Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > HELP - Need a quick suggestion

HELP - Need a quick suggestion

Sven Vandermaas

I shot a wedding not so long ago, and that was late afternoon. Because there
was still a lot of sun there, I tried several things, and I got good results
with a polarizer, and I used my flash all the time.

Are you shooting digital or with film ??

Sven

--
**************************************
Sven Vandermaas
"BD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey, all.
>
> I'm shooting a wedding next week. My first one. But let's not get into
> that.
>
> I'm hoping it will be an overcast day - but in case it is not, and I
> have a sun to deal with, I am concerned about too much sharp light for
> good outdoor portraits.
>
> I do have a gold/silver bounce reflector (42'), which should help.
>
> But I fear I will need some kind of large-ish diffuser that I would ask
> someone to hold overtop of the subject as I shoot outdoor portraits.
>
> I am looking to build something, so I tried a large ring of metal, of
> the kind used for eavestroughing. I would put a large circular patch of
> fabric around it, and ask someone to hold it above the subject to ease
> the sunlight. I had envisioned putting it at the end of a large rod, so
> that it could be held from a few feet away, keeping the 'holder' out of
> the shot.
>
> Sadly, this idea looks optimistic - the metal seems too weak to support
> itself.
>
> Has anyone tried a home-brew solution for a diffuser such as this?
>
> I'd appreciate suggestions...
>
> BD

dadiOH

BD wrote:
> Hey, all.
>
> I'm shooting a wedding next week. My first one. But let's not get into
> that.
>
> I'm hoping it will be an overcast day - but in case it is not, and I
> have a sun to deal with, I am concerned about too much sharp light for
> good outdoor portraits.
>
> I do have a gold/silver bounce reflector (42'), which should help.
>
> But I fear I will need some kind of large-ish diffuser that I would
> ask someone to hold overtop of the subject as I shoot outdoor
> portraits.

You already have decent suggestions for making a frame for your scrim. I
just wanted to point out that you should be aware of your background when
using one...it will reduce the top light on your subject by a couple of
stops and if your background is brightly lighted it may burn out.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

tomm42

BD wrote:
> Hey, all.
>
> I'm shooting a wedding next week. My first one. But let's not get into
> that.
>
> I'm hoping it will be an overcast day - but in case it is not, and I
> have a sun to deal with, I am concerned about too much sharp light for
> good outdoor portraits.
>
> I do have a gold/silver bounce reflector (42'), which should help.
>
> But I fear I will need some kind of large-ish diffuser that I would ask
> someone to hold overtop of the subject as I shoot outdoor portraits.
>
> I am looking to build something, so I tried a large ring of metal, of
> the kind used for eavestroughing. I would put a large circular patch of
> fabric around it, and ask someone to hold it above the subject to ease
> the sunlight. I had envisioned putting it at the end of a large rod, so
> that it could be held from a few feet away, keeping the 'holder' out of
> the shot.
>
> Sadly, this idea looks optimistic - the metal seems too weak to support
> itself.
>
> Has anyone tried a home-brew solution for a diffuser such as this?
>
> I'd appreciate suggestions...
>
> BD

Lightforms, will cost about $100 for a 44 inch square. They have
replaceable fabrics, diffusers, reflectors, black. Calumet or B&H
should have them. Very light weight so if you attach them to a stand
have some weight on the stand. Wonderful product.

Tom

BD

> My advice to you would be to ask them to get a pro and then to just take
> the pictures that you want. They will thank you in the end.>

Wow - all these oh-so-helpful suggestions.

I ask how to fix the radio in my Mustang, they say I should get a
Camaro. *Brilliant*.

BD

> just wanted to point out that you should be aware of your background when
> using one...it will reduce the top light on your subject by a couple of
> stops and if your background is brightly lighted it may burn out.

That's actually very helpful - I don't know if I would have
'intellectually' considered that, but I hope that I might 'intuit' the
excess contrast in the image if that occurs.

I suppose that intuitively, I'd be avoiding severely bright backgrounds
like open sky, if only for the sake of making the images interesting. I
expect that even if the sun were very bright and directly overhead, I'd
make an effort to stage the shots such that there were trees in the
background or some such - which should help with blown-out skies.

