Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > JPEG active content / resolution problem

JPEG active content / resolution problem

Steve Pope

My apologies is this is a FAQ.

I have a situation where JPEG files (back from a photofinisher)
have (what I think may be) "active content" causing them to
display at low resolution. If I view the files using an
old enough browser (IE 5.0), they look fine; but when viewing with
a modern browser the image loads, and then immediately switches
to a smaller, lower-res display.

Is there a way to filter such a file (say with a linux utility) and
obtain a normal JPEG at full resolution?

Thanks,

Steve

Bob Williams

Steve Pope wrote:

> My apologies is this is a FAQ.
>
> I have a situation where JPEG files (back from a photofinisher)
> have (what I think may be) "active content" causing them to
> display at low resolution. If I view the files using an
> old enough browser (IE 5.0), they look fine; but when viewing with
> a modern browser the image loads, and then immediately switches
> to a smaller, lower-res display.
>
> Is there a way to filter such a file (say with a linux utility) and
> obtain a normal JPEG at full resolution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Does the small image display a hand or finger when you pass your cursor
over it? If so, click the image again and it may display as a larger
image........Bob Williams

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

Are you sure you haven't just got 'resize-images-to-fit-browser-window'
turned on in your browser?

Try viewing them in a real image browser, eg Irfanview.

Steve Pope wrote:
> My apologies is this is a FAQ.
>
> I have a situation where JPEG files (back from a photofinisher)
> have (what I think may be) "active content" causing them to
> display at low resolution. If I view the files using an
> old enough browser (IE 5.0), they look fine; but when viewing with
> a modern browser the image loads, and then immediately switches
> to a smaller, lower-res display.
>
> Is there a way to filter such a file (say with a linux utility) and
> obtain a normal JPEG at full resolution?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

Matt Ion

Steve Pope wrote:
> My apologies is this is a FAQ.
>
> I have a situation where JPEG files (back from a photofinisher)
> have (what I think may be) "active content" causing them to
> display at low resolution. If I view the files using an
> old enough browser (IE 5.0), they look fine; but when viewing with
> a modern browser the image loads, and then immediately switches
> to a smaller, lower-res display.
>
> Is there a way to filter such a file (say with a linux utility) and
> obtain a normal JPEG at full resolution?

That's a "feature" of most newer browsers, to resize large images to fit within
the browser window. In IE6 and higher, if you put the pointer over the picture,
in a couple seconds you'll get a little icon in the bottom-right that will
expand the pic to full size when you click it.

A better idea is to use a real photo viewer instead of a web browser. Download
IrfanView (www.irfanview.com) and when installing, allow it to associate all
image files with itself.

Steve Pope

Thanks everyone for your advice -- in fact the browser was
re-sizing the JPEG, and turning this feature off solved the
immediate problem.

A second, unrelated problem that was also confusing me is that
the CD that comes back from the photofinisher actually has
both high-res (~1.1 MB) and low-res (~60 kB) versions of the
images in different directories; and the command for "copy all
images to computer" in the Fujifilm software on the CD copies
only the low-res images. I suppose their assumption is most
people prefer the lower res images because they load quicker
and save space.

Steve

Matt Ion

Steve Pope wrote:
> Thanks everyone for your advice -- in fact the browser was
> re-sizing the JPEG, and turning this feature off solved the
> immediate problem.
>
> A second, unrelated problem that was also confusing me is that
> the CD that comes back from the photofinisher actually has
> both high-res (~1.1 MB) and low-res (~60 kB) versions of the
> images in different directories; and the command for "copy all
> images to computer" in the Fujifilm software on the CD copies
> only the low-res images. I suppose their assumption is most
> people prefer the lower res images because they load quicker
> and save space.

More likely it copies BOTH sets into the same folder - large ones first, then
overwrites them with the small ones.