Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Protecting the LCD

Protecting the LCD

BRH

I received my new Panasonic FZ7 and few days ago. Now I'm interested in
protecting the LCD screen. Someone here suggested the clearfilm
protectors for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to
apply it to the screen so that there are no bubbles. (OK -- so I'm
clumsy....)

Are there any devices available that would protect the LCD screen? I
came across this at a camera store:

http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/index.html

and wonder whether anyone here has used one. I'm not so interested in
the hood, but it appears that it would protect the screen.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Bucky

BRH wrote:
> Someone here suggested the clearfilm
> protectors for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to
> apply it to the screen so that there are no bubbles

See if you can buy it at a smaller, full-service store where they will
apply the clearfilm for you.

I discovered pretty noticeable scratches on my LCD screen after a
month, and I was pretty devastated, thinking it was permanent. My
friend brought me to a cell phone store where they sold cell phone
films. The woman there was extremely skilled. She cleaned off the LCD
with some wipes, then used tape to remove the dust in the scratches (I
wouldn't have known to do that). Then she cut the film to an exact size
and applied it with no bubbles whatsoever. Amazingly, I could not even
tell there were scratches anymore. It was a little pricey, I think
costed around $7-8 USD, but absolutely worth it. (The catch is that
this place was in Asia, I don't know if they do this for you in North
America).

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, BRH <BRH>
wrote:

> I received my new Panasonic FZ7 and few days ago. Now I'm interested in
> protecting the LCD screen. Someone here suggested the clearfilm
> protectors for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to
> apply it to the screen so that there are no bubbles. (OK -- so I'm
> clumsy....)
>
> Are there any devices available that would protect the LCD screen? I
> came across this at a camera store:
>
> http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/index.html
>
> and wonder whether anyone here has used one. I'm not so interested in
> the hood, but it appears that it would protect the screen.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

Giottos has ones that are cut to size when you get them and lie flat
with no bubbles. They come with a card that is used to rub across the
screen as you apply them so they remove the air bells. They are a bit
thicker which also helps to eliminate air bells. They are inexpensive.
Come 3 to a pack + a micr fiber cloth to clean the screen and the
scraper. List price is less then $8.00 a pack.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

[BnH]

Try this guys

http://www.daproducts.com/

=bob=

<BRH> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>I received my new Panasonic FZ7 and few days ago. Now I'm interested in
>protecting the LCD screen. Someone here suggested the clearfilm protectors
>for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to apply it to
>the screen so that there are no bubbles. (OK -- so I'm clumsy....)

irwell

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 15:41:10 -0400, BRH <BRH> wrote:

>I received my new Panasonic FZ7 and few days ago. Now I'm interested in
>protecting the LCD screen. Someone here suggested the clearfilm
>protectors for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to
>apply it to the screen so that there are no bubbles. (OK -- so I'm
>clumsy....)
>
>Are there any devices available that would protect the LCD screen? I
>came across this at a camera store:
>
>http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/index.html
>
>and wonder whether anyone here has used one. I'm not so interested in
>the hood, but it appears that it would protect the screen.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>Thanks!

Not worth the worry, the LCD screen is only an approximation anyway,
the final results will be on your computer or printed photo.

Marvin

BRH wrote:
> I received my new Panasonic FZ7 and few days ago. Now I'm interested in
> protecting the LCD screen. Someone here suggested the clearfilm
> protectors for PDA's, cut down to size. I tried that, but can't seem to
> apply it to the screen so that there are no bubbles. (OK -- so I'm
> clumsy....)
>
> Are there any devices available that would protect the LCD screen? I
> came across this at a camera store:
>
> http://www.delkin.com/products/popupshades/index.html
>
> and wonder whether anyone here has used one. I'm not so interested in
> the hood, but it appears that it would protect the screen.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks!

Get a solid plastic shield at
http://daproducts.com/proselect.htm.
Some cameras come with shields like this, including my
Panasonic LZ3. I don't see the FZ7 listed there, but pick
another that has the right size for your screen, and will be
fine. I've used these shields on other cameras.