Thanks!

BD

> All in all, I would recommend that unless you have studied how it is
> done professionally and are fully competent with (and have backups for
> every item of) your equipment, then think again. If you are worried..
> then you probably *should be*! (O:

Well, I haven't studied the 'process' of shooting weddings very much -
but I have done the following:

-Walked through the whole site with the bride and groom; We spent a
couple of hours going over the area and discussing ideas.
-Asked them what they wanted (they're letting me govern that, which
kind of sucks)
-Mentioned several specific shots that I would like, in several
specific areas of the site
-Arranged for one additional protographer, who has the same model gear
as I do. This will make for redundancy of everything, down to the
camera body. There may in fact be three shooters - none professional,
but all very capable.
-'Documented' the site of the ceremony, taking wide-angle shots of the
whole area - and decided with the bride and groom where they will be
standing, and where the photographers will be.
-Discussed 'access' to the couple during the ceremony from the best
possible angles. Provisions will be made such that these vantage points
are clear.

-All shooters have at least 200mm lenses with 1.4x teleconverters, so
we won't get in anyone's face during the ceremony.

And what I _will_ do is bring a 'checklist' of specific shots that I
want, so I don't forget.

And of course, everything will be shot in RAW.

The other shooter will also hold the bounce reflector, should it become
necessary.

> fill-flash (about one stop down) with a good (powerful) flash with
> diffuser.

For a flash diffuser I got the Lumiquest bounce kit, with the 80/20, a
white/gold/silver card set, and a diffuser. Should help.

> By the way, what contingency plans for rain/storm? Like I said -
> everything must have a backup that you are comfortable with... (O:

I have discussed that with the bride and groom. The reception is being
held in a covered area - envision a barn with no walls. So, if it's
stormy, we'll do what we can, but I made it clear that expectations
must be reduced if we're forced to do only indoor. And they're fine
with that, they're not unreasonable.

**On the plus side, I did take one of the sample shots, stuffed it in
Photoshop, converted it to Sepia, added a slight Diffuse Glow and a
subtle Canvas Texturizer texture, and she said she LOVED the effect.
Point being, I should be able to make the images more interesting in
Post.

Roy G

"BD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey, all.

Hi.

I hope you know just how stressfull a situation you are getting yourself
into.

While your idea of a diffuser / reflector may seem like a good one, a
Wedding is not the place to attempt to use any piece of equipment for the
first, second or third time. Only use equipment with which you are already
very comfortable.

You should really only have to think about the pictures you are taking or
are about to take next. Using your equipment should almost be a reflex
action, and should not take your attention away from the subjects.

It has already been suggested that Fill Flash would be much simpler, than
starting to mess around with diffusers and reflectors.

If you are already competent with that technique, then that is what you
should do. If not then you have 1 week to practice and practice until you
are competent.

If you are not very careful this wedding will turn into a disaster and you
could become a social outcast. An irate Mother of the Bride is a formidable
foe.

Roy G

BD

> If you are not very careful this wedding will turn into a disaster and you
> could become a social outcast. An irate Mother of the Bride is a formidable
> foe.

Well, lucky me, I think I'll be alright. The fellow I am bringing with
me has another friend who has a 30D, L-class lenses, and specializes in
portraits (he does really nice work). This fellow will also be coming
out to shoot. So we will have considerable ability on-hand.

So I think it _won't_ turn into a disaster.

But, all will be revealed this Saturday. The forecast is favorable,
weather-wise.

BD

> Are you shooting digital or with film ??

Digital. I have a 6MP Rebel, as does the second fellow. We will also
have a 3rd person on-hand, who has a 30D. The other guys have better
lenses than I do - all L-Class Canon lenses.

BD

> While your idea of a diffuser / reflector may seem like a good one, a
> Wedding is not the place to attempt to use any piece of equipment for the
> first, second or third time. Only use equipment with which you are already
> very comfortable.

BTW - I do agree with you here.

Adding quick-release to a non-quick-release tripod head ste7esmith@hotmail.com Digital Photography 4 11-20-2006 03:19 PM
Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM
PanasonicBQ390 "quick" charger - How quick? Ol' Bab Digital Photography 1 01-17-2004 06:54 AM

Advertisments