan, sheet feeder, scanner, prints, bulk
scanning, Fujitsu